As Paul can attest to I had some motor issues this summer with the rebuilt motor I did last winter. At the end of the season I found the problem a bad "rear" main seal actually its the front seal on a Q. But I thought I might share some pics of the motor and hoist system I used to replace the seal it's the same system I used to pull the engine last year. Anyway the motor is back in the boat and mounted back up to the tranny etc. The frame I used is rather simple 4x4's for the legs, uprights and top piece 2x4's for the bracing. A small chain hoist 1 ton and a come along to lift the rear of the motor. As you can see I used a few more 4x4's to rest the motor on during the work also for safety's sake I kept some tension on the 2 lifting devices when I was laying down in the bilge dropping the pan and replacing the seal. We did the job in about 3 days including detatching all wiring cables etc lifting the motor and replacing it.
And another view
Due to obvious liability and safety concerns, nothing in this post or those that follow shall be construed as a structural suggestion, recommendation, or endorsement, from Mark, the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc, chriscraftcommander.com, or any other participant here on the forum. We place this notice here in the interst of safety and caution, and by doing so encourage each person who is contemplating a lift of any kind, to use their own best judgement, not rely on anything posted here, and get professional help if necessary.
Thank you for your understanding,
Paul, forum host