Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Hmmmmm
    • Vince (Login MoxiFox)
      Von Klumpen
      Posted Sep 5, 2008 8:16 PM

That IS interesting. I'll have to give that some thought.

(think, think)

Some thoughts ......

B-band has a longer range than G-band because of its lower frequency, so ....... there's a possibility someone is tapping into your router for free service. What kind of security settings do you use?

If you use static addressing, someone can "grab" the address when your computer is turned off. This is a phenomenon that used to happen when ISP's trusted their clients. As long as a client stayed on line, he owned the address. If he turned his machine off, someone else could grab the address and then when the legitimate owner went back on-line, he found himself locked out. NOW, I believe, ISP's check the MAC number to make sure they've got a legitimate client. (Not sure). Therefore, routers come out with the ability to clone network card MAC numbers so that ....... by adding a router to your system, you don't have to contact your ISP to get the router "certified" with them.

Briefly, the MAC #/clone works like this (in case you're unfamiliar with the workings):

You sign up with Shaw and a tech comes over to configure your system. He enters the computer network card's unique serial number (MAC number) into the profile information. You're connected. However, if/when you then change computers, the MAC# changes. You can't get online with the new computer so you have to phone Shaw for a reconnect. This is a pain in the butt. If you buy a router, the router supplies the MAC number because it becomes the gateway. So ...... routers have the ability to read the MAC# of the network card of the former machine connected and duplicate that number for their OWN "network card" out-face. Thus, the ISP doesn't know the difference.

I believe this problem may have been fixed though, by having the MODEM supply the modem's MAC # instead of the computer's number behind it. That would make far more sense.

Anyway, your home router works just like an ISP router so that ...... if you use static addressing and you turn your machine off, someone else can step in and use that address and then your own machine becomes locked out. It's not very hard to guess the IP address either unless you set the range yourself. They're all 192.168.1.xxx and the subnet mask is always the same for home services (255.255.255.0). If you don't set those last 3 xxx numbers high, anyone can guess that your available address may be .2-.10 and in 10 tries, they're in!~

If you use dynamic addressing (DHCP) the lockout problem shouldn't occur UNLESS you have your router restricted to allowing only as many machines as you have connected. Suppose you allow only 2. You turn your machines on and ONE of them will connect but the other one won't because someone else is connected already. In this case you can increase the number to 3 or 4 ......... OR ............... tighten your security so that no outsiders can even gain access.

WEP security is -apparently- quite weak. WPA is better and WPA2 is rock solid. But your router may not have the advanced capability if it's just a B-band. So -conceivably- someone could have cracked your password (which provides the encryption) or ........ they're so good at cracking WEP, they can figure out your new encryption really fast.

On DHCP dynamic addressing, routers tend to (if mine is typical) .......... RETAIN the same lease information indefinitely. So .......... if I have 3 machines connected to addresses 192.168.1.1 ....... .2 ......... .3

They will stay on their same addresses as long as the router is left on. I can turn off the machines every day for weeks on end and they always stay with the same dynamically assigned addresses. If I turn the router OFF though, and then turn it on .............. the very first machine turned on will get the lowest number assigned. The next one will get the next higher number and so on. There's no randomness about it at all! And if I have the NUMBER of computers allowed in the router settings, restricted to -say- 4 and turn on an additional computer, it won't connect. This is a bit of a "problem" for me because I sometimes boot up several virtual machines and each of them has its own virtual network card. So I don't really know what number to restrict the router to.

In reality, I don't have to worry though because I use WPA2 encryption, which makes it nigh impossible for anyone to tap into my wireless system.

-Vince
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)