<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Two Iraq armor questions. What is the FS number for the desert tan color and second

June 25 2012 at 5:56 PM
Lance  (Login Vondra)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 74.37.249.219

I've been out of the armor business building aircraft for 20 some years but wanted to do a few for a change. I've got the M2A2 Bradley ODS kit and wondered what techniques you all use for painting the rubber wheels on all those road wheels. Do I still have to use the old paint brush method and spend boring hours doing it just like the old days or is there some new fangled technique to save time on this process? Thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Painting

June 26 2012, 4:57 AM 

You can buy pre cut wheel masks these days to mask and airbrush tank wheels. On the other hand, it takes longer to mask the wheels than it does to just paint them by brush in most cases. Modern tanks have relatively few wheels, with large tires and prominent rims, making painting fairly quick and easy. You can also get an artists circle template and spray the wheels through the appropriate size hole. basically you paint the tires first, hold the wheel behind the template, and spray the wheel hub.

The FS number for modern US tanks is 33446. Testors makes it in acrylic and enamel although I dont think they assign the FS number to it. AK Interactive (Vallejo) make a really good version too.

Respond to this message   

Matthew Q
(Login matthewq)
HyperScale Forums

I concur

June 26 2012, 5:31 AM 

Circle template is what I use. Unless you are building a vehicle that hasn't seen much use in the dirt, you don't have to be precise and even then you don't really need to be. Much of the suspension gets dusty dirty so you get away with some goofs here and there. We never used any masks when we painted our vehicles. Over spray was pretty common on the rubber areas.
As David said, spray the wheel black overall, then cover the outer rubber areas with the appropriate sized hole and shoot the inner wheel/hub area. "Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
HyperScale Forums

Bradley rubber rim

June 26 2012, 5:44 AM 

The Bradley's rubber rim on the road wheel is smooth where the rubber meets the metal. There's no lip. The road wheels are spray painted and the rubber's elasticity eventually flakes off the paint. Most AFVs originally made by FMC (now BAE) used the same road wheels like the AAV7A1, Bradley, MLRS, and M109 howitzer series.

[linked image]

RobG

Respond to this message   
Lance
(Login Vondra)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks guys that is what I needed. Looks like those wheels are in need of a change soon

June 26 2012, 6:07 AM 

Respond to this message   

Rob Gronovius
(Login rgronovius)
HyperScale Forums

Nothing wrong with that road wheel

June 26 2012, 7:26 AM 

looks virtually brand new.

RobG

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Tank Talk requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server. Off-topic posts will also be removed from the server. Repeat offenders will be blocked from accessing all of HyperScale's Forums.

In addition, "Tank Talk" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters