<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
canadian100
(Login canadian100)

Casual nudity in showers

No score for this post
March 28 2012, 8:28 PM 

I am a little too young to have been compelled to swim nude at the YMCA or in high school or university but I remember from childhood onward when it was acceptable to be nude in a locker room after swimming or working out to take a shower, usually in an open shower room. It was expected and accepted that you would overcome your natural modesty and go nude to the shower.

Today I believe there are too many cultural reasons for nude swimming to return (fear of pedophiles, body issues, the forced nature of it etc.) even with hygeine as a new consideration, but I dont see any reason why more acceptance of casual nudity in a locker room related to cleaning up after exercise will not return. But there are conditions when casual nudity is more acceptable.

One of the major conditions is trust. For example in situations where people know each other such as team members, or even guys who play a game of pick-up ball in a gym. The fear level diminishes and theres more tendancy to do what makes sense and clean the sweat off with a shower after the game and do so nude. Ive experienced it myself and feel its natural to be naked in the presence of those I know better.

I also noticed that when there are open showers and people know one another casual nudity is more acceptable. Some of the community centers I use have grown lazy about fixing the shower stalls that were put up in the last 10-20 years due to lack of money and take them down leaving the showers an open space. Some guys then take advantage of the opportunity to overcome their social fear of nudity and shower naked alone or with their friends after a game.

Those stalls encourage fear and towel dancing because they imply that modesty is highly valued, but when the stalls are taken away the message is that modesty is not highly valued where appropriate (showering). Theres a freedom and satisfaction in being comfortable with your body that a lot of younger guys have never experienced and some seem to be alright with it when they try it, and older guys seem to have less fear of nudity in these situations.

Of course I also see fear where some guys dress after a game without showering.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Bob (in USA)
(Login TubaDawg)

Nude swimming, etc.

No score for this post
April 13 2012, 7:52 AM 

If I had a private back yard or patio, I would make good use of a pool or hot tub sans clothing. The relaxation would be excellent. Some years ago I was a member of a gym for gentlemen. The membership was diverse and cordial. We had guys who were straight, gay, bi, single, etc. Everyone respected each other's space and were quite professional in their workout routine. There was a huge hot tub, steam room, and other nice amenities. No one did the towel dance. Those using the facilities (hot tub, etc.) did so without clothing and everyone got along well. The level of cleanliness was incredible. The owner/manager took great care in the place being warm, inviting and sanitary. That was in the late 80's. I don't know if they are still in business; however, it was a great gym. Since moving, I miss the place.

Noel1835
(Login Noel1835)

Forced Vs. Required, Gyms and Me

No score for this post
April 18 2012, 10:45 AM 

I agree the culture's too gymnophobic for a return to required or even optional nude swimming outside of naturist venue, but I have to again take exception to the use of "forced" with respect to YMCA/JHS/HS/College swimming. I wasn't "forced" to communally shower, but if I chose to take PE, it was required. I could have quit school or found another or maybe gone through the embarrasment of getting special permission to avoid it.

When I was growing up, believe it or not, I knew of a whole bunch of pedophiles. I was even fondled by one. (Yes, it was wrong of him, but it wasn't a big trauma for me, he did it to a lot of kids.) The peds I knew were as normal as normal, good ole boy, handsome wholesome young men with wives and girlfriends, as could be. I have no memory of their activities ever taking place in a "required nudity" setting or associated with it in any way.

I'm not dissing gyms, but I don't do them. I've worked in lawn & garden for years and it keeps me in pretty good condition. Not an adonis, but I'm trimmed and well toned. I know weight work is good for the health---muscle and bones, but my vocation's left me with signicant joint and muscles wear, so I'm leary of adding to it, and don't want to do it just so I can go communally naked in a share. Biking also keeps me in pretty good shape.

I don't understand why the guys you play sports with in a gym and the gym director who organizes such activities are any more trustworthy than teachers, coaches and classmates at junior/high schools past? I'm not sure what the difference is. I was unathletic and awkward, socially and physically, all through school PE. There were some decent "alphas" who stuck up for me and treated me with respect, but I didn't bond with most of them, and I saw as much conflict and rivalry as bonding, but it pretty much ended at the showers, which weren't rowdy or lascivious at all. We knew about pedophiles and homosexuality. This was the mid/late seventies. I just have my doubts that this was that much of an issue, at least back then.

I honestly don't understand what all the paranoia is about. But then I guess I haven't walked a mile in the younger generation's shoes.

Noel1835
(no login)

Re: Nude Swimming, Showering, Some Personal Thoughts

No score for this post
April 19 2012, 8:04 PM 

Just a couple typo corrections.

It should be "I'm trim" not "trimmed". I don't trim my pubes or genitals. I do shave my torso, front & back, but that's all.

It was probably clear by context, but it should be "communally shower", not "share".

That's all.

Butch Bartlett
(no login)

Showering Etc after Football Practice

No score for this post
April 25 2012, 7:14 PM 

Hi Guys -- Your posts about nude showering take me back to the summer when my folks had moved to a new town just before the start of my sophomore year of high school. One late summer morning I went down to the school for the first day of tryouts for the varsity football team. We were all crowded into the locker room as parental consent forms were gathered, medical checks were made and equipment was issued. After we had changed into our practice uniforms coach called us together for a talk before we went out to the field for our drills. He said those returning would already know but for those of us who were new he wanted to tell us his philosophy about handling our still-growing bodies. He said that when we came back from practice, took off our gear and headed for the showers some of us could have hard-ons. And that some would get hard in the showers. That was perfectly normal and was to be respected. Then he went on to say that the best way to handle that situation was to soap it up, pump it out and just get on with your day.

Sure enough, when we came back from three hours of drill and a scrimmage and took off our uniforms, one of the guys popped a boner as soon as his jock came off. Then by the time we got into the gang shower room two more had sprung. One of the guys was the team captain, a real nice guy who was big all over and he seemed to take the lead for the three of them who quietly stroked themselves to resolution. Not a word was said about it.

As the weeks went by there was the usual wet-towel snapping, name-calling and teasing — but there was never any comment made about anybody's size, how fast they came or how far they shot. And there were at least two different guys after each practice who needed to beat themselves off. That matter was still private even though it was in plain view of all of us. My first time came around one day when undressing I notice that the ribbing of my jock had embossed itself on my somewhat enlarged dick — it continued growing on the way to the showers. So I just did what needed to be done while a couple of others did the same thing. Usually we would face a wall while doing it or aim at a drain although sometimes a couple of guys would look at each other and have a crooked smile. It felt a little funny cumming but I was glad to have it over and be more a part of the group. I would need to do the 'soap and pump' every now and then, usually on days when I hadn't had a chance to take care of myself before I left home in the morning. I don't think any of us ever planned to be shooting in the showers, it just happened.

And the pumping only took place after practice, never after a game when there were newspapermen in the locker room along with other teachers and well-wishers. And our team really did well each year I was there for a school our size. Many of us thought later on that our winning on the field went back to all that semen spilled on the shower room floor which had forged such a strong brotherhood of trust and interdependence among us.

As we used to say on the team, "it never hurts to shoot some spurts" — it's natural, it's just part of life.

Bob (in USA)
(Login TubaDawg)

Re: Nude swimming, Showering and Some Personal Thoughts

No score for this post
April 29 2012, 12:23 PM 

I have some memories of the communal showers at camps, summer programs, etc. By the time I got to high school (and we had returned to the southern states), the showers were there, and no one ever used them. That was the case at 3 schools. Also, I remember that the communal showers were no big deal. We just took a shower and moved along. Occasionally, there was a little horseplay. The funniest thing I remember was one of the fellows had finished his shower, the exit flooring was fairly wet, and he started a "contest" to see who could slide the furthest on their butt. It was funny as hell!

Back to the part of new location of living and upper grades... I don't know what the change was, actually no one ever spoke of it; that was the most unusual part. In college, the showers were communal. The guys walked down the hall wearing towels. It was a morning routine and that was that.

Much like some of the posters, I've observed the level of openness and comfort with the body (regardless of physical conditioning) go from open, then to semi-concerned, then to very concerned, and of course presently the state of affairs.

When I was in the period of what I termed "quite open," no one was talking about nudity in showering or swimming being "bad," and no one had a problem with that aspect of life. As a younger person, I never witnessed the "witch hunt" mentality for perverts. Further, I didn't have cause to think in that frame of mind.

Yes, I am a modest individual. I enjoy casual nudity at home, hot tub at the gym sans clothing, and sleeping nude. I do not have a "six pack," (or even three - HA!), I am not the picture of fitness for a magazine cover, and I am quite fine with my natural self.

Many say that the pendulum of history seems to repeat itself in some varied forms. If one of those elements "reset" itself, it would be fantastic for the regeneration of the human natural body to be celebrated, thought of as a thing of beauty, and to see the movement back to a more natural, relaxed, enjoyable style of living. That may be optimistic, but I am an optimist and don't wish to abandon hope.

Noel1835
(Login Noel1835)

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 5:22 PM 

Butch,

I guess just because this wasn't my experience I can't say it wasn't yours, but this sounds more like a fantasy than reality.

Nude swimming and mixed-gender viewing of classes, practices and meets is one thing. Your coach or teacher urging you to masturbate in the shower is entirely another. Not necessarily that I disapprove, but there were fairly serious Christians in team sports in my school and if anything like that'd happened I don't know if they could've kept quiet about it. And if they'd told their parents, it'd make the "scandals" we did have back then & there look pretty puny by comparison.

Whether they actually masturbated or not, maybe the football team was rowdier than the PE class, which apart from some joking, the usual locker room banter, and in junior high, a few isolated instances of towel snapping, was never really that rowdy or rambunctious. I remember it all as pretty staid in a non-chalant way. I think everybody was pretty tired out after the workout.

Noel1835
(Login Noel1835)

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 5:22 PM 

Butch,

I guess just because this wasn't my experience I can't say it wasn't yours, but this sounds more like a fantasy than reality.

Nude swimming and mixed-gender viewing of classes, practices and meets is one thing. Your coach or teacher urging you to masturbate in the shower is entirely another. Not necessarily that I disapprove, but there were fairly serious Christians in team sports in my school and if anything like that'd happened I don't know if they could've kept quiet about it. And if they'd told their parents, it'd make the "scandals" we did have back then & there look pretty puny by comparison.

Whether they actually masturbated or not, maybe the football team was rowdier than the PE class, which apart from some joking, the usual locker room banter, and in junior high, a few isolated instances of towel snapping, was never really that rowdy or rambunctious. I remember it all as pretty staid in a non-chalant way. I think everybody was pretty tired out after the workout.

Noel1835
(Login Noel1835)

Score 2.0 (1 person)
April 30 2012, 5:35 PM 

Bob,

I think back in the period of communal showers, nude swimming, etc., we can't really say that "no one had a problem with that aspect of life." From what I've read, a sizeable minority, parents and students, did have at least mixed feelings about it, whether they were justified or not. I think there's always been a huge variation in the way people have semi/nudity, with lots of arbitrary inconsistencies. Maybe even some individuals felt differently about it from time to time, sometimes comfortable, sometimes not, depending on the situation.

Also, even the ones who had no problem or little problem with the old institutional nudity, probably didn't have a naturist's attitude about it. I suspect the particular compartmentalizations of nudity in their day was something they grew up with. They accepted it because authority and most of society did, even though at times even they may have been uncomfortable with it. This is just what I've come to suspect from my own feelings and reading the personal histories of it.

NakedBudd
(no login)

Ah, to have lived back in the 50s and 60s...

No score for this post
August 2 2015, 3:19 PM 

...when casual male nudity was rampant and accepted. happy.gif

Old Marty
(Login OldMarty)

Ah, but I did live back in the '30s and '40s

No score for this post
August 7 2015, 9:44 AM 

... when casual male nudity was rampant and accepted.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement