CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Return to index  

427 Rebuild and performance

June 28 2010 at 12:39 PM
Randy  (no login)

Response to Nice dissertation Tom

I am just wrapping up the rebuild on the original 427s from my 1969 38' Commander Sedan. I had one break a connecting rod at the end of last season, so they both got pulled out for an overhaul. I will be starting the first one in the next couple of days. I am a 427 purist, but also wanted to get the most power and efficiency out of an already great package and be ready for the E-15 to E-20 fuels, which I hate.

I did a lot of research before starting this project, including talking with Gessford Machine. They were helpful, but hey are definitley catering to high end car guys. I eneded up keeping the original heads and intakes because of how well their specifications fit the purpose. They actually have fairly large valves and ports compared to other FE hardware and should breath plenty well at 4,000 - 4,200 RPM. I went with new valves, springs, and hardened seats. I had both cams re-ground by Erson for use with hydraulic flat tappet lifters. I kept basically the same cam specs for low RPM torque, I just tweaked them a little for a new stroke and displacement. I had the blocks sonic checked and bored 0.020" to clean and true things up since the blocks had been honed once already and had a taper to the bore. I had custom 9.0:1 pistons made by Diamond to match the cams and heads and fitted them to a fully balanced Scat rotating assembly with a 4.125" stroke. The displacement is now around 470 cid, but they should have the same low end torque characteristics as the originals. These engines can safely rev to the 4,800 - 5,000 RPM range if desired because of the balancing and decent stock shaft-mounted rocker assemblies. I build and race a 1/4 mile drag boat with a 496 cid cast iron block burning methanol at 16.5:1 compression using the same cranks and rods. It regularly runs 7,300 - 7,500 RPM with no problems. I won't be doing that with these 427s, but I am hoping to let them rev a little higher with the same reduction gears and props.

I also welded plates in the intake manifolds to block off the exhaust cross-over to help keep the intake manifold charge cooler. I fitted them with Holley 950 programmable throttle body fuel injection systems (700 CFM progressive linkage, four injector throttle bodies) with programmable timing control. I can program the base fuel and timing curves based on a combination of an O2 sensor and an exhaust gas analyzer inserted in the port in the exhaust manifold for the choke heat tube. With the O2 sensors, the ECMs can correct the fuel-air ratio if conditions change.

Any comments? I will post some pics shortly.

Respond to this message   

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.