<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

if you had to quit something what would it be? went to the dr today

June 23 2012 at 5:54 PM

robny  (Login robnewyork)
YF

I quit fast food, pizza and all that stuff to get my cholesterol down( will post new numbers monday whwn bloodwork results come in).i smoke its terrible and wanna quit..and now she told me i should quit the one other vice we all have! Can i enjoy anything? I work so much im down to a few things i enjoy..what have u guys given up?

[linked image]
"i never was much for book learnin"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
YFOT

ya ,what's that?Life can be just as good without vices

June 23 2012, 6:50 PM 

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

im sure it can.

June 23 2012, 8:01 PM 

Need to make that transition.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Miller
(Login Milbo)
YFOT

Rob, it's hard to quit addictions while you feel OK

June 23 2012, 7:00 PM 

It's much easier to quit when you feel like crap every minute. If you can't sleep because there's a noise coming from your throat that sounds like a cat purring, or your heart starts racing and skipping beats...then it's a little easier.

Good luck. I quit a few years ago and it gets better, but it's still an addiction and it'll bite you in the azz if you think you can have just one.

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

well

June 23 2012, 8:00 PM 

Im 100 percent healthy..as of now..the issue is at 31 i dont wanna give up things i enjoy..thought that was more likely at 40.. its all psychological ..i need to devalue these things mentaly.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Griff1950
(Login Griff1950)
YF

Rob,

June 23 2012, 8:21 PM 

I've got a bad heart and have had to give up everything, yep, even sex. My only remaining vice is airguns, and the doc told me not to shoot because he was afraid it would screw up my pacemaker. I told him forget it. If it kills me, I'm just dead. I still enjoy life, though. Made $150 on a trade this afternoon, and adding it to my airgun budget is gonns let me buy any springer I want, just gotta make up my mind.

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

thanks man..inspiration! . nt

June 24 2012, 1:26 AM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
James S
(Login jamesinadvance)
YF

Trying to not gain any more here

June 23 2012, 9:28 PM 

Like you I'm at the point of what else has to go. One of the hardest to give up was Krispy Kreme doughnuts the companies flagship store is near where I live complete with the "Show" as it is known here, that is the doughnuts go through the automatic conveyors, the hot oil and the glaze just a couple of feet in front of you, and with only a plate glass wall between. I just have to stay away, My suggestion if you ever get the chance to go "DON'T its to hard to eat just one, when they are fresh out of the deep fryer and the glaze.
I allow myself one occasionally, this week I ate one still warm from the shop the first in about three months, I had to leave about nine or so sitting, I'm actually getting better at this.

I lost about 130 lbs in 1987, that was kinda tough and emotional for me, thats what my first wife weighed when she left me. ha Now I'm facing 57 and I need to find a way to get rid of about 20 lb. of myself, without all the drama.

James S

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login Duane30)
YF

We call those lovely treats "power rings"! N.T.

June 23 2012, 9:56 PM 

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

Respond to this message   

Bill S.
(Login tripleguy)
YFOT

What's the one other vice we all have?

June 23 2012, 9:54 PM 

If you mean smoking, I still say, try a good cigar and limit yourself to weekends. That way, you really look forward to it.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

bill.i mean

June 24 2012, 1:29 AM 

Drinkin!but yes..the smokin has to go..and cigars are on the menu

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login Duane30)
YF

It's been over a week now....

June 23 2012, 9:55 PM 

Since I have seen my family. This is a very difficult thing to do. Simply speaking to them on the phone doesn't cut it. Perhaps it is the fact that this is just the first week - have MONTHS to go before I can see them again sad.gif

I will say, I am having a blast out here.

PT on Friday was not fun in 95 degree heat along with 80% humidity. Ouch. Got my craker a$$ burnt by the blazing sun.

Not that I needed to lose weight, but lost five pounds already! Went from 197 down to 192. Can't tell if any muscle mass has been gained, but hurt like hell. I'm old, ya' know. With that, I can smoke ALL the dudes and dudets with the running craziness we are doing - and I smoke cigarettes! Can actually out run our PT instructor. He puts me in the front to torture the other recruits! Feel sorry for them, I do.

But, a huge but, the obstacle course is brutal. By the end, my body is smoked. A great combo of cardio and muscle strength.

