Adventures in Airguns Store

May 2014 bring you many days of happy airgunning!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

257cal

June 9 2012 at 12:19 AM
airman21  (Login Airman_21)
from IP address 70.32.221.55

Will 250 ft.lbs kill deer at 75 & 100 yards!??

This message has been edited by Airman_21 from IP address 70.32.221.55 on Jun 9, 2012 12:20 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill Dempsey
(Login rzrbax)
Moderators

Ballistics and clean kills while hunting is more complex than.......

June 10 2012, 11:22 PM 

almost anything. There are so many variables like bullet mass, bullet meplat, bullet shape, bullet composition, bullet velocity, ballistic coefficient, barrel rifling spin rate, ........That's why the military can't decide on a caliber for its main battle rifle or handgun. Your question is too hard for me, but can you trust any answers that are offered?

Bill

Bill Dempsey
bdempsey@swat.coop

Respond to this message   

Randy Mitchell
(Premier Login rkmitchell)
Forum Owner

In my opinion, and it is just that....an opinion.....

June 13 2012, 9:36 AM 

.....you need a larger hole in a deer sized animal. Will it kill one? Sure.....but how far will you need to track it, and will there be a blood trail to track?

I'm not one of these who subscribes to the pop and flop TV scene shots that show an animal dropping in its tracks. It does happen, but more often than not you have to track the animal a short distance, even with a firearm shot.

I've had deer drop in their tracks from an airgun shot, mostly because I hit the spine. I've had deer run no more than 40 yards max since using airguns for deer hunting, but I'm careful to take shots that hit major organs every time, or I won't take the shot.

I use as large a chunk of lead as will shoot accurately in my airgun....and I've not had a single deer get away that I've shot with an airgun to date. I'm sure the day will come that I lose one to a badly placed shot, which will be my fault. But a larger hole will help me minimize the chance of losing my animal.

Randy

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com

Respond to this message   
tworr
(Login tworr)

Wrong tool for the job

June 13 2012, 1:33 PM 

I agree with what both Bill and Randy said above. With it making such a small hole, it's just the wrong tool for the job.

If you were using it for hunting coyotes or smaller game, then it would be fine.

At 250 foot pounds you are making less energy than a 22 magnum and a little more than a 22 long rifle. Also keep in mind that both of those bullets are traveling at super sonic speeds.

I have a 308 that is making 200-250fpe and I will not be hunting deer with it. Small hogs, coyotes, beavers and squirrels. We hate squirrels here.

Will 250 foot pounds kill a deer? Absolutely! The stock Sam Yang 909s does 237fpe, but it is making a 45 caliber hole.

The tuned 909 does more than 300 foot pounds of energy and there are a few here that have made kills past 75 yards with it.

If I was hunting with a stock 909 I would keep my shots within 50 yards and proper shot placement would be desired.

Respond to this message   
Quackenbush
(Login DAQ)

Why an airgun is effective on deer

June 18 2012, 2:02 PM 

On paper, the fpe of an airgun is not impressive compared to a firearm. What makes it work is that it's making a hole, sometimes bigger than what a firearm's bullet will expand to. So by going to a small caliber, you're getting rid of what makes an airgun effective on deer.
Because of this physical fact of airguns, Missouri deer hunting regulations require .40 cal. or greater bullet diameter.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum