<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

i recently made a deal with another yellow member (selling my airgun)...

April 12 2017 at 12:46 AM
mkweyker  (Login mkweyker)
YF12

and have a question about safest way for both of us to make transaction.money order from post office?cashiers check from bank?,and whats the safest way to ship the gun?thru post office?or ups?thanks for your help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

daveshoot
(Login daveshoot)
AR&P

IMO, Paypal + UPS

April 12 2017, 7:32 AM 

Shippers are like car brands, I think every airgunner has a personal favorite and a most-hated, based on personal experience.

So you have my .02 after far too many transactions. I think USPS is a poor second, and Fedex is the worst. But from what I read on the forums, there are just as many who would rank them differently.

Fedex has really been consistently infuriating.

Respond to this message   
OldnUgly
(Login Oldnugly)
YC

Never had a problem with USPS or UPS.

April 12 2017, 8:20 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login stateofmisery)
YF12

Will cancel a order if sent Fedex.

April 12 2017, 9:15 AM 

We have had fedex fail on almost every delivery. We have called and complained for years and we still get sh!t service. Deliver when they want and always broke.
One time they busted 4 computer cases in a row, even when the manager brought it out in his car, almost two months late. Another time they sent my package from Mo to ILL via the Hawaiian islands, they said it was the fastest way. I could go on and on with them. UPS on the other hand has never busted a package, been late one or two times by a day due to weather. I even had one driver carry a large heavy box up my steep road due to weather. Mark

Respond to this message   

Scot Heath
(Login ish00ttrap)
YF

I'm just the opposite

April 12 2017, 10:13 AM 

My FedEx experience has been excellent. Superior tracking and delivery success is 100%. Not so much with UPS who after delivering hundreds of packages sent me a note telling me the address on the package (which was correct) didn't exist. USPS is fine but their tracking is crummy. I think my experience is largely influenced by the last-minute guy in the truck.

-Scot

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

When I need a money order, if ever, Amscot has them free. nt

April 12 2017, 10:42 AM 

Respond to this message   
James Perotti
(Login jpsaxnc)
AR&P

My brother lost a house payment, when the mail order co. went,

April 12 2017, 1:22 PM 

bankrupt.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Safest bets

April 12 2017, 3:56 PM 

The safest forms of payments for sellers would be PayPal or USPS money order, but instruct the buyer to make NO mention of guns in any PayPal transaction.

Last time I checked all the fine print, USPS considers air PISTOLS as firearms; so don't ship air pistols through the postal service. However USPS doesn't consider air RIFLES as firearms, Nevertheless I'd research their shipping regulations carefully, and not ship an airgun with any pressure remaining in the chamber (read the fine print).

As of the last time I checked, UPS was the safest bet for shipping airguns because of their (most) lenient airgun shipping regulations.

As for Fedex, they simply SUCK! Twice they've left packages in my driveway, outside my garage door, right in the left tire track. The first package I drove over contained 1,000 rounds of rimfire ammo. Thankfully only several of the plastic ammo boxes were broken, with no damage to any cartridges. But imagine if some of the rims were dented on that RIMFIRE ammo; specifically the possibility of a chain reaction if just ONE of the 1,000 rounds detonated! I WAS LIVID, and made that known in no uncertain terms when I spoke to the Fedex manager.

NEVERTHELESS, a couple months later Fedex left another package in the same place and I drove over it. Luckily the rifle scope was narrowly missed by the tire and was undamaged, but a half-dozen tins of JSB pellets were badly damaged. I repeat, FEDEX SUCKS!

Respond to this message   

John in FL.
(Login gratewhitehuntr)
AR&P

"The first package I drove over contained...." That's hillarious Ron!. nt

April 13 2017, 7:54 AM 

Respond to this message   
John Thomas in Spokane
(Login jcl08)
YF12

Air pistols are mailable, but adult signature is reqired. Links incl.

April 13 2017, 3:31 PM 

Adult signature is also required for air rifles over 400 FPS.
Here are the links to the fine print,

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep351100

See sec. 432.2 Handguns. part C.

Link to sec. 431.1, The firearm definition is basically the same definition that the ATF uses, IE; firearms use an explosive charge to expel a projectile, nothing about air, for that scroll down to sec 431.6 which clearly defines airgun.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep351100

Part 432 Mailability

See sec. 432.2 part C
sec. 432.3 part G

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

Do you have any cats left? n/t

April 19 2017, 12:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
mkweyker
(Login mkweyker)
YF12

thanks a million guys,very good advice,nt.

April 13 2017, 12:57 AM 

Respond to this message   

KW
(Login CuomoSux)
YF12

If you are the seller you are in the driver's seat.

