Andy Griffith Dead at 86 R.I.P.July 3 2012 at 8:48 AM
Annie (Login Aneesa)
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."
Andy Griffith, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.
Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.
Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.
In addition to starring in his show and the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer. Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."
There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.
|This message has been edited by Aneesa on Jul 3, 2012 8:49 AM|
- RIP... enjoyed his shows and movies .. nt - dianamite on Jul 3, 2012, 9:19 AM
- awwww that makes me so sad. RIP nt - mooch on Jul 3, 2012, 10:14 AM
- so sad to loose an american treasure. his life sure was full! - grape on Jul 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
- I was sad to hear this news on the TV this morning. Like many ppl, - sleepless on Jul 3, 2012, 12:14 PM
- Gone fishin' and may he rest in peace. nt - lucky on Jul 3, 2012, 2:18 PM
- So sad RIP. nt - myjimmydog on Jul 4, 2012, 7:01 AM