<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The new Tamiya Yamato is about ready for her review.

January 29 2012 at 10:34 AM

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 68.23.139.165

Yamato 207

Yamato 206

Yamato 205

Yamato 203

Yamato 204

Yamato 200

Yamato 199

Some lint clean-up, probably some paint touch-up, a few little things to fix or straighten or ignore. I'm going to be sorry to see her finished. It was a fun build from beginning to end. Not blood free, not pain free, not stress free for sure, but FUN all the same. I'm just glad that all kits aren't this much fun because I'd never get out of the hobby room! happy.gif

Total parts count is approximately 1639. Depending on the options you pick you use about 1486 of them. I was actually a bit surprised the parts count was that low. I was sure it was closer to 2500. It sure seemed that high at times. wink.gif

Look for a full review in Fine Scale Magazine about April or so.

[linked image] Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

This message has been edited by BrunoSchielzeth from IP address 68.23.139.165 on Jan 29, 2012 1:42 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ESzczesniak)
HyperScale Forums

Seeming more and more like I'm going to be "forced" to buy one of these...

January 29 2012, 2:36 PM 

Just a beautiful looking kit.

Respond to this message   

(Login stevegallacci)
HyperScale Forums

Yamato kit is wonderious

January 29 2012, 11:13 PM 

My build isn't nearly complete, but is coming along well. Saw the extra railing stanchions set and it is much more petite than I would have expected. I'm still going with my steel wire option though, and adding a bunch of extra railing details, using modified generic railings.
The really great thing about this kit is, though it has a zillion parts, with the quality of the tooling and thoroughness of the instructions, it is a surprisingly easy, though time-consuming build.

Respond to this message   
Steve Jantscher
(Login zaptherios)
HyperScale Forums

Good Job Bruno

January 29 2012, 11:19 PM 

Bruno,
I can tell from the photos that your hands were shaking! You ran a marathon with that kit. Better and faster than I could have done. Right now I'm picking my way through the construction, one small sub-assembly at a time, and not necessarily in order.
I read your earlier summing up comments below and they were most laudatory. Now I want the dirt. What do you think of the stickers? I see you used the linoleum aircraft deck as well as those on the ventilator assemblies. Did you use the gun turret visor stickers? I can't really tell from the photos.
How did the deck finally go together for you? We had discussed some fit problems some other builders experienced. Did they show up on your example? Any other final fit problems? As an aside, so far in my three weeks of construction, I've had no fit problems other than the aforementioned hull/deck fit issues.
Did you use the plastic kit 18" barrels or the after market Tamiya set?
I see you painted the ammo boxes a "tan" color. Did you have some reference showing that color? It was my understanding that these were steel ammo cases welded to the deck. Ready ammo lockers as it were. I was planning on painting them the hull grey color.
More close ups would be appreciated.
Again, congrats for finishing this monster on deadline. I couldn't see doing something like that. It would ruin the experience for me, but "horses for courses..."
Thanks again for sharing,
Steve Jantscher
PS: More close up photos, please.

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

Down and dirty? Well the fact that you couldn't tell if I used the shutter stickers

January 30 2012, 7:08 AM 

says a lot. I tried them on several directors and guns and gave up. Cutting them out of the sheet one at a time really sucked and you might be able to notice that the linoleum tracks started to bubble a day or so after I put them down. And that is Tamiya's own paints under them. The shutters would have been better represented by a couple of scratches in the molds IMHO. The linoleum could easily have been decals. I didn't like the sticker thing at all.

I had no issues with the deck to hull fit. You just have to have three or four hands to get the bow section to fit the mid-section to fit the stern section by loosening the screws and gently shoving things around to eliminate any gaps on the hull sides and then tighten the screws again. I actually had to hire the wife to man the screwdriver for finally assembly. wink.gif In the end I didn't have to modify or trim anything to get a gap-free upper deck. There were gaps side to side but they were easily handled with thin glue and finger pressure. I was happy with the fit.

The boxes are wooden crates holding the 25 mm ammo magazines. They had dozens of low carts hauling box after box to the gun crews by a huge bunch of deck hands. From the pictures and descriptions the boxes were loosely stored near the guns for instant use if needed. They would supply some ammo until the deck hands could drag up more from the magazines. For whatever reason the Japanese didn't put Ready Ammo lockers down for the added guns for operation Ten'-ichigo. Probably lack of time and lack of material? The final refitting of the Yamato was pretty much a last minute upgrade to every spare gun they had in Kure.

The Ready Ammo lockers for the original guns were just inside the bulkheads near the guns.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

your build probably has sold a kit here

January 30 2012, 5:42 AM 

I had debated about buying the new kit since I have or have built most of the other medium to large size Yamato kits. But, your build and the kit are so good I decided to buy one this spring/summer.

