CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Nautolex installation

June 22 2007 at 10:31 AM
Paul  (no login)

Response to What glue did you use for the Nautolex floor?

Hi Rickard,

Years ago I didn't have very good results with Nautolex, and I actually used their own glue at the time. I think it was a case of "operator error".

This time I went to my local hardware superstore to see what they had on the shelf, and they had a vinyl floor glue for indoor use, and an outdoor carpet glue. You can guess which one I used.

(Okay, it was the outdoor carpet glue). I was going to use the old plywood flooring because it was there, and because it was still sound for the most part. After looking carefully, I determined it would take as long to clean those up, fill them, patch some spots, etc., as it would to just cut new ones. Since I had a spare sheet of 1/" marine plywood, it was a no brainer for me.

The new pieces got a quick sanding and wipe down, because ANY DEBRIS left will translate into a bump in the final finish, and it's important to wipe the back of the Nautolex too.

I pasted on the glue, and then wiped it back with a glue screed, which is a toothed trowl intended to leave ridges of glue at about 1/8" apart. Then while the glue was still wet (some of it flashes over quickly) I placed the Nautolex down, and pressed it out with a flat piece of wood, pressing all the way down the length of the piece to get the bubbles out and to be sure I didn't have any pockets of glue. After it was nice and tight, I turned the pieces over and ran a line of monel staples down one entire side, and then I pulled the opposite side tight, starting at the center and working out each direction, and stapled those while pulling them tight, just like you would if you were stretching a canvas for an oil painting.

Once everything was stapled up, I put the final pieces on a nice flat floor, Nautolex to Nautolex, so they would press themselves flat while they cured. I put a spare battery on top, and my 30-pound exercise dumbells, etc. to add some weight. The pieces came out looking just fine.

The port and starboard and aft pieces you see in the photo have been removed (they are loose fitted here in the photo) and I am doing the final hook up to the rudder right now, and some final wiring on the aft blower, etc. I plan to have it all buttoned up by the end of the weekend. and it looks like I'll be able to do a water test within the next 14 days.

I'll be working on the remaining two side panels this eve at our lake house, probably have to take time to grill something for dinner, and we'll probably spend a little time on the water too. Otherwise I'll be working on the wiring all weekend long in a final push to get things operational. I am also hooking up a new three way fuel valve, in the anticipation I may experience some of the debris related issues noted by others. This will allow me to immediately switch to another (small) limp-home fuel tank.

Regards, all the best, come see us !

Paul (and Janet)

Respond to this message   

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.