FREE --Photos
Photos from HS, MS, College by Sherri Cortez at SanDiegoRunners.com

Coaches Wanted  
Resources

Trackmag exclusive pace tables
Single Sheet Version of Daniels VDOT

2014 Results on Home Page

Movin' Shoes Store San Diego Track Magazine

Re: Aerobic Capacity Difference Between Girls and Boys?

by th

Hey Chris! I have been crunching some numbers recently after losing interest for awhile. I should finish up next week some time and I will post a summary of my findings. I do have a snippet of info for you, however. After omitting outliers, indeterminates (those who finish ahead of or behind all members of the other group or have no change in rank from the SDS race to the state race, a la Mike Stinson), division 1 and 5 (due to the affect of crowding or lack of competition at the SDS meet, a la Golden Snitch), and running a test (still incomplete) on the remaining top 12 in each of 2 groups, the NGM (NCC, Grossmont and Metro) and the CCCI (City, Coastal, Citrus and IV) the result when I combine the girls results with the opposites of the boys results still gives me a significant p-value of about 0.03.

I will try to talk my friend Chris Christopher, formerly Ernie Portee, teammate on the 1962 CCAA championship CC team and retired exercise physiology professor at Santa Rosa College, to comment on the "Scientific" basis for having girls run shorter races in cross country. But just to add to this part of the discussion, I tracked how far all girls who participated in the SDS and state meets for 2006 to 2008, and just to put an example out there, in 2006, the NCC girls teams averaged about 23.6 miles of racing prior to CIF, the City Conference girls teams averaged about 24.2 miles of racing and the Coastal Conference girls teams averaged about 18.9 miles of racing prior to CIF. For those of you who may not know, the city girls run their league meets at Morley Field on a 3 mile course and the coastal girls run their league meets on 5K courses. I found no difference overall in the performance of city vs coastal at SDS and state in a test to see total racing distance played a roll. In fact, OLP race over 30 miles in 2006 and Sammy Silva still got 5th at state. I don't know if she ran in all of OPL's meets, however. I am an advocate of reducing the total number of races an athlete races in a season, however I have no evidence to support this. But this doesn't mean that evidence is not out there somewhere. Anyway, there is not much difference between the total mile raced in a season for the girls of the NCC and City Conference.

I think the JV girls in the City Conference run the 3 mile course in league meets. Someone please correct me if I am wrong about this. A couple of years ago I was looking at Athletic.net and noticed some results for a meet Cathedral Catholic was in. I counted something like 45+ girls that there were results for. I don't think the extra milage is scaring them off, unless their coach has something on them as "leverage".

Anyway, I think the schools of the NGM can raise the distance to 3 miles and keep or even reduce the total milage raced by having at least one double dual meet a season or switching to cluster meets as many of the SS, coastal and citrus schools do.

My 2 cents...
Ted Hack

Posted on Aug 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
from IP address 68.8.193.91

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

There are only two true sports: Track and Cross Country.
All the rest are just games.