Well today was fun. At 6:00AM I got out to clean up the car, it was quite dirty inside and out. I had a new windshield installed on Tuesday (thanks to a squirrel last fall dropping a walnut high from a tree). After a total vacuum and wipe down inside, using a little Plexus, I washed, waxed, and dressed the outside for a Porsche club rendezvous Janet and I were hosting at the local Yacht Club. Hopefully someone will send me some photos of that. I ate like a horse, visited with friends, saw some awesome machinery both old and new (mine is 22 year old 928, which I work on and love to drive). I came back to work on the boat.
Im pleased to announce the motor is back where it is supposed to be! Here are some photos, and yes, its sitting nicely on that heavily reinforced hull structure and engine stringers. I put a 90 mil layer of EPDM down below the stringer on the front end before I bolted it in tight, thinking this would help settle things in a bit and also take a little shock out of the system if I hit the big one or decided to jump a wake like Ghost Rider, ha! (I seriously doubt that). It was two folds of a 45 mil EPDM roof membrane, which is some very good stuff to have around the shop.
The transmission is scheduled to move back into the boat tomorrow, fresh from Michigan. The new manifolds and risers will go on too. All this stuff is heavy as all get out. Mark, if youre reading this, dont worry about the lifting, Im using a hoist for everything except the risers, and I think I can handle those okay.
Ill re-install the water pump, go to NAPA and match up all new hoses, and will reinstall the alternator. Once I get the motor and tranny in, Ill do an alignment with the shaft, and this time Ill do it a bit different. Rather than read the clearance between the hub and transmission flange, Im going to be looking at the bearing clearance real close too. Visually it will be adjusted to be a perfect visual all around the bearing with no eccentricity. On a small boat I think this can be done, and Ill let you know how it goes.
Below: The motor back where it is supposed to be, notice it has no water pump (removed for impellers and for clearance to install the new fuel pump), and it has no risers (removed due to observation of freeze cracks along the bottom and rust tracks).