<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

This is a good little article I think!

June 21 2011 at 7:31 AM
Richard Smith  (no login)

A lovely little piece about June and her long career. I found it at http://www.brewdrinkingthinkings.com/.

TV 15th June: TV Great...June Brown
15/06/2011

She has not only appeared in Coronation Street and EastEnders, she has appeared on a Strictly Come Dancing special and a British horror film.

So who is this very talented woman?

June Muriel Brown MBE, better known as her character Dorothy Branning in EastEnders. This much loved soap icon is not only one of the only original cast members still on the Square, but she has taken part in some of the most controversial storylines ever.

Television

Her most famous role has to be that of her character Dorothy Branning who has been married twice, has the most evil son in the world and is now facing a heartbreaking breakdown.

Away from the Square, June has had smaller parts in some amazing television programmes. In her long television career, she has starred in Coronation Street (1970), as Mrs Parsons and she played the role of Lady Eleanor in 1973/74 in the fabulous Dr Who story “The Time Warrior”. She also had smaller roles in medical soap ‘Angels’, comedy drama ‘Minder’ and police drama ‘The Bill’.

Everyone loves a costume drama and June played the part of Mrs Leyton superbly in the very popular costume drama The Duchess of Duke Street (1976), and also played the part of Mrs Mann in Oliver Twist (1985).

She has also starred in the wartime big band comedy Ain't Misbehavin (1997), and played Nanny Slagg in the BBC's big-budget production of Gormenghast in 2000.

In 2010 June decided to take part in the annual Christmas special for Strictly Come Dancing. When asked how she felt about taking part in the competition, she said "I'm terrified and apprehensive about what I've let myself in for, I must be barmy and I'm not sure what's come over me”. June has been the oldest contestant in the show so far.

Films

It’s not uncommon for TV stars to shine on the big screen, so it comes as no shock when we discovered that June appeared in a number of different films, including playing the part of the grieving mother of an undead biker in British horror flick Psychomania (1971), as well as Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971), Straw Dogs (1971), Murder by Decree (1979), Nijinsky (1980), The Mambo Kings (1992) and the hugely successful Mr. Bean movie spin-off Bean (1997).

She also starred in a 1968 TV film called ‘Gentle To Nora’ and had her very first acting role in 1952 in the movie ‘It Started In Paradise’, in which she played an uncredited announcer.

Honors

In 2008, June received an MBE at Buckingham Palace for her services to show business, which was a great honor for the star.

Theatre

June has also been active in British theatre, directing ‘Pin Money’ by Malcolm Needs in London, and ‘Double D’ in London and Edinburgh.

She played Mrs Danvers in a production of ‘Rebecca’. Other plays include ‘An Inspector Calls’, ‘The Lion in Winter’, ‘A View from the Bridge’, and numerous pantomimes including ‘The Witches’, in which her sister also performed.

In 2009, she played Jessie in the West End production of ‘Calendar Girls’ at the Noel Coward Theatre. Also in the play were former EastEnders stars Anita Dobson (Angie Watts), Jack Ryder (Jamie Mitchell) and Jill Halfpenny (Kate Mitchell).

It comes as no shock that this hugely talented actress has played a massive part on our TV screens, theatres and the big screen. What is next for the queen of Albert Square? Whatever she has planned we are guaranteed it will be a huge success, if her track record is anything to go by.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maxine Hope
(no login)

Re: This is a good little article I think!

June 26 2011, 8:06 AM 

Sweet post! That was very kind to June, treated her like the legendary actress that she really is.
But, I'm sure she wasn't in Straw Dogs? Was she? What role did she play?

Respond to this message   
Josh
(no login)

Re: This is a good little article I think!

November 20 2013, 9:22 AM 

Her scenes were cut out from the original film, I'm not sure if they are included on any DVD release of 'Straw Dogs'.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement