<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"I'm BAAACK!"

April 2 2017 at 3:41 PM
Ron Robinson  (Login compressive)
YC

"I'm back in the saddle again!"

i've always liked Steven Tyler and his music, but yesterday gained a higher appreciation hearng that rock classic on my way home from the Bench-Rest Silhouette match at Central Texas Rifle and Pistol Club.

I wondered how my seventies-vintage Voere .22 sporter would fare against the European target rifles used by most of the BRS competitors; especially given the new, LONGER ranges the Match Director adopted because perfect scores were becoming eminent at the original distances.

As if tricky winds didn't present enough challenge already, for additional perspective on the challenge (to anyone familiar with 1/10 scale airgun silhouettes), the PENNY-sized chickens went from 50 yards to 60, pigs from 67 to 75, turkeys from 82 to 90, and the rams remained at 100 yards. As the match wore on it became apparent the 90 yard turkeys were the most difficult to hit in the gusty winds. Having noticed no-one had dropped more than 5 of 10 turkeys, they being my last animals, I realized the match would be decided by turkey counts.

I missed my first three (by RCH's), but made the minuscule adjustment needed to clean the remaining seven and prevail for Match Winner with a 34/40 (of eight shooters).

I'd also taken a .22 Career air rifle (that I've been tuning for a buddy) to contest the airgun division. However since no other airgunners showed and it would have required a second relay for me to also shoot the airgun, I acquiesced in order to not impose a second relay on the match. So it remains a mystery how airguns might fare against the longer-distanced silhouettes.

During the match I asked the MD if he might at some point consider breaking the rimfire division into two classes, Sporter Rifle and Target Rifle. He replied in the negative. Now that sporter guns not only won but also took second place yesterday guarantees there will be no class segregation in the rimfire division!

That I recognized and rescued an (otherwise) unknown, overlooked and unappreciated vintage .22 from a used gun rack that can shoot with (and outshoot) fine target rifles in real-world competition is very gratifying. The vintage Voere has earned a well-deserved stock refinish to expose nice figuring lying hidden beneath decades of oil. Rather, I should say that as of yesterday that project moves from back burner to front! Another "labor of love" project; this time for myself.

My fall from "grace" in local airgun circles makes every (subsequent) success in various firearms competitions all the sweeter. Kicking technoid a** with inexpensive, practical and otherwise IMPROBABLE equipment is almost as gratifying in firearms competitions as it's been in airgun competitions. Emphasizing skill over "performance at any PRICE" is how I get my jollies.

[linked image]

"I'm BAAACK! I'm back in the saddle again!"

This message has been edited by compressive on Apr 2, 2017 8:02 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
OldnUgly
(Login Oldnugly)
YC

Congrats on your win. Very nice rifle,

April 2 2017, 8:27 PM 

Old school craftsmanship is hard to bat.

Respond to this message   

TStray
(Login TStray)
YC

Way to go Ron

April 2 2017, 9:45 PM 

Beating out those high end target rifles with a vintage piece just has to make you feel good.

Congrats !
"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login bladesx)
AR&P

Re: "I'm BAAACK!"

April 3 2017, 10:56 AM 

Those Voere were no slouch units just very hard to come by state side- and that of course also makes for replacement parts problems. Suhls are another. Overseas they are tools not mass market make a fast buck stuff we have here for the most part. We do have a few small makers- all most custom with pricing to match state side like Cooper ( current) is the only one that comes to mind at present.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Relating to replacement parts

April 3 2017, 4:07 PM 

Once I decided to make a move on the Voere and approached the gun store owner, he pointed out that he didn't have a magazine for the rifle! I found 3 excellent condition mags on Gunbroker, in Budapest, Hungary for $80 each plus shipping); an absolute deal killer. Thinking "You never know what you might find on Ebay", I found ONE, brand-new, in the U.S., for $38 plus $4 shipping.

Mighty glad I went to the trouble to consummate the deal on this nice classic. Did you notice it has a double-set trigger?

Respond to this message   
Chris
(Login bladesx)
AR&P

Re: Relating to replacement parts

April 4 2017, 9:59 AM 

Yes I did , I like double sets have 2 54 annies and a 45-70 Sharps repro with them.

Respond to this message   
BillE.
(Login garczar)
YF12

Nice shootin!! nt

April 4 2017, 1:15 PM 

"\"\""

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..