church of God forum

Contact Us-IVox Populi blog

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Anybody know??

December 19 2009 at 10:10 AM
Dale  (Login dkw1961)
Registered Users

My parents who are h told me about a man who had been speaking about his life/testimony at a h church somewhere in the southern states Georgia? My parents said they had called a phone number and listened via phone.I understood that it was a conference wide broadcast but I could be wrong. He was an "outsider" who had joined the h church and apparently had some extraordinary life experiences. Me being a tad skeptical am curious where the truth stops and bs starts. Anyone be able to clue me in to who this person is? It would have happened in the last year or less.

Dale

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
TR
(Login anaverageh)

Re: Anybody know??

December 19 2009, 1:20 PM 

My first guess would be Stuart Loomis, just because I personally know him, and the rough description you gave sort of fits.

Steven Thiessen
(Login StevenThiessen)
Registered Users

December 19 2009, 1:35 PM 

What sort of extraordinary life experiences are we talking about, Dale?

Dale
(Login dkw1961)
Registered Users

December 19 2009, 1:45 PM 

Mom and Dad had a hard time relating some of it...memory not that good anymore. I think there was a car accident while racing that he miraculously survived.My mom said he went on and on for hours and she finally quit listening. It sounded a bit interesting to know that the h people had him on a broadcast. The name was never given to me by my parents just because I wouldnt have known the person.TR can you fill me in. I dont want to start rumours.

TR
(Login anaverageh)

December 19 2009, 2:18 PM 

Dale, that does sound much like him.

I don't know a LOT about him, and I don't want to start rumors either happy.gif

I have listened to one of his talks, the talks were largely based on his experience with doubting creation as the Scriptures teach, and the belief that there is a God. These things were troubling to him, and he did a lot of study on it, and came to the conclusion that there was indeed a God. He was in a car wreck from a race that did have an impact on his life.

He was a scientist, and helped designed parts for NASA (space program)(I did remember that).

I have a feeling that there is at least one or two H members here that know him quite well, and can give a better picture than I.

Edit: One of the experiences also involve an extremely powerful telescope, and him spending several hours examining an insect (I think it was an insect). If memory serves me correctly, he was basically getting down to the smallest parts that make up matter.

Edit 2: If I didn't have trouble with my memory, I could go on a bit. I was intrigued.

This message has been edited by anaverageh on Dec 19, 2009 2:21 PM

Dale
(Login dkw1961)
Registered Users

December 19 2009, 2:30 PM 

TR. That all sounds familiar. You jogged my memory when you mentioned NASA. I know my Dad mentioned that but I wouldnt always take it at face value as his hearing is not always that great.
I am more intrigued by the fact this man found God and then joined the holdeman church. Did he study the holdeman theology with a telescope or rather a microscope? happy.gif

Carolyn
(Login Carolyn-D)

Dale

December 19 2009, 2:37 PM 

"Did he study the holdeman theology with a telescope or rather a microscope? "

Thank you for a good laugh, your dry humor is appreciated!

Carolyn

[linked image]

Bee Kind

TR
(Login anaverageh)

December 19 2009, 2:39 PM 

Dale,

Both happy.gif

Actually he joined several years back, must be 15-20 years ago. I was with my folks when they visited him once or twice about that time in a nearby city.

GM
(Login GMman1)

December 19 2009, 3:03 PM 

I also personally know Stuart (Sumner) Loomis. I will try to give you a concise report on his life. His parents were athiest and he was an athiest. He was a scientist at Huntsville Ala. in the '70's. He invented a vital part on the moon rover. He says if you ever make it up there you will see his name on it. There are many other scientific accomplishments by Stuart.
He was always intriqued by creation vs evolution. He was an evolutionist but things just did not add up. So he started on a journey to prove creation. This all was a long process for him. Also in this process he just had to find out for sure if there was a God. Once he was working in a science lab in some northeastern state and his employer could not find the answer on how to make a certain component work so he asked Stuart to go to a certain university I believe and use a very high-powered microscope on a weekend when it was not in use. When he first started looking in this microscope there was something in there, a moth. So he decided to take a quick closeup on it. he honed in on an eye. I cannot even begin to tell you what all he seen, this inside of that,etc. It was really fascinating. Anyway he started hearing noises on the floor above him(he had went there on a Sunday evening) and went up to discover the people were showing up for work on Monday morning. He had spent all night on that moth,not realizing how fast the time was going by. The conclusion he came to in discovering that eye was that there had to be a very intelligent being that created it.
If I remember right, one night he was in a motel and seen a Gideon Bible there and started reading in it. Then he started looking for people that lived like what the Bible talked about. People that worked with him told him to go to some Amish at a certain area, so he did that. He went to a Bishop he was told to talk to, the man was out in the field. So he went out there and the man just kept working and finally came over to talk to him. They went over to a tree, sat down and talked. It all sounded pretty good until the man said something that didn't sound right, didn't line up with the Bible. So that ended the conversation. He went to some type of mennonites and was quite impressed with them. But then he seen some deep problems there, anger and divisions, so he left there. Then there was someone he was talking to that knew Gladwin Koehn(I am quite sure that is who it was, some one correct me if not) so he went to meet him, was invited to church. I believe there or some cong. close there were having revivals so he went to a few meetings. Then they asked him to sit in on a members meeting, which he did. What he seen he had never witnessed., the openness in confessing faults etc. When the ministers got up to confess there faults, that's when he knew he had found the right church because ministers never confess their faults before their congregation.
I'll stop right there. As I said, this is just the highlights of his testimony. If any of this is incorrect someone can correct me. This was written all from my memory.

