Anyone's Son

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Robert Opelthorpe
(no login)

the filmmakers

January 13 2008, 4:59 PM 

JD struck me as someone romanticizing Harry's act -he wasn't there, he was way too young.
after my conversation with him he seemed in awe of Harry as some kind of character in the Door's The End. Far from what that song is about. But I digress. I got the feeling he felt warm and fuzzy about Harry and saw this a coming of age story in some twisted way. Far from the truth.
I was there. It's about mental illness, anguish and family secrets. I lost a freind that night. I doubt there will be anything new uncovered, nor will the truth be told for the dead who cannot speak.

G - L - O - R - I - A

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Read, Read , Read the Message Board!

August 14 2005, 12:12 AM 

I agree with the other post.. being the former police chief's son does NOT make Gary Hanna the MOST credible resource. In spite of what people say or think on this message board, Harry actually hung around a group of people in high school, was in BOY scout troup 334, played baseball in MAL.. These people who spent time with Harry are far more credible then a former police chief's son! Very few of these same people have actually signed on as consultants, however... That should tell you something.

Respond to this message   
relocated II
(no login)

No, but...

March 29 2006, 12:17 PM 

You sound just like a cheerleader! All happiness and high school was great! You are entirely too bouncy to be on this message board- and way too logical in your responses. Get a grip and get nasty like the rest of them.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Dr. Hansen, did you do a cost/benefit analysis...

July 24 2005, 10:48 PM 

...before becoming a psychologist? Or was psychology your calling?

Telling stories is also a calling. I don't pretend to know the folks involved in this project, but as an independent filmmaker I do know that you do NOT get into it for the money. Break even is great, if you can get there. Many times, you don't. Do they think they'll make money? Probably. Is this the sole reason they're doing it? Let me ask you a question: is your paycheck the sole reason that you do your job?

What turns storytellers on is a compelling narrative. Compelling narratives require conflict. What many people on this board fail to see is the storytelling value in the conflict beyond that generated by the murders themselves. And by the posts in support, it is plain that many people feel the same way. Is it voyeurism? That all depends upon how it is told. I didn't receive the postcard, I don't know what their marketing strategy is and I don't care. But to lump this in with every other sensational murder case? Face it, folks, it was big news up around us but it ain't Scott Peterson.

Telling a story is a valuable end in itself. It needn't save a life, it needn't teach a lesson. All the better if it does, absolutely. But stories come in all sizes, shapes, flavors and colors. And this one, macabre as it is, is just another one.

The wrong reason NOT to tell a story is because it might offend someone. Those are often the very stories of which we should be telling more.

Respond to this message   
1983 grad
(no login)

Re: Do you have the courage to tell the truth?

August 8 2005, 10:49 AM 

I cannot tell you how tired I am of reading these posts and discovering
that people feel that Harry was justified in committing murder just because
he was picked on in high school and his father was too demanding. Give me
a break. I too was picked on in high school. If you weren't a football
player or a cheerleader, you were fair game.

I too grew up in a dysfunctional home. My father was a nasty drunk and
my mother was a very cold woman who was never around. And when she was,
she was critical, demanding, and hateful.

Did I murder MY family?? No. I sucked it up, rose above it, and made
something of myself. That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Poor Harry. Picked on in high school and pushed to do well by his
father. Boo hoo. What about the kids who are beaten to bloody pulps,
burned with cigarettes, starved, sexually molested, etc. THAT IS
SUFFERING!!

Respond to this message   
Toni
(Login tonicot)

A little compassion

August 8 2005, 12:50 PM 

I don't think anyone is justifying or condoning Harry's actions. Those of us who went to school with Harry can look back and see that there is a possibility that years of being tormented by his peers, family abuse and pressures had to contribute to his mental instability. This was not just a high school issue. Harry was mistreated since grade school by his peers and his father was abusive as well. Most of the serial killers and mass murderers have come from very abusive backgrounds. Not everyone can rise above their mental pain and anguish and that is why we live in a world full of angry wack jobs.
By the time we were in high School the torment and ridicule really kicked up a few notches for Harry and certain others.. I remember saying to my best friend, I hope Harry never gets hold of a gun because he's probably got a lot of anger.I thought for sure he would wind up killing one of his tormentors in school, I just didn't think it would be his whole family. Anyway, I am glad to hear that you rose above your abuse and became a productive person. Not everyone does.

