CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Return to index  

I used to go through batteries like water until...............

September 22 2005 at 7:38 AM
P  (no login)

Response to Man, I'd like to catch the guy that wired this

I got a really good battery charger/maintainer that would run on a programmed setting, and would once in a while actually overcharge the battery bank to keep it in good shape. I had a Heart Interface Inverter/Charger set up too, and that worked well, except the batteries didn't seem to like it very much.

I now have a good 3-bank charging system From Xantrex Truecharge 40 and it's worked beautifully. The payback of getting a good system, is the fact that the batteries will last a lot longer.

[linked image]
This is what I'm running now and I really like the brand, and would recommend it to anyone (sold at West Marine, and other outlets).

Here's the scoop:

For boats with large battery banks, the Truecharge 20 and 40 pack more features than any other comparable chargers and supports multiple battery types. The TC-20 is intended for boats with up to two 4D or 8D batteries, while the TC-40 will work well on boats with 4 or 8D batteries or multiples in parallel. Both are bulkhead-mount and intended for permanent installations with hard-wired connections. In addition to the basic Truecharge features, these more powerful chargers include: Three position selector switch for AGM, gel or flooded batteries. Three position temp switch (Hot/Warm/Cold), Optional external temperature/voltage sensor for precise voltage control. LED bar graph shows current output plus "Fully Charged" LED. Automatic 21-day refresh timer runs the batteries though all 3 stages for peak state of charge. Equalization stage allows you to reduce sulfating of battery plates, equalize specific gravity between cells & charge battery to highest capacity. Ignition Protection (Meets FCC Class A & UL standards 1236M, 458, 1564).
Number of Outputs: 3
Automatic Functions: 21-Day refresh timer
User Selectable Functions: Temp. compensation, battery type, equalization
Status Indicators: LED
Temp Compensation: Manual or Automatic
Input Wiring: AC Hardwire
Output Wiring: 3 output terminals
Safety Features: Including reverse polarity protection, AC circuit fuses, over-temperature shutdown, short-circuit protection
Waterproof: No
Mounting Hardware: Cabling required
Remote Available: Yes (see models 333438 & 333446)
Approvals: FCC, UL
Warranty: One Year
Optional remote panels display charge current, battery voltage to 0.3 volts and charge state on small LED bar graphs
Optional Battery Temperature Sensor (see model 333420)
TC-20 & TC-40 dimensions: 15" x 6" x 2.25"

This is a beautifully functioning piece of equipment, and I have had zero problems with it, and have not changed one battey in what seems like three years. I need to check the fluid level again, but this system will NOT boil out fluid and it does a superb job keeping batteries hot and ready.

regards, Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Aug 24, 2010 6:42 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.