<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

High IQ Omega Society 210+ Stanford Benet

April 6 2017 at 5:11 PM
James Dingle   (Login JamesDingle777)

Anyone know anyone that qualifies? I was looking things up because I want to be tested. I had been at 10 and my score was 127 which puts me in the lowest high IQ group which has a minimum of 124 and they are a step below MENSA. That means I'm nothing special, 1 in 20 score as well or higher. These other groups, above MENSA, now that's impressive. 210 is unfathomable to me, Einstein was what, 176? I'm recalling here, not looking it up so I very well could be wrong. Omega is the creme de la creme. How many people are in this? 1 out of every 33,000 some thousand. On my phone so I can't copy and paste link. Just interesting. I find certain musicians to be total Genius in many ways. Arlo Guthrie comes to mind. Many others. I believe we have a few here that would qualify quite high, but I doubt they'd devulge any standing they hold title

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Phil
(Login Duane35)
AR&P

I hear ya'!

April 6 2017, 6:48 PM 

Rather impressive. MENSA member myself. With a test administrator proclaimed 158. I give very little credence to IQ test. Often, there are some very dumb decisions made on my part.

Really means nothing to me. Nor does it have an impact. It's obnoxious when folks openly, and freely bring up their MENSA or Omega status. Though, never heard anyone proclaim Omega. Seems kinda' bogus.

This message has been edited by Duane35 on Apr 6, 2017 6:57 PM

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

I'm pretty sure the test tops out at 200. (n/t)

April 6 2017, 7:16 PM 

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

9 High IQ Societies. Link enclosed

April 6 2017, 8:00 PM 

All the statistics. Triple Nine & Prometheus are fairly well known. Omega is top of the 9's list.

https://bkivey.wordpress.com/2010/05/04/nine-high-iq-societies/

This message has been edited by JamesDingle777 on Apr 7, 2017 9:29 AM

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

Well, they list requirements as 210+ and only those in the 99.9999th percentile qualify

April 7 2017, 9:55 AM 

I recommend reading just for kicks considering that they somehow figure some of Histories finest would have qualified; without ever taking the test, OK. Marilyn Vos Savant does definitely qualify as she holds the highest recorded ever IQ of 228 and Leonardo DaVinci 220, they say, would have met their standards. I can see that as he was thinking way beyond what others could even comprehend at that time.
Amazingly Mr. Stephen Hawking, Einstein, is in the group below Omega. I'd think he & Neil deGrasse Tyson would be at the top.
This is all speculation and non exact science. Someone here commented rightfully so about meeting the people that create these tests. It's been said that Genius & Insanity walk hand in hand. I fully believe this in some ways. If defined by current psychological profiles most Geniuses would also be Sociopaths not conforming to a Societies restraining laws, customs, etc. Who was it that dug up and stole corpses for their advancement in medical knowledge and anatomy? Again, I'm recalling this, not looking up but I believe it was DaVinci.
Anyway, I copied & pasted. I'm a failure at Math & Computers. Kind of ruled out my dream of being a Chemist. No matter. Never had the money for school and my plan was (a bad one at 15) to be a Chemist, follow The Grateful Dead and become rich enough to invest and live off of interest for the rest of my life, leave my Children to want for nothing.

Many of these societies will accept alternative intelligence tests such as SAT, LSAT, and GRE, or a qualifying score on their own tests.

The society descriptions are taken from the respective websites, and I have included a sample of famous people that would qualify for each society based on this site.

The societies are listed in reverse order of exclusivity and all links are set to open in a new window.

International High IQ Society

IQ 124+ (1 in 20)

One-time fee of $79 USD

All members receive a lifetime membership in the Society, representation in our think tank (the Hamilton Institute), access to our virtual Member Lounge, and a personal Web page.

The Member Lounge is our online community where members can enjoy stimulating discussions on a variety of intellectual and political topics far away from the stifling protocols of academia and the crude behavior found on so many Internet discussion groups.

The Member Lounge also has weekly online trivia contests in our trivia chat room, organized tournaments in chess, backgammon, and poker, debate competitions, fantasy sports, a stock market challenge, weekly polls and surveys, and a large collection of puzzles and brainteasers.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Ulysses S. Grant (130)

Mensa

IQ 132+ (1 in 50)

No fee to join.

Mensa, the high IQ society, provides a forum for intellectual exchange among its members. There are members in more than 100 countries around the world.

Activities include the exchange of ideas through lectures, discussions, journals, special-interest groups, and local, regional, national and international gatherings; the investigations of members’ opinions and attitudes; and assistance to researchers, inside and outside Mensa, in projects dealing with intelligence or Mensa.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Nicole Kidman (132), Arnold Schwarzenegger (135)

Top One Percent Society (TOPS)

IQ 137+ (1 in 100)

No fee to join.

TOPS is a high IQ society, at the 99th percentile of intelligence, dedicated to the intellectual stimulation and growth of its members. To this effect a journal (Termite) to which any member can submit letters, essays, poems or art, has been set in place.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Thomas Jefferson (138)

Colloquy

IQ 140+ (1 in 200)

No fee to join.

Colloquy is, to the best of our knowledge, the first high-IQ society based entirely on the Internet. It is created as a forum for the collegial sharing of thoughts, experiences, and creative expression among people of superior intelligence. Defining our terms, what could be considered as superior intelligence? Statistically, perhaps arbitrarily, the highest half-percent of the general populace are placed into this category, at 2.58 standard deviations above the mean. Assuming a 15.5 s.d., this level is 140 IQ… not that undue emphasis should be placed upon such tests. Intelligence is a curious quality, easily recognized while somewhat elusive when precise definitions are sought. Consider the contemporary theories of Gardner and Sternberg, which recognize multiple aspects of intelligence.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Hillary Clinton (140), Richard Nixon (143)

The Cerebrals Society

IQ 144+ (1 in 333)

No fee to join.

Cerebrals Society is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the search of high intellectual giftedness among individuals, bringing highly gifted individuals together, and making full use of high intellectual giftedness for the good of human society in general, where possible. Cerebrals society will strive to reach understanding and promote thoughtfulness within as without, to spread what it gathers and reach always one step further into uncertainties of humanity. In this, we may fail from time to time, but final successes are always traced by the failures that preceeded. Cerebrals was founded in December 1999 by Xavier Jouve. Over time the society has evolved into a growing organization which keeps providing its members with intellectual peerage and a chance to meet across distances thus reducing the sense of isolation (not at all physical) often present in varying degrees in persons with an high-IQ. Cerebrals Society is featured on the Beautiful Mind web site in the Genius Resources section.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Napoleon Bonaparte (145)

The Triple Nine Society

IQ 146+ (1 in 1000)

Membership fees: $10 USD or $30 USD annually depending on whether you want a virtual or hard copy of the group’s magazine.

The Triple Nine Society is committed to friendship, communication, the adventure of intellectual exploration, and a greater realization of individual potentials. It neither sanctions the imposition of one person’s philosophy on another nor subscribes to any particular philosophy for its members. It will strive to avoid the insularity of mere exclusiveness. The guiding principle of the Society is democratic and collegial rather than hierarchical. The Society will remain open to innovation and evolution.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Jayne Mansfield (149), Jean-Jacques Rousseau (150), Miguel de Cervantes (155)

Vertex Society

IQ 156+ (1 in 11,000)

No fee to join.

Vertex Society is one of the very few HIQ societies whose members are selected by means of professional, standardized, supervised intelligence tests only, which makes the society entrance claim undoubted as per standards of the scientific community.

Vertex Society also fills an enormous gap. Up until the foundation of Vertex, there have been no HIQ societies that put their entry requirement between 3 and 4 standard deviations.

Societies, many of which ambiguous with regard to the validity of their admission tools, often clutter at the same cut-off points, providing no gradation, yet bringing confusion.

As Vertex Society is aimed at the opposite, it was deemed useless unless being strongly based on the use of professional tests only and providing finer gradation to the properly qualified members of the HIQ community. It is on these two principles that Vertex Society has been founded on and to which it is pledged to adhere.

