Properties : fact or fiction?March 26 2012 at 3:27 PM
JVH say (Login JVH)
In order to discern fact from fiction, true from false, one must know what fact is. In order to know what fact is - to be able to recognize fact for what it is; to establish it, especially when not directly obvious - one must know what the properties are that define fact, and it helps to know what fallacies are too; we discern the one by the other.
Here's the clincher:
When you are asked to cite the properties that define fact, chances are - although it is very likely you think you have a pretty good beat on what 'fact' entails - you'll discover you can't. Go ahead, take it to the test.....................
rejected and denied by many, accepted and embraced by few : falsifiability
- it is not what we (think we) know that matters, it is what we can show true that does
as the maxim demands; truth is demonstrably fact and fact is demonstrably true
everything else ... mere BS -
New!! Improved!! Now With CD-Formula!!
CD: short for inevitability
- Fact? - Iceman on Mar 26, 2012, 3:37 PM
- Fact - JVH say on Mar 26, 2012, 4:23 PM
- Facts.... - Seoc Colla on Mar 27, 2012, 8:12 AM
- I'm not sure I care much - Mondo on Mar 26, 2012, 8:54 PM
- For things like that... - Pope Reverend I, BV on Mar 27, 2012, 6:06 AM
- One!life > Ponder'ns! - One!life on Mar 27, 2012, 9:31 AM
- Cool - JVH say on Mar 27, 2012, 11:13 AM