Adventures in Airguns Store

May 2014 bring you many days of happy airgunning!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

legal stats of big bore air rifles? can felons own or use them?

November 4 2011 at 1:07 AM

Jeff  (Login iowahunter123)
from IP address 68.28.91.112

I have a friend that was convicted of a felony about 10 years ago. ( a little too much of that green leafy drug that all the kids are ODing on). Anyway due to this he is no longer able to own or shoot "firearms". He has made his peace with this and become a avid bow hunter. Well i was talking with him the other day and talked to him about getting into air guns. Then started telling him about big bore air guns and pcp guns. His first reaction was the same as mine before i became more informed "hunting big game with a bb gun?" i turned him on to the DAQ web site so he could get an idea of what i was talking about. After he excepted the fact that these "bb guns" could do what i was saying he was very interested but unsure of the legal status of said "bb guns" I would hate to see a friend get in legal trouble. The way i understand it in my state (Iowa) air guns are not considered "firearms" but he lives in Illinois. Does anyone know were to find the state by state legal stat of air guns and if felons can own them

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Butcher
(Login Butcherr)

in Illinois? I highly doubt it........

November 4 2011, 1:15 AM 

can't he get his felony expunged, having been ten years and all?

Got Rasp? Butcher's Game Calls: Home of the Excruciator...the Original Borosilicate Game Call
http://butchersgamecalls.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

Re: in Illinois? I highly doubt it........

November 4 2011, 1:50 AM 

not sure. I have heard that even with your record expunged, many hard *** anit gun states (like IL) will never restore gun right. Guess im not too sure on this legal stuff. Tried to google it but dont get very good info if any.

Respond to this message   

Bobby
(Login mgsbecket)

According to the US Constituition it says

November 4 2011, 10:31 AM 

The right to keep and bear arms (often referred as the right to bear arms or to have arms) is the assertion that people have a personal right to firearms for individual use, or a collective right to bear arms in a militia, or both.

I did not see anything about being a felon in there did you.
I will pull my magnifying glass out and read it again to see if I can find it but I bet I wont.
I guess it means to bear our arms as in limbs. lol
I do not get how these states in the United States think they can apply these laws and are illegal state law or federal.
We need to defend this and stop watching football and NASCAR before it is too late as you can see it already is.

This message has been edited by mgsbecket from IP address 99.171.239.110 on Nov 4, 2011 10:33 AM

Respond to this message   
cody9999
(Login cody9999)

In Illinois he will still need A Firearm Owner I.D. card for any

November 4 2011, 2:22 PM 

airgun faster than 700 fps. or larger than .177 cal.I have been told that depending on the severity of the felony, there are a series of hoops you can jump thru. Tell him to call and discuss with the state police.

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

thanks for the info. would he be ok in IOWA?

November 4 2011, 3:33 PM 

Thanks for the info guys. It seems that IL is going to h*ll in a handbag. I mean a FOID card for air guns. Come on. Im glad i moved out of that state. If my buddy were to come across the river and go tree rat hunting with me would he be ok to use my gamo shadow as long as all iowa DNR rules and regs were followed?

Respond to this message   
Duke
(Login mapleaf99)

Big Bore Felon

November 4 2011, 11:19 PM 

Many years ago I met a fellow big bore airgunner from Mass. who got into them because he was a convinced felon and could not own a firearm. For those of you who don't know ,Massachusetts has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. I am not a lawyer or reside in IL, but I would find it hard to belive that he would not be allowed to own an airgun.

Duke

Go BIG or go home!!!!!

This message has been edited by mapleaf99 from IP address 66.87.87.100 on Nov 4, 2011 11:25 PM

Respond to this message   

Butcher
(Login Butcherr)

when seeking legal advice.....

November 5 2011, 1:07 AM 

it is best that your buddy contact a lawyer and the state police unless he wants another felony. What if he gets another felony due to his online forum advice being incorrect?

Got Rasp? Butcher's Game Calls: Home of the Excruciator...the Original Borosilicate Game Call

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

Seems its a question of the defenition of the word "AND"

November 5 2011, 3:36 AM 

The word of the IL state law says: it is illegal for anyone without a FOID card to buy, own or have a air gun over .18 cal "AND" able to shoot over 700 fps. So I and many others take this to mean that a person in IL can own ANY air gun under .18 cal. No matter the fps. They may also own ANY air gun OVER .18 cal as long as said air gun is not able to shoot over 700 fps. That being said i think butch has a grate point. Without the confirmation of the state police i dont think i would want shoot a spit wad out of a straw.

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

would also like to thank Bobby

November 5 2011, 3:57 AM 

I feel it is a horable shame that our rights can be trampled and our constitution cased aside when a state feels the need to squeeze us a little harder.

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

Re: would also like to thank Bobby

November 5 2011, 5:10 AM 

That should be cast* aside. I ment to spell the word casted but that is not a word ether. Sorry my life should be set on spell checked happy.gif

Respond to this message   
cody9999
(Login cody9999)

I'm pretty sure it says "and ,or 700 fps".

November 5 2011, 5:43 PM 

If you are ever in a wal-mart in Illinois you will not see any .177 springers over 700fps.

This message has been edited by cody9999 from IP address 50.81.90.28 on Nov 5, 2011 5:45 PM

Respond to this message   
rj-porter
(Login rj-porter)

felons and guns or airguns

November 6 2011, 1:44 AM 

ok here we go just cause ur a felon doesnt mean u cant own a gun i know in my state felony that is non violent can still own guns im a felon and have done tons of research on what i can own i can own black powder guns any airguns and crossbows i want i have the felony that wont alow me to own guns basically any gun that is regulated by the federal government is not allowed for use by a violent offender there is also misdermener crimes that dont allow u to own firearms so ur friend with the research should be allowed to have AGs all he needs to do is check with the ATF to find out also state and federal laws r different just cause the feds say yes the state can still say no

Respond to this message   

Jeff
(Login iowahunter123)

some states are just rotten

November 6 2011, 5:50 PM 

Well did some double checking. On the IL STATE FOID CARD website it says "AND" not and/or. That being said my friend is making a call to the IL state police this week to find out for sure. I told him to see if he could get a copy of what the real deal was sent to him with the signater of a official at the state police HQ on it just to be safe.

Respond to this message   

Butcher
(Login Butcherr)

Good Plan.........

November 7 2011, 12:14 AM 

that's the way to go about it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum