Anyone's Son

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How has what happened to Harry changed us?

December 29 2007 at 7:49 PM
Lordschild  (Login Lordschild)

I stumbled on this site and started thinking back. I will always remember that day as if it was yesterday. I believe that Harry did it but it wasn't the Harry that I knew. The Harry I knew was a gentle person. I think was just trying to find the only way out (in his mind) that he would not have to go back to the Citadel.
I have always thought that and it's had a big impact on the way I've raised my children. I live in a rural community and here I see so many parents pushing their kids to work in family businesses or on the farm or go to some college that they feel is best for "little Johnny". When my second son graduated school, he enlisted in the Marines. My first instinct was "oh my God, he's gonna die in Iraq." But I prayed about it and realized that this is his dream, not mine. He's the most patriotic kid I know and he's always been interested in the military. I could never do what Harry's family did and send him to a school he didn't want to go to.
I was in the class of '76. As for the bullying that went on at Hills, well, that same kind of thing happens all over. That doesn't make it right, but it just reality. The best thing we can do is teach our kids to treat people with respect and stand up for the underdog.
I read a lot of the posts on here and there's a lot of negative feelings out there about Pascack Hills and the people we went to school with. I don't understand how there can be so much animosity 30 years later! I can remember some negative things from back then but I also remember a lot of good times.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Relle
(no login)

Yes, What's Up With All The Animosity?

January 16 2008, 8:42 AM 

Your post is rare in its sanity. Yes, what is with all this animosity 30 years later? I was hardly one of the popular members of the student body, but I, too, remember good times at Hills rather than this dark undercurrent we are seeing so much of NOW. Taking what you saw happen to Harry and using it to positively influence how you raised your kids is making good out of bad. Too bad we're not seeing more of that. Go figure. It's sad.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on MoviesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement