CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Return to index  

Chris Craft Commander Granite Galley Upgrade

October 2 2005 at 1:29 AM
Paul  (no login)

The galley looked old because it was, and the bad thing was my range door was sprung beyond reasonable repair. It would slam down without warning when we were under way, so I discovered a new use for duct tape. Besides, I wanted a new stainless steel range. We decided to redo the galley in granite.

The only way to get granite to fit perfectly like this, is to prepare a template for the granite company and tell them to make a piece of granite exactly like your template. In order to do the template, I started taping pieces of paper together until I had the entire profile, and I then transferred it to a piece of masonite. The sink is Franke high nickel content stainless, and sorry it’s dirty because it is used frequently. The sink cutout is a very tricky deal.

What may look like a crack in the stone at the sink cutout is actually part of the natural veining in the stone.

The internal mahogany plywood base cabinet under the new and larger sink, comes up under one side of the sink so it had to be trimmed internally. The range cutout was pretty straight forward, but a bit tricky to utilize existing plug and switch locations. It was a careful measurement that allowed the range top to extend upward.

I added the horizontal mahogany glass storage tray just below the window and above the sliding glass utility doors at the countertop. This is quite useful for storage of glasses. Yes, I know you boaters in the Great Lakes wouldn’t be able to keep glasses like this, but we can on the river systems.

This upgrade is modern, but it is an attempt to do a tasteful adaptation in the Chris Craft Commander style, and not something that looks totally out of place (from the home show). The granite we chose has pronounced veins and it is not a regular pebble grain. A unique feature is it has red wine spots already impregnated into the natural stone!

This galley upgrade isn’t going to make your boat go faster. The weight will probably slow it down just a bit. We put the inverter batteries on the starboard side to compensate for the weight of the stone. We think the change was well worth it. The fold down range top acts just like a counter top 99-percent of the time and that’s a functional plus.

regards,
Paul

1966 38 Commander Express
Original 427 power

Edit comment: Photo added
This last photo was taken on April 9, 2006

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Apr 11, 2006 5:15 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.