Respond to this message   
paper boy
(no login)

I was also there

August 16 2005, 7:57 PM 

I was there the morning of this tragedy. I was a paperboy for the Bergen Record. Mrs DelaRoche was the distributor of the paper and I would pick up the papers at her house. Ronnie, Eric and myself would walk together with our papers. I remember Mrs. DelaRoche as a very nice woman. I also remember Mr. DelaRoche. He appeared to be tough on his kids. I remember him always yelling at his boys at little leaugue games. He was pretty tough on them. I remember Harry because he would sometimes give us a ride to deliver our papers. I did not know him well but I heard he was picked on quite frequently.

I've read many of these messages and it seems everyone has an opinion which is fine, everyone is entitled. But I urge people to read the book, read the police reports and most of all read the confession. This is no "mystery", no "urban myth". I have an opinion like everyone else. Harry did this because he did not want to go back to the Citadel. End of story. He was from a dysfunctional family, like many families in Montvale. He was picked on. He could have gotten in his Mustang and drove off. He could have made a hundred different choices.

I've watched the video on the web site and this lunatic believes what he says. He says Judges make mistakes. I don't know many judges that stuff a body in a trunk or murder thier entire family.

I agree with what Gary Hanna has to say. If this story has to be told talk to everyone that was involved. I'm also sure Gary is proud of the work of his father and the Montvale Police Dept which has this case solved by 1:00 pm the day of the murders.

Respond to this message   
Mango85HRChamp
(no login)

Keep doing what you do

August 24 2005, 2:17 PM 

As disturbing as these happenings may have been I personally am very intrigued by this project. I was 9 years old and living in Montvale when the murders occurred. If the extensive research required is performed, I don't see why this story shouldn't be told. I don't think anyone is out to glorify the happenings in 1976, it appears the creators of this project are just looking to understand how & why something like this could happen.
I am also very excited about their next project: "The Life & Times of Robbie Ramasco". From what I understand this rollercoaster story takes us from his days at the Montvale Swim Club to his induction to the Wiffle Ball Hall of Fame. This movie is not rated due to Strong Language

Respond to this message   
Chickie
(no login)

Old days

August 26 2005, 10:24 AM 

Hey,

Don’t really give a crap about Harry. I think he did it. But what has been driving me crazy is I can’t remember your sister’s name. She used to kick our asses in tag every night, she was older that us. Don’t know if your remember that from the Williams road house. Your dad also kindled my love for fireworks, he used to give us crackers, the precursor to the cheap snap bombs they sell now. I have mostly fond memories of Montvale and growing up there. Of course would have been boring with out our own Kramer, Jeff Stump!

Respond to this message   
Greg Rice
(no login)

Hey Rey

October 10 2005, 10:50 PM 

Just wanted to say that Burg is alive and well and eeking out a manner of existence in Brooklyn....your contributions to this have been provocative....I didn't know you could write so well.... and, yes the Pascack brook was among some of the wilding we would get into....

Respond to this message   
Chicky
(no login)

Re: Hey Rey

October 13 2005, 6:20 PM 

Dude, you so have mail from jaxhospice!

Respond to this message   
rake
(Login mind58)

censorship

September 23 2005, 2:27 PM 

The messages I post seemed to be erased within a few hours of being posted. There seems to be censorship on this message board. That makes the truth difficult to discover. I am interested in learning about some people I use to party with back in the 1970's. One was a girl that lived on Saddle River Road, maybe Upper Saddle River Road. Anyway it was at the end of Huff Terrace and it was still in Montvale. The other two are also girls Pat Coleman and Kathy Kirker. I use to party with all three of them at school and sometimes Harry would join us. He seemed to be a kind and gentle soul and did not seem like the killing kind. Please do not censor my message, Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Peter Christian
(Login christpl)

co-written by a lying murderer

November 27 2008, 11:08 PM 

Gary,

"co-written by a lying murderer"

I was unaware of this. I hope these documentaries are NOT an experience of self pity and whining victimization. Those looking for a deeper reasoning in this.. A shocking revelation I remember Eric being a normal kid in class. That's it. Until of course the crime. I do hope that people remember this was a terrible crime with the true victims unable to speak for themselves.

I stumbled across this site while researching my home town. This snapshot of the borough is not the sum total of our experiences. Fortunately most graduates during our time in school became responsible adults accountable for their actions. Although its not going to sell, perhaps the borough should allow a blog from residents of town to make contributions to our shared history.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

DO YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO TELL THE TRUTH

December 11 2008, 4:48 PM 

MAYBE WE NEED TO LOOK AT HOW HARRY WAS TREATED AT THE POLICE STATION? WHY NO LAWYER, PASTOR OR FAMILY MEMBER? THIS WAS A YOUNG KID WHO WAS PROBABLY FORCED INTO A CONFESSION OF SOME SORT. SCARED, ALONE. THIS IS A SAD SITUATION. GIVE IT A REST. I AM NOT SAYING HE DIDN'T DO IT, I WASN'T THERE, BUT NEITHER WERE ANY OF THESE PEOPLE COMMENTING AND CONSULTING. MAYBE IF HARRY HAD BEEN SHOWN ALITTLE COMPASSION AND SOMEONE KNEW ALL THESE THINGS THAT WERE GOING ON AT SCHOOL AND HOME THEY COULD HAVE GOTTEN HIM SOME HELP AND THIS WHOLE THING WOULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY. THINK ABOUT IT. HE HAD NO FRIENDS IN MONTVALE, BUT MANAGED TO MAKE SOME IN PARK RIDGE. WHY HASN'T ANYONE ASKED THEM????? YOUR GOING TO TELL ME THE STAFF AT PASCACK HILLS HADN'T A CLUE WHAT WAS GOING ON. DOESN'T SAY MUCH FOR THE TEACHING STAFF. IF THAT WAS GOING ON TODAY BY LAW A TEACHER WOULD HAVE TO MAKE INQUIRIES AND EVEN REPORT SUSPIOUS BEHAVIOR " DYFUS"??????????????ANYONE KNOW ABOUT IT. WELL YOU BEST HAVE YOUR TEACHERS LEARN ABOUT IT.

Respond to this message   
Jill
(no login)

OMG

February 3 2009, 10:49 PM 

As a family member I find it sick they made a movie of my family's tradgey. Just leave it alone.

Respond to this message   
dellrose
(Login DELLROSE)

I am so sorry Jtll

November 9 2009, 6:47 PM 

Hi Jill,

I don't even know who you are, or what your relasonship with
Harry was. That is why this is kind of a difficult letter to
write.
So, that is what I don't know. This is what I do know.
First hand.
I lived and played with Harry. This is so strange to write
this, because I still don't know your relationship with my
friend. But that's o.k. I do know what my "friendship" with
Harry was.
Me and Harry would play together because we lived right across
the street from each other, and because we were the same age,
and because we just liked each other.

I remember befor the De La Roches moved in across the street
from us, in that house was a Mrs. Greer. Maybe Mrs. De La Roches
mother? Not sure. But at that time, her house was white, with
green trim and a wrap around porch with big oak trees in the front yard.

Jill, I am sure all of this hurts you to read, but for whart it's
worth, just know ......you have a fried in Vermont.

AIMEE "VARIAN" CONGDON

Respond to this message   
Kim
(no login)

Re: OMG

March 25 2012, 1:26 AM 

Hi Jill, I just happened to notice your post from last year. I am just curious as to how you are related to Harry??? Harry is my first cousin. We were such a small family and I don't remember anyone by the name of Jill?

Respond to this message   
Kim
(no login)

Re: Do you have the courage to tell the truth?

March 25 2012, 1:30 AM 

I can't believe that you all have nothing better to do than discuss this tragedy from so long ago. I am Harry's first cousin and although I want nothing to do with him, he does deserve to live in peace and not have people talk behind his back. Considering that he is incarcerated and has no way to defend himself, you should all be ashamed. As far as the making of the movie, I don't care much for the fact that my familys tragedy will become a major motion picture, but if it saves just one life, by making one parent stop and think before they are mean to their children, then its all worth it.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on MoviesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement