<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

frustrating 1/350 Seaview hull seam

April 24 2012 at 9:12 AM

craig  (Login patton45)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 63.241.40.128

its the kind of kit where you have to get the seam right or its the first thing you will always see.

a few small sections I have gotten the seam to disappear but I still feel a slight bulge and when I did a test prime over the seam to see how it looked - well the seam still shows.

I've masked very close to the seam so I would not have to take off a lot of extra putty - maybe that is the problem. I might have to sand down the higher side instead of adding more putty, but I have to be very aware of feathering out the sanding so I don't leave an obvious line...

One good thing about subs with this kind of center seam though is that you always get a second chance with the other side. If this one fails, I can give it one more try.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom Booth
(Login bookmark460)
HyperScale Forums

The bigger (1/128??) one has a pita seam too, but North/South....

April 24 2012, 12:18 PM 

at midpoint. The hull's not that much longer than the 'one piecer' 72nd RoG U-Boat's hull halves. I wish Moebius/Platz had gone that route, even w/ the req'd much longer box and perhaps added cost.

I backed mine w/ a bunch of 1/4" x 1/2 x 12" plex strips after chopping up gaps in all the interior molded bracing. Let the glue set for a couple wks and then had at it. It was an OK kit fit but not OK enuff for me, so lots of thin coats of putty and Mr Surfacer, constant eyeballing down the length. Lots of checking w/ a long steel straight edge. I've wanted a lg scale kit of Seaview for a long time so I wanted zero traces of the joint line and for it to look straight, true, like a one piecer.

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

I don't recall any great problems

April 24 2012, 1:54 PM 

But don't be stingy with the putty either. There is zero surface detail to worry about so you may just need to blend things in a bit better.

Respond to this message   

craig
(Login patton45)
HyperScale Forums

putty

April 24 2012, 3:13 PM 

thx, I am probably trying to get it done with a bare minimum of putty, from years of applying way, way too much.

will make another attempt tonight.

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

When I reviwed the kit a couple years ago (pics)

April 24 2012, 4:40 PM 

I recall saying I had to putty the snot out of it due to poor fit. End result was good, though. I still have some WIP pictures

Some of the filling around the engine housings

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Several layers of filler on the bottom

The top of the tail had poor fit too

And the sail...

I added some interior details

Another obvious mistake on the kit is the front windows are curved but on the filming miniature and full size set they are flat.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums visitors to register. If you are already registered to post to Plane Talking, your login will work here too. If you do not have a login, please follow these instructions:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server.

In addition, Ship Chat is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles on HyperScale. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters