<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I want to get my mom a 'life-alert' system, I fell down and can't get up

April 7 2017 at 11:48 AM

Jesse  (Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

system,do any of you have experience with one and what advice can you give me,Thank you.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bill S
(Login tripleguy)
YC

My mom had one Jess

April 7 2017, 12:14 PM 

At first I thought what a waste - just use a cell phone. But unless you always have it in your hand its not the same. She used hers a couple times, once outside in the yard. Its piece of mind I guess. I dont recall the brand, maybe life alert. They're all pretty much the same. She had a pendant she wore all the time. I think you can shower with them on.
"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

You're an asset Bill, I always read your posts. I try to read all replies on

April 8 2017, 10:34 AM 

Subjects that intetest me. On a slow day, I may read everything. By you, and many others I can always count on good solid advice. That's my concern. Mom doesn't carry her phone. A para cord necklace with pendant won't break a clasp, get caught, break and fall off. Has to be waterproof as 1/2 of falls occur in shower or getting in & out of tub.

This message has been edited by JamesDingle777 on Apr 8, 2017 10:35 AM

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

My mom has one

April 7 2017, 1:13 PM 

It's additional piece of mind for us. She's fallen twice but I was there to help her up. It's nice to know though that if I wasn't available she could have gotten help. In the 5 or 6 years she's had it she's only accidently pushed the button on her wrist band once....in her sleep. We live next door and awoke to flashing emergency lights outside. The back up battery power is monitored and you're notified when the battery needs replacing. Life Alert provides batteries for free. Seems to me they last a year or more. Life Alert encourages you to test the unit once a month. They request you call ahead to let them know a test is being conducted but we've done it without notifying them first. Push the button and wait for the voice to come over the two-way speaker asking if the user is alright. If you're conducting a test, you tell them so, provide the password and they tell you the test was successful and thank you very much. If you push the button and it's not a test, you can either inform Life Alert what the problem is when they come on or, if Life Alert gets no response from you, emergency vehicles are dispatched. It can take up to 30 seconds for a Life Alert person to come over the speaker. One drawback is if your mom is hard of hearing and in another room if she accidentally pushes the button. In that case, if she doesn't hear Life Alert come over the speaker, emergency vehicles will be dispatched. You can use Live Alert in any emergency....fire, burglary, etc.

Life Alert owns the equipment, you only pay for the service and use of the equipment. If the equipment gives you trouble, Life Alert will replace it. If you have any questions about what your equipment is doing, you can call Life Alert on the phone and they will walk you through what's going on and assess if the equipment needs service or not.

My mom's is the simple, in-home version because she never leaves the house without me taking her. But I believe they now make ones that can be used away from home that send a signal with GPS coordinates. You'd have to look into that further.

I wouldn't let her be without it.

Good luck with your mom.

ChrisK

Respond to this message   

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)
YC

If they offer GPS, that would be best

April 7 2017, 2:08 PM 

My mother in law fell in her condo's lobby and broke her hip. The Life Alert could not reach her unit at the end of the building. That's understandable. She was able to get there with assistance and then used it. I was contacted and the dispatcher gave me running updates on where she was. It was impressive. She is now in assisted living. Terminating the contract and mailing the unit back was not impressive. Took many calls before they figured out she had a three year contract which affected the process. Still, it was worth it overall.

Respond to this message   
Roy Beck
(Login paparoyb)
YF12

Life Alert

April 7 2017, 2:22 PM 

Check with your local office for the aging. My sister has one through there and it is on a donate what you can afford basis. She donates $20 a month. They have the pendent type or the wrist one like a watch. Our office for the aging is very helpful and they have a number of good programs . HTH.

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

I just called Life Alert,you have to go through their sales...was like

April 7 2017, 2:51 PM 

a sales pitch...$95 for shipping and set-up plus$50-70 a month for monitoring.
Anyhow I was pressured some ..which I do not like...I still may get it,but want to look at other options and get the best alert for "our mom".