Famous personalities that would qualify: No data, possibly because of the unusual range for admission. See the second paragraph in the society description.

The Prometheus Society

IQ 160+ (1 in 30,000)

Membership fees: $10 USD or $25 USD annually depending on whether you want a virtual or hard copy of the group’s magazine.

The Prometheus Society was established in 1982 by philosopher Ronald K. Hoeflin, Ph.D. to promote fellowship among individuals with extremely high intelligence. Membership in the society is open to anyone who has received a score on an accepted IQ test that is equal to or greater than that received by the highest one thirty-thousandth of the general population. The Prometheus Society is a world-wide nonprofit organization with fewer than one hundred members. Currently there are participants from 18 countries.

The association with the mythological hero who stole fire and gave it to man as a gift is natural. The fire has from antiquity been symbolically associated with mental gifts which distinguish man from other beasts, all of his other capabilities being inferior to those of one or another animal. Explicitly acknowledged goals of the organization have always been to provide a forum for compatible discussions of topics and concerns unique to individuals with extremely high intelligence.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Bill Gates (160), Reggie Jackson (160), Stephen Hawking (160), Albert Einstein (160), Plato (170), Galileo (185), Isaac Newton (190), John Stuart Mill (200).

Omega Society

IQ 210+ (1 in 1,000,000)

No fee to join.

The Omega Society is an IQ society at the 99.9999th percentile (one-in-a-million level on a test of general intelligence) and exists for the recognition and encouragement of individuals of extremely high intelligence. It was founded by Ronald K. Hoeflin, Ph.D.

Famous personalities that would qualify: Leonardo Da Vinci (220), Marilyn Vos Savant (228

Respond to this message   
Gruntled
(Login eureeka)
AR&P

You think that's amazing?

April 6 2017, 7:59 PM 

Imagine what it would be like to sit down with the folks who come up with the questions for those tests.

Hey guys, look at this one.

C'mon, A mensa would laugh at that one. Send it to Readers Digest. They'll buy anything.

Respond to this message   
Matt Donovan
(Login Matt_Donovan)
AR&P

I've been told that I should join the Densa Society

April 6 2017, 9:03 PM 

Should I be Proud?

Respond to this message   
Miller
(Login Milbo)
AR&P

My IQ has made it difficult to find friends...

April 6 2017, 9:59 PM 

I like to feel smarter than others... so I try to find friends with lower IQ's than mine. It's difficult...

This message has been edited by Milbo on Apr 6, 2017 9:59 PM

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

Ah, jokes. All in good jest. I admit I'm a fool and know nothing

April 7 2017, 9:00 AM 

About the great mysteries of life. With age comes wisdom. Some are incredibly bright and wise while young. Old Dutch saying, "Too soon old, too late schmart" it's true. I look for wiser people to befriend.I want to learn before my mistakes at this age.

This message has been edited by JamesDingle777 on Apr 7, 2017 9:56 AM

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

Miller, put a sign in your yard "FREE BEER EVERYONE'S INVITED"

April 7 2017, 2:50 PM 

You'll be swamped in no time.

I'm with Phil on this one (not to drag him down with me) but being smart doesn't mean you're necessarily any smarter!
Being able to put a puzzle together or remember trivia, or long multiplication in your head, does NOT translate to success or prosperity! (ask me how I know)

I'm not sure IQ testing is particularly valid either.
When I went into fostercare in 6th Grade, my case worker took me to get tested.

I scored 139, and was mad to have been 1 point under genius!
Problem was that the test had all sorts of math I'd never even seen before.
IF I'd been exposed to 8th or 9th grade math, then the score would have been at least 150, I skipped tons of stuff because I had no clue!

Because the math section threw the score off I strongly doubt the IQ system.
Throw on a margin of error, maybe +/- 30% because that's where I think it really is.

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Apr 7, 2017 3:57 PM

Respond to this message   
Jim in Pa.
(Login millerman54)
YC

I'll be there

April 7 2017, 3:20 PM 

Red solo cup....

