<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

got a new Rem . 870 , 20 gauge

May 15 2012 at 8:11 PM
eric  (Login talon24)
YF

First shot gun ....in preparation for the season later on I will be trying out various ammo . started buying 2-3/4 , 1OZ # 6 (Remington) but looking for recommendations for fall squirrel and perhaps crow hunting , typically 20-40 yards. Seem to be difficult to find larger birdshot than # 6 ?? Was hoping for light recoil for jr to try as well .

This 870 comes with a modified choke (which i will stick with for the time being) and yes I was planing on eating the tree rats. Any recommendations on on-line vendor, brand and actual shot size/load , thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

fred
(Login fartntouchit)
AR&P

#6 is good for tree rats and large birds. I use

May 15 2012, 8:54 PM 

a 22lr for tree rats. more challenging and better range. head shots save your teeth!

Respond to this message   

jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
YFOT

if your going to eat a rat wouldn't it be better to trap it?

May 15 2012, 10:21 PM 

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

yes but DNR rules are

May 16 2012, 10:13 AM 

shot gun only , no air or 22 rimfire allowed and no trapping ....

Respond to this message   
WoodyJ
(Login woodyj)
YFOT

It's been 45 years since I hunted tree rats with a shotgun ...

May 16 2012, 3:41 AM 

but from what I remember (with a 12 guage).  #6 shot with regular power shells (say 1100 fps) had to pick through lots of shot when eating.  #4 shot high power shells (say 1280 fps) went all the way through and no crunchy shot to eat around.

Respond to this message   

Dwight Callis
(Login aimlessness)
YF

Eric, Shame on you , ( shotgun on squirrels )...nt

May 16 2012, 6:56 AM 

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login tallguy606)
YFOT

shotgun or rifle

May 16 2012, 8:56 AM 

Where i grew up in Kansas, we had big fox squirrels, they would stay still long enough for a shot with a rifle. But in the South, they have greys, and they are constantly moving, almost necessary to use a shotgun.

Respond to this message   
eric
(Login talon24)
YF

i know ....

May 16 2012, 10:14 AM 

i would prefer air but not allowed , dont want to end up in the slammer

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..