Return to Index  

Still don't believe it's points. I didn't want to sound like I was saying you are wrong.

April 16 2017 at 2:45 PM

John in FL.  (Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

Response to Yes. 4 Stroke Dolmar has ignition points.

Specifically, it has nothing to do with what you know or don't know about engines, but because breaker points vanished in the 80s and there is zero reason for them to return.

It truly was an inferior ignition system, with both contact points prone to the standard effects corrosion from humidity PLUS pitting from arching, and a electrolytic capacitor also prone to failure.
They also experience something called "rolloff" starting around 5000 RPM, I'm guessing the blower runs 6-7000 RPM which is the upper ragged limit of points, partially due to the inability of that little arm to cycle at high speed, and the inability to completely break.
This would be similar to "float" in valve train on pushrod motors.

Hall effect and inductive systems are VASTLY superior, like shooting a bullet vs throwing it!

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-engines/understanding-breaker-point-ignition-systems
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

You see how often that little switch cycles? Destined for failure!

I do still have one set of points, on a 1959 outboard LOL.
Actually, I have TWO sets of points, the second being a spare because I 100% expect the first set to fail at the worst possible time. hey at least they're easy to fix!

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Apr 16, 2017 9:17 PM

Respond to this message   

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..