Respond to this message   

mikedoh
(Login mikedoh)
AR&P

Main problem: father refused to wear it, as did a friend's mother. Nft

April 7 2017, 4:59 PM 

Respond to this message   
tomaX9
(Login tomaX9)
YF12

We got one for my father. Didn't realize

April 7 2017, 6:25 PM 

it came pre-set to dial 911. After 3 seperate false alarms and the Rescue Squad showing up, we got it changed to dial a family member first. He never even realized he had somehow set it off.
It does provide peace of mind. It's good to know that he can just press the button on the pendant that is worn around the neck to get help.

This message has been edited by tomaX9 on Apr 7, 2017 6:30 PM

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

This seems like REALLY outdated technology. Isn't there a Bluetooth or android gizmo.

April 8 2017, 8:44 AM 

Ok Google I've fallen and I can't get up!

There has got to be new technology to address this issue.
$70 a month? No way! (not to sound coldhearted)

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Apr 8, 2017 9:35 AM

Respond to this message   
Old Ben(jamin)
(Login OldBen)
AR&P

Help.......

April 8 2017, 9:49 AM 

My wife finally convinced my extremely independent mother to wear one....she did, and apparently always thanked the morning and evening confirmation calls for calling! She did take a very serious fall in December (in Southern Ontario) (bad cuts but no broken bones) then crawled across the driveway then banged on her neighbor's door to get them to call 911. I was working in TX at the time, but when I got to the Hospital, I asked her why she didn't just push the button....."I didn't want to bother them that late at night....."
Barry in Tennessee

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

She sounds just like my mom,they do not want to bother anyone,my moms

April 8 2017, 11:45 AM 

favorite saying has been," I'll be alright".

Respond to this message   
James Dingle
(Login JamesDingle777)

You're right, too expensive when considering ANY cell phone, even one not

April 8 2017, 10:25 AM 

Currently paid up to have a plan, minutes, texts; ANY cell phone still allows 911 calls even when roaming. The only problem is sometimes, ( I know my Mother misplaces glasses & phone) loved ones forget. A necklace should be put on and never taken off. Hopefully one hand can reach that button.

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

After even the shortest possible search it looks like there are alternatives.

April 8 2017, 10:51 AM 

here is a search result from the last year. There are some very cheap ($2) type apps, or payed monitoring.
Granted some of them wouldn't do so well for a person experiencing memory loss.
https://www.google.com/search?q=android+medical+alert+device&num=100&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiN9_TDjJXTAhUBZSYKHRk7BdQQpwUIFA&biw=1600&bih=783

A comparison, all these options are cheaper than $70/month. Did you dial the schmuck line?
https://reviewster.com/best-fall-detection-apps-for-ios-and-android/

This message has been edited by gratewhitehuntr on Apr 8, 2017 10:54 AM

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

yes john...experience is the best teacher that is why I asked ...always good

April 8 2017, 11:43 AM 

to have options...another thing is my mom is 93yo and does not get along will with things she has to think about how to use...I put the price up $50-$70 month so others could see how much Life Alert cost...I will look for other options and will find the best for my mom.

Respond to this message   

Bill S
(Login tripleguy)
YC

This link may be a few years old

April 8 2017, 10:54 PM 

Not sure which one my mother had. I think she paid around $25/month so maybe it wasn't Life Alert. The company monitored the device and called 911 for you if you didn't answer and say everything was OK.http://myseniorsource.com/topics/home-safety/which-medical-alert-system-is-best

Sure, there are apps but you have to remember, these are generally old people - over 80 and they can't or won't operate a smart phone, much less carry one around at all times. My mother did wear her pendant at all times. Range - don't know. She could wear it in the yard and it still worked.
"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   

Jesse
(Login boscoebrea)
AR&P

Great.Thanks Bill.,....

April 9 2017, 11:26 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..