CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

My solution to cracked engine stringers has arrived !

April 18 2007 at 8:13 PM
Paul  (no login)

Response to * Update on the 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff project (an "almost Commander")

?t=1201621920

I thought I'd drop this photo in, just to show everyone how much fun I'm having. Tools, parts, everywhere! It doesn't get much better than THIS !

The high grade non-corrosive aluminum reinforcing panels are done! A visit to my friendly sheet metal shop (a place where they can just about build anything) produced some impressive results. Not only are the pieces cut exactly to my template, they are also nicely finished on the edges so they won’t cut hands and auto upholstery when handled! Nice job guys!

These are 1/8” thick, based upon the grade of aluminum and the advice of the shop foreman. Together they’ll add a huge amount of structural section modulas to the fir engine stringers.

I initially thought I’d just cut two more stringers from fir, or laminate something together. As I evaluated the outcome, I was aware that the original design was flawed due to the placement of the grain in such a vulnerable location, thus the crack in the first place. Curt’s comment about doing a repair that was stronger than the original design rang home. On a flitch beam design like this, which is essentially a wood beam that is reinforced with the inclusion of a metal section, the beauty of the design is the metal is used in it’s strongest axis, and it is not allowed to bend out of that axis due to the fact that it is thru-bolted to the wood.

We’ll see how it goes. Both wood stringers will be reinforced this way. If it proves to not work, that will give me something to do next season.

Here are some photos of the pieces. You can see the template I cut out of foam-core board. That was placed in the hull and it was trimmed up so it was a perfect fit, sized to be just a little smaller all around than the dimensions of the wood stringers.

Below is a photo showing the 1/8” thickness, which is about 1-1/2 the size of a 5-cent nickel piece of change (US currency). The higher grade aluminum offered an additional level of strength, in addition to being less prone to corrode. I’ll use stainless steel fasteners everywhere. Photos will follow, and a season of running will determine if this was a good fix or not! J Nothing is EVER as easy as it appears at the onset. After all, this is B-O-A-T-I-N-G.

Here’s where the reinforcing pieces go, in case anyone missed the thread. The grain on the stringers is parallel to the load, which is fine, except to the part that is cut upward exposing the grain to splitting as shown in the photo. This is most certainly a design flaw. Chris Craft should have either produced a lamination of sorts, used a different profile that was more protective of exposed end grain, or used the method of reinforcing I am using here in a flitch beam system. It may have been as simple as using a different type of wood other than fir. White oak, for instance, may have been a better solution. In any case, the issue is soon to be closed, and I can get on with the reassembly of this very cool boat.

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jan 29, 2008 11:00 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.