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

Good to hear David. I've built about three dozen ships in the last few years.

January 30 2012, 7:23 AM 

Some have been detailed to the max but a pain to assemble. Some were lacking detail but easy to build. A few have been basically near perfect. This kit is detailed to the max, fits well, and as close to perfect as anything I have touched. Just stock up on thin glue, sharp blades and good nippers because you will be needing them. And keep the magnifier close by. You will need that too. happy.gif

Hopefully someone will come out with some decals to replace the sticker thing? The massive railing set looks good, but it can't be added after the build and I knew instantly I would never have time to use it and still get the ship done by February 1st. I think I'm going to use it on the older Mogami I have in the display case. At least the Mogami is more open and easier to add the bits to. I'm sure WEM or any of the other makers of PE will be releasing a set of easier to use railings for this kit. Oddly I don't miss the railings that much on the Yamato. It's so cluttered already that you hardly notice. But the WOW factor would sure rise with full railings and at least most of the rigging done.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

I would add the railings

January 30 2012, 5:50 PM 

at least some... but your model looks perfectly fine. I just figure I would regret not doing the rails. I need to get some for my big 1/200 Yamato kit... it has rather crude steel wires

Respond to this message   
Jonathan Primm
(Login JHSE1030)
HyperScale Forums

This build DID influence me to buy one...

January 31 2012, 8:58 AM 

At first, I was hesitant becuase I've got the older (1980s) version in the stash which, imho, is still a very nice kit, but after seeing the progress and the amount of detail on the new release, I went ahead and bought one.

Now, I just have to figure out what the differences are between the new kit and what it would take to finish the older kit as Musashi.

Respond to this message   

(Login Obadiah)
HyperScale Forums

hats off to you!

January 30 2012, 12:41 PM 

I never really was impressed with the yamato, but that is certainly an impressive model!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

Respond to this message   
Pat Donahue
(Login pat9d)
HyperScale Forums

Bruno, thanks for taking us along for the ride. Amazing

January 30 2012, 4:47 PM 

that you were able to get this monster built to the deadline, I'd still be opening the shrink wrap and reading the instructions. I think it looks splendid! Best, Pat

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login seafirexv)
HyperScale Forums

Grand, absolutely grand... particularly working

January 30 2012, 9:12 PM 

at a pace that would make a sane man go screaming into the darkness !

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I'm lucky. I have a large comfortable hobby room WITH a locking door.

February 1 2012, 7:12 AM 

I'm fully retired. My mate understands and likes me building models. She always knows where I am. wink.gif With no other obligations I can put in 10 hour days if I have to. And that has happened far too often.

And the most important thing is that I still enjoy building models. It's still not work. It's fun. Most of the time. I have anywhere from 6 to 12 started models waiting for me to get back and finish them, I have a stash of about 400 more in the basement. It is rare to find my bench empty.

Respond to this message   

(Login chukw)
HyperScale Forums

Once again-

January 31 2012, 8:06 AM 

-you've built a real beauty- cheers, Bruno!

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

From you that makes an impression on me!! I don't have the talents you do sir,

January 31 2012, 11:25 AM 

I am but a humble hack, but I'm glad you like it. I would really love to have this kit to build slowly and properly with all the goodies but that will have to wait. I have a feeling the next version already has a buyer ....... me!! I would love to see either the Musashi or the early Yamato done up with a lot more detail added. It would be totally stunning. There are ships that just deserve more time to build and this was one of them. The kit is fantastic but NO ONE, not even me, can make a truly proper build in only 7 weeks. I came close. Good enough to convince people to buy the kit before it even hit the magazine I guess?

Respond to this message   

(Login chukw)
HyperScale Forums

You are certainly no hack!

February 1 2012, 8:04 AM 

I've always admired and enjoyed your builds- what skill! What knowledge! I'm glad I tracked you down here- we've missed you at MM.... wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login BrunoSchielzeth)
HyperScale Forums

I don't get to MM as often as I used to. Since I can't do reviews for them

February 1 2012, 8:28 AM 

I don't spend much time over there. It's not that I CAN'T do a review there but I don't have the time anymore. I haven't bought my own kits in about two years. Why spend my own money for something? I have plenty to do as it is and they are free. I'm sure I'll be getting another review ship today at the Reviewer's Luncheon. I'm sort of hoping I don't but I have no control over that. I wouldn't mind a month or two to get things done around the house or finish one of my other projects.

Well, time to pack the Yamato and head to Milwaukee for a good meal and some good friends. The guys are really neat. Good builders and a ton of great information and stories around the table. Not to mention some awesome models to look over. happy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The new Tamiya Yamato is about ready for her review.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums visitors to register. If you are already registered to post to Plane Talking, your login will work here too. If you do not have a login, please follow these instructions:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server.

In addition, Ship Chat is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles on HyperScale. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters