Conserve water: Pee in the sink.June 21 2012 at 1:32 PM
|KW (Login Whiteleather)|
My kids and I recently watched "Firefly". In one scene the captain is in his cabin. We cut in as he zips his fly.
Pan out and we see him kick a fold out urinal back up...under the sink. He then washes his hands in the sink...thus flushing the urinal.
Think about that. A sink trap holds what...1.5 cups of liquid? I just happen to know that my bladder will hold just over 1 litre of fluid...don't ask...I just know.
Regardless of how much fluid I put in the sink, the trap only holds 1.5 cups. The rest goes down the drain.
Now...if I wash my hands I use about 3 cups of water. That means all the pee in the trap (IF I were to "hypothetically" pee in the sink) was washed out and the trap contains nothing but water.
So. 3 cups of water to flush pee down the sink versus 1.6gals of water to flush my low vol toilet.
At our camp, we have all agreed to only flush the toilet if it holds poo. That means a lot of pee sitting before we use about 5 gallons of water to flush it down to the leach field. Still not as efficient as peeing in the sink....hypothetically.
- makes sense - robny on Jun 21, 2012, 3:49 PM
- When I was a kid we had a cottage at the lake with a marginal septic system - Matt Donovan on Jun 21, 2012, 4:46 PM
- Buddy installed a tip out urinal in his garage - Miller on Jun 21, 2012, 6:16 PM
- what? no water conserving toilet? - Russell Best on Jun 21, 2012, 6:25 PM
- Re: Conserve water: Pee in the sink. - Rich on Jun 21, 2012, 7:04 PM
- Re: Conserve water: Pee in the sink. - JC on Jun 21, 2012, 7:32 PM
- I just Pee of my deck - Rob in Pgh on Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
- I"If it's yellow let it mellow..... - M'hackettIt on Jun 22, 2012, 8:13 AM
- Re: Conserve water: Pee in the sink. - boo on Jun 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
- Clarifications - KW on Jun 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
- why not use kitchen sink with garbage disposeall to crap in also - Ralph in La on Jun 23, 2012, 8:07 AM