CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

News (Previous Owner's Son just called with information about the boat)

December 20 2006 at 12:41 PM
Paul  (no login)

Response to Artifacts discovered during disassembly !!

History is what I really love about vintage boats! They all have a history, and without the history they're mere good looking objects, but with the history, they retain their soul and character. Without knowing about the builders, previous owners, where the boat was run, etc., there are too many missing links.

I've often thought "what if boats could talk". What interesting tales they would tell about their outings, their previous owners, and all of the people who were aboard. This is one reason I love to research Chris Craft history, leaning about the people at the helm, corporate expansion, engineering R&D, styling issues, etc.

Knowing the history of an old boat, sure makes it a lot more fun, and I would encourage everyone to track down as much history as possible about each of their boats.

Today Dr. Steve Goodman called, who is a retired surgeon, and his dad, Alfred, is the gentleman who left the registration card in the boat I am presently working on.

Alfred Goodman passed away in 1995 and was not the original owner of this boat. His son, Steven, is looking for any information he can find right now, and will be asking his mother about the history of the boat, and any photos they may have, etc. The conversation was really good stuff, Steven was very interested in where his dad's boat had gone after they sold it, and of course I was very interested too.

Information to date, the boat was purchased by the Goodman family from Bill Morgan, Morgan Marine, and present owner of Hacker Boat Company, building replicas of HackerCraft boats on Lake George. The boat stayed at a cottage on Lake George, in a boat house, lifted out of the water during the winter, and apparently got good care under the ownership of the Goodman family.

Steve kept the boat for a year after his dad passed away, and sold it for something like $7000, not sure.

Since then the boat was owned by Messer' Sikorski, Maynard, and Flower, ending up in Medina, NY and being sold by a yacht broker in Buffalo. It's now in Nashville getting ready for the next 40 years, with a total restoration down to the fiberglass on the inside.

Here is the history of the boat as I understand it today:

Year of manufacture 1966

1966-1970 ?? Original owner, held it perhaps 4 years.

1970?? Guess as to when Alfred Goodman bought the boat.

1970-1996 Boat remained in the Goodman family on Lake George for 26 years.

1996 Boat was sold to unknown person (presently being researched). Here is where the trail gets cold. Not sure where the boat went from Lake George, but I think it went to a location where it ran the Mowhawk River area.

Mr. Sikorsky owned the boat at one time near Albany, and intended to restore it, and kept it at a local yacht club.

Mr. Maynard (who was a member of the same yacht club) bought it from Sikorsky when Sikorsky moved to Florida. Mr. Maynard listed the boat with serial number in the 2004 ACBS directory.

Mr. Maynard sold the boat to Mr. Flower, of Medina, NY, who intended to restore it.

Mr. Pletcher bought the boat from Tom Frauenheim, yacht brokers, located in Buffalo, NY, and transported the boat to Nashville, TN where it is undergoing complete restoration (after said boat was listed on Yachtworld and Steve mentioned it on the Chris Craft Commander Forum!).

Thanks again, Steve, I owe you one! We continue to be thrilled with the boat.

As I obtain more info, and hopefully some family photos of the boat on Lake George, I'll post them here.

Regards, Paul

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.