church of God forum

Contact Us-IVox Populi blog

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS..........

July 14 2010 at 9:51 PM

(Login Carolyn_M)

Subject: "ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS, ITS WHAT YOU SEE" HENRY DAVID THOREAU

[linked image]

THE SITUATION

In Washington , DC , at a Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007, this man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, approximately 2,000 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After about 3 minutes, a middle-aged man noticed that there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried on to meet his schedule.

About 4 minutes later:

The violinist received his first dollar. A woman threw money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

At 6 minutes:

A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

At 10 minutes:

A 3-year old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head the whole time. This action was repeated by several other children, but every parent - without exception - forced their children to move on quickly.

At 45 minutes:

The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

After 1 hour:

He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed and no one applauded. There was no recognition at all.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold-out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100 each to sit and listen to him play the same music.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the D.C. Metro Station, was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities.

This experiment raised several questions:

In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty?

If so, do we stop to appreciate it?

Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this:

If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made. How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Steven Thiessen
(Login StevenThiessen)
Registered Users

Re: ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS..........

July 14 2010, 10:28 PM 

Very interesting!

And yes, it looks like it's a true story. wink.gif

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

I still remember the first time I was in the Chicago subway. I got off the train and from a distance I could hear a trumpet. I walked through the station, and through a tunnel connecting to another line, and there was a guy, playing a trumpet, quite beautifully, the music echoing off the the tiled walls and celing. Like the commuters in D.C. I just kept walking, but I will always remember that moment.

(Login GMman1)

July 14 2010, 10:36 PM 

I ran across this the other day...a step back in time...the simple acts of kindness, what a concept!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoCFWiIDpA

Carolyn, I also enjoy and appreciate the things you post.

(Login Carolyn_M)

ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS..........

July 14 2010, 10:54 PM 

Steven, I can appreciate your "moment" of a pleasant remembrance. happy.gif

Here is an additional sitehttp://www.truthorfiction.com where once can go to find out if articles, quotes and stories are true or false...

This is where I found the Leno quote to be true...but not the article that has been circulated...

GM, A neat story...reminds me of a "smile" that gets passed on...one simple thing that causes people to almost always respond with...a spontaneous smile in return.

Thank you for your words of appreciation. happy.gif

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Carolyn_M on Jul 14, 2010 11:39 PM

vine
(Login Vinekeeper)

July 15 2010, 5:55 AM 

Good morning everyone!

I'm quickly looking up the radar to see if it's going to rain today. And decided to check in here while at it. Glad I did! Very interesting post.
Funny, because there is an retired man that comes around work sometimes and he stopped by to play for us... He plays wonderful hymns on his accordion. He has gotten into the habit of stopping by my desk to play just one song and then we talk for a few... Then he's off to play for others. It's always a wonderful break.

"And yes, it looks like it's a true story." Just thinking, this is probably what I struggle with the most with what I picked up from the MB. Distrust everything. Was not like that so much before, sure it's good to test things out but, this distrust is different. Know what I mean?

Have a blessed day!

"... that your hand would be with me. ..."

Brent
(Login BrentU)

July 15 2010, 6:04 AM 

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see". Henry David Thoreau

Great quote. Basic things are the most elegant in their realized perfected state - A sturdy four cornered two story house with a parlor, a den, a bedroom and kitchen, an enclosed staircase to the second story with a Victorian porch, all as stark as the mesa it sit on. A vintage six string acoustic guitar made of coveted wood. A simple short story or poem composed to the art of literature. Solid furniture crafted well. The Bible without religion. Sunset on the high plains.

Gaudy and complex beauty can't come close to a simple thing revealed by vision.

Brent

Scott
(Login oldmanrip)

July 15 2010, 6:32 AM 

What is more beautiful than a human soul yearning for connection to the God, the universe, the earth, the past, the future, God, and each other. All art is the vocabulary which attempts to express this.

(Login oldmanrip)

July 15 2010, 6:36 AM 

There are things to beautiful to express with art, but I'm glad someone tries....an act of defending the weak, the grasp through the vertigo towards truth, those rare moments when you feel connected to all humanity, "...and the sentiments and yearnings between a man a woman".

Fred
(Login bawar)

July 15 2010, 6:48 AM 

May God richly Bless your day!

(Login oldmanrip)

July 15 2010, 6:54 AM 

A couple of years ago, I took a trip to Kansas in the fall. As I was driving through the Arkansas river valley towards Salida, there was that Colorado October feeling in the air that is pure undefined beauty and romance. It is similar to, and reminds me of what is between a man and a woman, but it far transcends that. It seems to speak of creator-God. These sentiments are very gentle, and if entertained and pondered, create a gentleman, or gentlewoman, but it seems the best we can ever do is experience these pure feelings in the moment as tantalizing wisps. The sun is very masculine and drives these sentiments away with its harshness, and the night is very feminine and leaves us afraid and insecure. The balance of night and day is evening and morning satisfies something deep in our souls related to hope and accomplishment. This is the blending and balance of the masculine and feminine.

Nas
(Login Naz20)

July 15 2010, 2:05 PM 

Caroyln, if Josh had played "Orange Blossem Special" On his 3.5 mil fiddle,,, he would have had $132, not $32.

He would have the New Yakers dancing on the sub ! happy.gif

(Login Carolyn_M)

ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS

July 15 2010, 5:47 PM 

Perception...what a powerful and all emcompassing word it is.

(Login Healthie)

What you look at

July 15 2010, 8:53 PM 

Yes
If one does not take the time to look and to listen one can miss a lot. Today we took the time to go on a canoe trip. And then we had a picnic basket lunch at the park. Then we did a little 4 wheeling And if I was younger and not driving a $10thou vehicle I may have went a little further.
Life is good.

Amos
(Login AmosB1)

July 17 2010, 6:57 PM 

I believe one big reason some things get esteemed so highly is simply because people are influenced by one another, and if some new thing happens to get highly esteemed or popular, even more people will start to esteem it highly, and then even more.

Certain kinds of foods or clothes or manners often are esteemed very highly, and it possibly all started because a certain popular person promoted them. Yet are the foods and clothes or hair styles really that great? If the wrong person would have promoted the same things, they likely would never have become popular. Too often people dont think or use their own taste buds, but think it must be good because everybody else seems to be crazy about it.

Yet food does seem to taste a lot better when everybody is talking about how good it, rather than talking about how bad it is! It would be interesting to take some new food, and have everybody act like it is outstandingly good and see how new tasters react to it, and then take the same food and have everybody act like it is terrible and see how new tasters react to it! Not saying that music was not beautiful, and we do need to take time to admire and smell the flowers! God made a beautiful world and He wants us to notice!!

Jesus spoke about the things that are highly esteemed among men being an abomination to God, and likely because too often things that are highly esteemed among men, are the very things that proud and vain people have made popular, rather than things that are really basic and good. Some very strange things have become popular and why? Such includes erring and evil religious traditions. May God help us discern what is really good, rather than simply chasing what is popular.

(Login AmosB1)

July 17 2010, 7:15 PM 

GM,

That was a wonderful video you posted on this thread. I think it deserves to be embedded here, hope you don't mind;

(Login GMman1)

July 17 2010, 7:57 PM 

Well thanks Amos. No I don't mind at all.(embed)

I still like the old fashioned values where a man keeps his word with a handshake, where you always try to give more than you get,if you borrow something you bring it back better than you found it(if possible),like cleaned and full of gas,etc.

Current Topic - ITS NOT WHAT YOU LOOK AT THAT MATTERS..........  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Caution: This forum may contain statements and comments that are offensive. If you are easily offended, please exit this forum now. By using this forum you agree to be accountable and liable for your post's. All postings are the responsibility of the posting participant. The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the management.

Click here to see Fair use notice What the CGCM believes, (Stoppels site)