Dale
(Login dkw1961)
Registered Users

December 19 2009, 3:17 PM 

Thanks for the info GM.Interesting story.
Do you know why the conference wide broadcast? My parents live in Swan River Canada so they did not hear him in person. I believe it was live from somewhere in the USA.

Forreal
(Login Pianisimo)

Anybody know??

December 19 2009, 3:27 PM 

I probably don't know Stuart any better than TR, but he has been a member for at least 30 years.  Probably pushing 70 or older now.  He worked with some of the most intelligent scientists ever assembled including Werner Von Braun  with NASA.  Helped develop the lunar rover if I recall correctly.  He tried to take his life several times with fast cars before he met the Lord.  After his conversion one of his eccentric scientist friends, (actually a Jew) steered him to the H.  His mind works in very strange ways, he can only take in a church service unless he is reading a book while simultaneously listening to a sermon. It used to bother people when they would see him reading, but if they would ever quiz him on the sermon he could almost repeat it verbatim.  When he sings he will try to sing all four parts jumping back and forth, meanwhile managing to harmonize with the rest.  One of the things that helped convince him of the Christian view point of creation was the computations that he did involving the moon landing.  He told other scientists that if the moon was as old as commonly believed the space craft would instantly be buried under huge drifts of dust on the moon.  His calculations of how much loose dirt would be on the moon surface using the Bible as a dating tool proved to be amazingly accurate.  I have never heard his speach on the Creation versus Evolution and his background, but my son-in-law is very captivated with him and has related a fair amount of information.  I have also met him personally, back when he was still working for the government.  He gives such a tremendous amount of material in his lectures that most walk away with only a fraction of what he actually said.   The mennonite broadcast system is very basic, if you hear he is going to be holding a lecture series, call the congregation where he will be at and get a call in number.  Not actually what I would call a broadcast system per se, but it is amazing the amount of people who will check in on a service like that.  Stuart is much like many very gifted, intelligent people, if you get him out of his niche he is probably less capable than you or I at basic tasks.  (Stupid people like myself like to believe that at least!)  Edited later:  GM was posting at the same time I was, sorry for a deluge of information.  Similar to Stuart, huh?

This message has been edited by Pianisimo on Dec 19, 2009 3:31 PM

GM
(Login GMman1)

December 19 2009, 3:41 PM 

Your welcome, Dale. I could give a lot more detail, such as the accident, but I just can't piece it all together just now. He also tried to kill himself wanting to hit a viaduct bridge column but each time he tried it something prevented him from carrying it out, he attributed it to God's hand.

Every congregation has a conference call-in number so anyone that knows that number can call in there. For that last two years his schedule has been quite full, being asked by all(or many of them) the congregations in the US to give his report in which he goes into a lot of detail. He has a projector he has with him and sets up for slides such as drawings of Noah's ark, early civilization, etc.

San Juanito
(Login SanJuanito)

Anybody know??

December 19 2009, 4:38 PM 

"... he has been a member for at least 30 years."
"His mind works in very strange ways,..."

Taken together, I think these quotes tell you everything you need to know.  happy.gif

GM
(Login GMman1)

December 19 2009, 4:52 PM 

?

This message has been edited by GMman1 on Dec 19, 2009 5:34 PM

Sirius
(Login Sirius65)

December 19 2009, 5:43 PM 

Taken together, I think these quotes tell you everything you need to know. happy.gif

I agree with San Juanito.

Carolyn
(Login Carolyn-D)

Hmmmmm!

December 19 2009, 6:22 PM 

And Merry Christmas to all! happy.gif

Bee Kind

TR
(Login anaverageh)

December 19 2009, 8:19 PM 

San Juanito,

You must be H?

or at least you are good at "taking things out of context"...

lol

YoYo789
(Login YoYo789)

December 21 2009, 9:38 AM 

Although I don't know this gentleman, he is a bit of a "celebrity". I have heard him referred to on several occassions usually in the context of supporting that we have the truth. One scientist joins the church in 30 years and this must be proof that we are the one true. Oh Brother!

muttherlode
(Login virtualsister)
Moderators

December 21 2009, 10:28 AM 

I have been told bits and pieces of what he talks about in his roving reports, and the bottom line seems to be that he found US and WE are the TRUTH.

YoYo789
(Login YoYo789)

December 21 2009, 10:54 AM 

In our congregation in the last 10 years 4 outsiders attended with the desire to join. 3 were deemed not good enough, 1 joined but was gone 2 years later. I guess none were celebrity scientists. So this scientist found a church home that he was comfortable with, good for him. What about all the others that aren't good enough?

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Caution: This forum may contain statements and comments that are offensive. If you are easily offended, please exit this forum now. By using this forum you agree to be accountable and liable for your post's. All postings are the responsibility of the posting participant. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the management.

Click here to see Fair use notice What the CGCM believes, (Stoppels site)