Return to Index  

Happy Birthday Julia Child: 100 years

August 15 2012 at 9:38 AM
KW  (Login Whiteleather)
YFOT

I know she is dead, but she DID live to be 91. Her husband lived to be 92. They drank, smoked, and likely ate more sodium and butter than anyone outside of native Frenchmen.

I was always a fan of Julia and watched her shows in real time and in re-broadcasts. I was given her book (Mastering the Art of French Cooking) as a gift and was so impressed I wanted to read more.

Her (auto)biography "My Life in France" is well-written and very entertaining. Two things are clear: she and her husband were dearly in love, and she was a driven worker who would have succeeded in ANY thing she took on. She didn't just write down recipes, she tried variations of each to adapt it to the American kitchen. Some recipes failed 20 times before she found the right way to make them with supplies at your local Kroger's.

If you watched "Julie and Julia", the parts on "Julia" were taken right from her biography. If you agree that those are the only parts worth watching in the film, and you owe it to your self to read "My Life in France".

BTW, any of the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking can be used on your wild game. Substituting squirrel for chicken in Coq au Vin is a real winner! The amount of butter and wine in the Boef Bourguignon protects even the most lean venison.

This message has been edited by Whiteleather on Aug 15, 2012 9:39 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..