Respond to this message   
Miller
(Login Milbo)
AR&P

Smart folks come in both varieties just like us dumb ones...

April 7 2017, 9:34 PM 

Yeah, I certainly was joking. I've got no IQ criteria for making friends.

I've known some pretty smart hombres that were a total revelation and a hoot to hang out with.

I've known some pretty smart hombres that I couldn't figure out how to shut them up about themselves long enough to find out who they were.

Just like dumb folks I guess!

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

I scored 160 on the SB a very long time ago...

April 8 2017, 12:19 AM 

...and in subsequent years found that score and enough pocket change would get me a bus ride.

SB - and other IQ tests - are great predictors of how well you'll do in school. And not much else. Oh, and they're great predictors of whether you're White middle-class (like me) because the test is culture-bound. My favorite example - from the WAIS, another IQ test, many years later when I was getting training in how to administer them.

"Why do we need policemen?"

I was asking a Black kid in an urban ghetto and had to ask very loudly to be heard over the jet flying over the school (which was in the airport flight line).

The answer you get of a Black kid who's dad was arrested the night before on suspicion of being Black taking a walk in a White neighborhood won't get quite so many points as the answer you get from a White middle class kid who's experience has been that The Policeman Is Your Friend.

(When IQ tests were first introduced, they were used as evidence of the idiocity of Italian immigrants. Who scored very poorly. No matter that the tests were administered in English to immigrants who understood only Italian. Well, that was a indication of idiocity - but not necessarily that of the Italian immigrants.)

Respond to this message   

Steve in NC
(Login pneuguy)
AR&P

Speaking of a long time ago, a weird thing about human intelligence...

April 8 2017, 1:30 AM 

...as it's reflected in the archaeological record (e.g., evidence of art, technology and ritual) implies language and intelligence appeared long (i.e., by more than 100,000 years) after the fossil record shows anatomically modern human brains evolved.

I'm not sure what this means, but it seems to imply that intelligence as measured by ability to do linear thinking involves more than what's carried in our genome -- as if it's learned early in life.

Those "twins" experiments notwithstanding.
Steve

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

Sophie said it better, except for most of it.

April 8 2017, 7:58 AM 

How well you do in school is multifactoral.

Lack of talk of college and careers, or emotional problems can severely limit development of personality needed to apply intelligence in steering the future.
When I grew up "College" was a place in the movies that rich kids went to chase girls and drink beer. Nothing more.

White middle class? Is that supposed to mean going to a certain quality of school?

Perhaps you're familiar with the term "Socially Graduated"?
Happened a lot at the HS in my county, yes there was only one HS.
Population was predominantly white (German, Swede,Fin, Polack) but turned out seniors who read like 4-6th graders!

My maths example might have sounded like I was just sore, but points to the strong influence the education system or culture has on scores.

Sophie is spot on regarding bus fare....

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Apr 8, 2017 8:46 AM

Respond to this message   

Bill S
(Login tripleguy)
YC

Maybe we could get a test administered here

April 8 2017, 11:00 PM 

Only instead of an IQ test, we could all take an a$$hole test. Lots of really high scores I bet, myself included.
"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

LOL..

April 9 2017, 11:28 AM 

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

What would I win? nt.

April 9 2017, 11:45 AM 

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

hold on John,you win the Boob- y prize....lol..

April 9 2017, 12:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
James S
(Login jamesinadvance)
YF

I took a sample test

April 13 2017, 9:58 PM 

and it was suggested I take the real test for Mensa but I didn't.
I scored very well in the IQ test in high school (top two percent).
With that being said I failed to use much of that intelligence, LOL. Worked twenty years as an underground coal miner , I actually
liked that.
The last twenty odd years I've spent as an industrial mechanic, kinda like that to.

My youngest sons high school IQ test was one point higher than mine and he now has a Masters in computer science and brings down a tidy
salary using all that smarts.
So it goes to show you its not how smart you are its how well you use those smarts.
JamesinAdvance

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..