So, to the point, I would quit smoking if absolutely had to.

This is funny. When we were on break, the PT instructor passed by me outside and saw me smoking. He was beside himself to learn that I smoke and can run so much. Told him to bring it, and to pack a lunch!

"The majority of things in our lives are created by folks no smarter than the rest. Afterall, the world is comprised, and operated by C average people intellctually, academically, and morally. These people are often the great pioneers that set the precedent for what excellence should be."

Respond to this message   

jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
YFOT

31 is too young to give up piazza,smoking is stupid

June 23 2012, 11:37 PM 

as is drinking too much,what is wrong with things you like done in moderation?I s not like sex here your all in or not.

31 is young,but if you keep screwing up for the next ten years you might not see 61...yep that's what happened to most of my friends,but we were of the 70s and anything went,I was lucky because I believed in moderation and just plain no to many bad things.....I thought if I had problem it would be with my heart so I started to eat right ,that also gave me more energy,still I was in good shape,still got cancer though,cancer doesn't care,but the things that help your heart are also the things that help prevent cancer and diabetes..so my advice is to do things in moderation except sex,sex makes your hard,.oops mean heart stronger ,remember  don't take more than you give.LOL.

This message has been edited by boscoebrea on Jun 23, 2012 11:39 PM

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

thanks jesse.

June 24 2012, 1:33 AM 

Moderation is my main issue id say..and i know you have been through it all.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login 22Talon)
YFOT

eh we all Die

June 24 2012, 3:27 AM 

Well I look at it this way:everybody dies,even if you eat 100 percent healthy all the time, you will still be dead someday.so screw it,enjoy life if you are not hurting anybody.

I'm 24.I eat somewhat healthy,I avoid fast food,[McDonald's etc]eat brown rice,some veggies,go for organic or free range when I can and avoid can foods,frozen and stuff,I don't usually eat candy a lot etc.But I do drink a liter of pop,[mm mountain dew is delicious]and a liter or two of hard liquor,vodka,tequila etc a week.So what if if I die a couple years sooner than someone who lives the perfect healthy diet? I would rather die a few years sooner dong what I like,then skip all the enjoyment and just gain a few more unfun years.

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

thats hilarious

June 24 2012, 1:31 AM 

Sorry u dont get to see family that sux..i can outrun most also bei g a smoker..i did 7:09 mile recently..smoking 17 yrs.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Travis
(Login 22Talon)
YFOT

damn,,,thats good,

June 24 2012, 3:33 AM 

Right now I run a 1005 for 1.5 miles[I'm 24].My quickest was 8.45 for 1.5 miles in loose fitting jeans,My recruiters said I was the first person they saw run in jeans.but that was when I had just a part time job and weighed 135ish lbs,ran every day at least 4 miles and was a young man of 20 lol.Once I joined the Air Force [basic especially]I got fat and my run time went up[surgeries didnt help]

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

my best times were in the army

June 24 2012, 8:44 AM 

Back in 99..pt was crazy bc there was no war, nothing else to do.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Victor3
(Login Victor3)
YFOT

I cut down. Isn't that enough?

June 24 2012, 4:03 AM 

Six years ago I quit smoking 1-2 packs of Camels a day (for ~25 years). Been smoking the equivalent of ~2 packs a month since then. Roll-your-own tobacco is such a hassle that I don't have the patience to smoke more. If I run out, I'll sometimes go without for days or weeks until I get around to buying more. The urgency is gone; only smoke with my evening beer if I have one.

Reduction in smoking has gone along with a ~75% reduction in drinking. Rarely drink hard stuff unless someone gives me some as a gift. Sure don't miss waking up with a headache.

Since I was a kid I drank ~1/2 gal of whole milk daily. Cut that down to ~1 pint of 1% now.

Up until a few years ago I drank at least 3 cans of soda (not diet stuff) daily. Now only have it when I go to a fast food joint twice a month or so.

I've cut my overall food intake by ~30% over the past couple of years, and meat by ~50%. Seeing prices rise between the time I put it in the cart/get to the register has had something to do with that.

I've found that self-imposed absolute prohibition doesn't work for me. However, I have been able to completely give up eggplant, tofu and Zima...

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

thats really good.

June 24 2012, 8:49 AM 

Again everything in moderation.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..