YF12

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ed Krzynowek
(Login ekmeister)
YFOT

Needed to Know, but Dang

March 29 2012, 9:18 AM 

I wondered if that's who you were going to tell us about when I opened the link. I still think of The Beverly Hillbillies most of all, and that was MANY decades ago. I sure bet Steve Martin is glad he got a chance to play some music with him.

Thanks for the music, Earl.

Happy Shooting!

Ed, The Airgun Tune-Meister

"We can rebuild the squirrel. Make him stronger, faster...We have the technology"---Skyler M.

Respond to this message   

Doug S
(Login dsmalln)
YFOT

Banjo King!

March 29 2012, 9:27 AM 

He brought the Banjo to mainstream Country and Bluegrass and many stress out trying to replicate his style!

Here's a good read of his life achievments.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/28/1966179/banjo-great-earl-scruggs-dies.html

Doug S.

Respond to this message   

(Login paulaus511)
YFOT

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs

March 29 2012, 10:12 AM 

Lester can now play with Earl again RIP !!

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

Respond to this message   

(Login tracer69)

Earl was to the 5-String what Eddie Peabody was to the Tenor Banjo.

March 29 2012, 11:25 AM 

Both the greatest in their idioms!

Halvorsen

Respond to this message   
spider
(Login tracer69)

jawaharlal

March 29 2012, 11:25 AM 

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

The father of the "three finger" style

March 29 2012, 12:09 PM 

Banjo goes back quite a ways but Scruggs sort of brought it to the forefront. Yes, he can finally now play with Lester. I had the opportunity to share a few beers with Mr. Flatt after a show at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, whereupon I asked him if he was ever going to tour with Earl Scruggs again? He said, sadly, no. Mrs. Scruggs had demanded a price of about ten grand per show. Lots of Bluegrass is played in small venues like the Birchmere. I'm guessing there were maybe twenty small tables in the whole place. BTW, if you thought Scruggs was good on that banjo, you should have heard Flatts pick that madolin. He could even play it Les Paul style. Plus he was funny as h3ll.

Respond to this message   

Doug S
(Login dsmalln)
YFOT

Bill Monroe....

March 29 2012, 4:25 PM 

Flatt and Scruggs broke off with Monroe and he never forgave them. It's said he kept them out of the Grand Ol' Oprey for quite awhile because of it!

Doug S.

Respond to this message   

(Login tracer69)

Yeah...the 3-fnger style was a continuous roll.....

March 29 2012, 4:39 PM 

.....using a thumb pick and 2 slip-on finger picks.

Hal

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YFOT

Or just don't bite your nails

March 29 2012, 8:14 PM 

on your right hand. That's what I was told.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - RIP Earl
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..