Return to Index  

Maybe now I will get this project off the shelf ...a project begins

March 31 2012 at 9:34 PM
James  (Login jamesinadvance)
YF

Picked up a surplus air driven belt grinder. With the parts from this I should be on the short route
to that long belt grinder I've been planning on making.
This thing was huge and almost unused and to heavy to use without a tool balancer.

[linked image]

So the sum of all parts is equal to the whole so this should be a good start, I want to replace the air
motor with an electric motor and stretch out the rollers to use a longer belt, the drive roller is about
2 and 1/2" diameter which is threaded the same as my angle grinder. I will have to work around that or
replace it. The motor I have is 1 1/4 hp, 3400 rpm which would run about 2225 fpm maybe to slow but the
other goodies should be easily usable. The small tension roller could be handy for small radius grinds.
I suspect that I will need more feet per minute which will require a larger drive wheel. Any suggestions
on belt speed before I get to far into this, the main use will be grinding forged blades or blades form
flat stock.

[linked image]

Maybe I could still use this with a cup wheel or wire brush 7200 rpm direct drive.

[linked image]

I BRAKE FOR BISCUITS
and TRAINS

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..