CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

The Skiff is out of the cocoon !!

September 15 2007 at 9:46 PM
Paul  (no login)

Response to * Update on the 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff project (an "almost Commander")

The Sea Skiff came out of the cocoon and got it’s first bath today. All the work that has gone into it has been small bits of time at a time, some shop time, waiting for shipments of steering systems, instruments, various devices like depth sounders and blowers, transmissions, and risers. The main engine stringers were repaired, fiberglass stringers were reinforced. The engine was run, sounded good, transmission sounded terrible and it was replaced, along with some leaking exhaust logs.

Today the boat got a bath and the topsides were scrubbed down with soft-scrub. The chlorine in the softscrub makes it a great product for whitening dirty gelcoat.

All the basics are hooked up, and tomorrow we’ll splash it at the crack of dawn before anyone gets to the marina. I’ll fuel it up at a gas station a few miles from the marina. I’ll have my pyrometer handy, and we’ll just spend the day checking everything and having some fun.

Here are some photos of the work under way.

I have left the instruments out for now, due to the fact that I’m still cleaning things up. They’ll be a piece of cake to install, and I’ll do that in the morning. They’ve already been in and tested, and I decided to remove them for safety during all this fuss.

Here is how the dashboard worked out. Rather than install the cheap masonite with fake wood grain vinyl, I decided to do a custom mahogany dash. It is custom routed on the backside to clear the custom (new) steering assembly. That steering wheel is original, but nothing behind it is. It has all new rack and pinion, and cable drive. That’s a depth sounder on the lower left, put on the port side so the passenger can help keep an eye on the depth. On the right side is an Ivalite control, and there is a sinffer module next to that. All the switches are double pull, so they do the work of two switches. They control a blower, which the boat did not have originally, and two bilge pumps, that have an automatic setting and manual controlled by a single double pull switch.

Here’s a view of the boat showing off some of the mahogany. I’m leaving off the windshield until testing is completed. Also, the keen eye may see the fore deck has not been cleaned off yet. After this photo was taken, we broke out the champagne and had a toast, and then I spent some time scrubbing off all the fingerprints and that fore deck too.

There is a piece of vinyl wrapped plywood missing just below the throttle control and gear selector. I pulled it off so I had access to routing wires up to the dash.

See the next post for more photos taken today....

Regards, Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Sep 15, 2007 10:02 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, ©2018, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.