April 13 2017, 12:43 PM 

You do NOT ship the gun until payment clears.

That means a personal check, a USPS money order, Western Union, cashiers check, credit union, or wampum will work. You simply do not ship the item until the payment is cleared. Period. You determine when the payment is clear.
1) With personal check you ask your bank to verify the funds and granting agency.
2) With USPS Money Order you can cash it at your Post Office so they can verify the MO.
3) With Western Union you walk out of the store with cash in hand.
4) With cashiers check you ask your bank to verify the funds and granting agency.
5) With Credit Union you ask your bank to verify the funds and granting agency.

You are not at risk unless you use PayPal via the vendor option. With PayPal the buyer can still get money out of your account long after the transaction is completed. If your bank account is attached to your PayPal account...the buyer can even access your back account without your permission. I verified this with my account manager at Five-Star Bank in NY.

As for shipping, use USPS. Why? Here is my first-hand experience.

1) Prices are nearly reasonable
2) Packages are trackable.
3) Packages are insured. (clams are settled in 30 days or less).
4) You do not have to tell the USPS what is in the package. UPS requires you to identify what is in the package.
5) Using Click-n-Ship at usps.com means that your regular mail delivery guy will pick up the package from your residence. By using Ciick-n-Ship I can ship any time from my front door. UPS requires that I drop off guns in person...at their shipping hub (not a UPS Store)...10 minutes away... between 4-6pm...unless they are late....or close early...or are having a sick day...or just don't feel like coming to work.

So....to recap:

Any payment method will do as long as you have you don't ship until your bank can verify the money.
Use USPS.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

One caveat about shipping USPS

April 13 2017, 2:45 PM 

As mentioned above, they consider air PISTOLS to be firearms.

Respond to this message   
John Thomas in Spokane
(Login jcl08)
YF12

They are mailable, see my response to your previous post above for links.NT

April 13 2017, 3:35 PM 

Respond to this message   

KW
(Login CuomoSux)
YF12

Ron, I think either you misread the regs or...

April 14 2017, 2:25 PM 

...someone at USPS gave your the wrong info.

I ship air pistol often repair or for sale (none for sale at this time.).

De gas them.
Insure them.
Request adult signature.

Respond to this message   
ChrisK
(Login r1lover)
YF

I'll never us USPS again....only UPS or FedEx

April 13 2017, 6:18 PM 

I purchased a $750 scope on Ebay. Immediately upon receiving it I sent it, insured via USPS, to the manufacturer for a custom reticle. It didn't show up at the destination and USPS tracking said it never left the local post office where I mailed it from. USPS acknowledged they'd lost it and told me to submit a claim. I submitted a claim along with the documents I was able to print from the Ebay transaction. The claim was denied citing insufficient proof of value. I wrote a stronger explanation and sent more paperwork. Again it was denied. I was advised that after two attempts/denials the matter was being sent to a third party with whom I had one more chance to appeal the denial and then I was S.O.L. I had a long conversations with Ebay and even they couldn't believe how the USPS was jerking me around. Ebay made a special effort to email me every proof possible of the value of my transaction and that the transaction had gone through. As I was preparing to submit my final appeal the manufacturer I sent the scope to contacted me (30 days later) and told me the scope had arrive. USPS tracking said it was still lost. A friend of mine who holds a VERY prominent position in the USPS told me USPS is the WORST at honoring claims and to use UPS or FedEx for valuable items.

Advise: document with thorough photos what you are sending. If you are selling, be prepared to provide proof of the sale price (which may still not be enough) and hope you can find the gun in some blue book for the same value you are selling it for.

Good Luck.

Respond to this message   

KW
(Login CuomoSux)
YF12

Opposite experience for me.

April 14 2017, 2:34 PM 

Had to make a USPS claim for a package to PA. Buyer got his insurance settlement in 30 days.

Had to make a USPS claim for a package to a US military base in Asia. Buyer got his insurance settlement in 30 days.

Because my packages were insured there was no question as to the value. Each buyer was paid the value of the insurance entered.

Sent a package to FL. Tracking stopped at the local PO. Local PO could not find the package. The buyer disappeared. I filed a claim. The PO could not find the buyer, so they sent the payment to me. I waited two months, then kept the claim money. Essentially got paid twice for the same item.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Apparently I stand corrected.

April 14 2017, 2:09 PM 

And apparently even a federal agency can (occasionally) get something right. WHO'DA THUNK IT?

Makes you wonder when it happened, and who actually had enough sense to make a common-sense change for the better (of the citizenry). Here's a link to many posts relating to how USPS used to consider air pistols as firearms-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/search?searchterm=USPS+firearm&sort=match

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..