Return to Index  

Serendipity At Sea

June 25 2012 at 11:56 PM
  (Login RetTech)
YC

41 years ago I was an avionics technician (AQB2) assigned to a Navy attack squadron (VA-34) and maintained the APQ-92 search/ terrain clearance radar suite of the Grumman A-6 Intruders we deployed with on the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy (CVA-67). One day one of the guided missile frigates accompanying us required some fuel and came along side to refuel. I had a camera handy and took a few slides of the unusual event. The top photos shows the U.S.S. Leahy (DLG-16) maneuvering to refuel.
Last week a member of a firearm forum recognized my avatar of an Intruder and saw that I had deployed on the Kennedy during the same cruise that he had served aboard the Leahy. He asked if I remembered the refueling and I sent him a couple of photos. He scanned a picture from his cruise book of the same event but taken of course from the frigate. I'll bet I could find myself in his photo if the resolution was better.
Anyway , I thought it was unusual that another sailor happened to notice the details of my forum bio and that I had photographed the same event that he remembered.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Photo taken from the DLG Leahy:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by RetTech on Jun 26, 2012 12:25 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..