Anyone's Son

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Harry and The Citadel

December 13 2005 at 1:48 PM
Citadel '82  (no login)

I arrived at the Citadel in the summer of '78. I remember the upperclassmen giving us shit around Thanksgiving telling us not to go home and murder our family and making us chant "Harry, Harry ..." while we formed up for mess or parade. It was a big joke and the upperclassmen that were around Harry two years before were proud that they may have had a part in driving him over the edge. Causes me to chuckle looking back on it. Never, ever show weakness at a place like that.

I became curious about what ever became of Harry and if the Citadel is ever mentioned in connection with the murders. I found this web site. Pretty cool, reminds me of growing up in Pittsburgh in the mid-70s.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
dominick
(no login)

Sick

January 30 2006, 6:48 PM 

This is a sick puppy.

Respond to this message   
Citadel '87
(no login)

Not sick, just...

February 1 2006, 3:04 PM 

...different.

I know where '82 is coming from, and suffice to say that "you had to be there." Thanksgiving of '83, upperclassmen still told us not to kill our families when we got home.

I grew up in New England, and might not have heard of the place, except that I saw the (innacurate and unfair) Bill Moyers piece after the murders about how the place was a giant psychopath factory. Strangely, this is attractive to someone who's looking for a real challenge after high school.

It is not the place to show any weakness, and it will uncover any cracks you have when you get there. This is back in the "attrition is our mission" days, but only about half of us made it from day one to graduation. There were plenty of guys, though, in similar (or worse) situations to Harry's that not only made it, but did well.

But if anyone's still got any uncertainty about Harry's motive, Thanksgiving is your first real break back in the "real" world, and it's a looooong flight back to Charleston under the best of circumstances.

Hey '82- hope all is well with you, sir, and Go Bulldogs!

Respond to this message   
Citadel '82
(no login)

Doin' alright

February 27 2006, 1:05 PM 

Hey '87,

Doin alright.

How did you find this board? What company were you in?

What a bunch of whining that goes on here. There were "hard-guys" and other bullies that populated my high school, but I can't even remember their names and only vaguely remember their faces and some of the antics they pulled.

Respond to this message   
Joe
(no login)

Re

February 15 2008, 5:22 PM 

I can understand why Harry did what he did -he did not want to go back to the school. That place can get crazy down there-I heard that can be so mean to freshman -back then-any sign of weakness you are going down to them-wounder how harry feels now that they allow females at the school?

Respond to this message   
H
(no login)

Harry

December 11 2009, 10:02 PM 

From what I understand from someone who was a friend of Harry, he never wanted to go to the Citadel in the first place. His father picked out school, and sent in the application, etc. Took care of it all.

Met a supply officer in the Nay who was a classmate of Harry at the Citadel. Said he was a loner who didn't fit in. There were three of us on that boat who knew mass murderers; but two of us knew Harry. I graduated from PHHS in 1973.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on MoviesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement