CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Yes Indeed, that is a Corsair Sea V

January 12 2011 at 10:19 AM
Paul  (no login)

Response to Seems like i got a XL 200 Sea V?

First of all, "WELCOME ABOARD" , we like the Corsair boats around here because they are close limb on the Commander family tree, and these boats whether Corsair, Lancer, Commander, XK, or Sea Skiff, all make great companion boats to the larger Commander cruisers.

Yes Indeed, you have a 20' Sea V Transdrive !

Since you have already found the "mother lode" of info available for this series of boat, you have probably already looked at a lot of the scans like the one below, many of which show a light pole and none of which show anything like that pole you have. Therefore I would say there is a very high probability it is not a Thompson By Chris Craft pole.
[linked image]

My new (about to be published) book delves deeply into the Thompson /Chris Craft culture, as it was the start of the Chris Craft Corsair Sport Boat Dynasty. Your model is very sporting and was quite advanced for its era.

It makes little sense to me to convert an inboard model to transdrive, when just getting a transdrive fully engineered for the job would be light years ahead of the curve. The exhaust pipe cutouts could well have been put there to obtain a sporting exhaust note. They don't appear to be in the proper location for an inboard V8 anyway ( oo high, these were just above the waterline ).

[linked image]

The early SeaV and early Sea Skiff (inboard models) that used the same hull, had wood stringers for the V8 motor applications, and some cast-in forms that your boat does not have. This looks like an authentic Transdrive boat. Later, the Skiff went out of production and the 20' Sea V inboard continued without the wood stringers, with an improved design out of Commander-like hollow box beams motor supports.

It is really good to see another one of these boats get into the hands of a person who knows what it is, and is willing to bring it back. There are precious few left, and they have a great look. They also have a 16-degree deadrise and beautiful flair in the bow, and along with that big windshield they are dry boats intended for being out in big water. We love our similar hull Skiff, even though I have yet to fully restore the windshield. I vow it will never go back in the water without it, however.

Dave Krugler and I have the same Sea Skiff model, his is #12 and mine is #39, out of a two-season production run of 80 boats.
Here is a link to my restoration process that shows just about everything inside the boat you will be seeing, followed by Eric Jensen's restoration thread on his 23' Lancer Transdrive, which may also have some similarities.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1166307789

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1262235140

This boat is ideal for keeping all original, but with a more modern repowering. The "look" and general performance would be the same, and the boat would still give just about every appearance of being original. Keeping the seats and interior original or very similar would also lend more emphaisis to the fact that this is a classic boat.

Some of these had potmetal clamshell intake vents, most are pitted badly now and would be very costly to flame solder repair for rechroming. Some of thes (like my Skiff) had rear clamshells but cast-in fiberglass intakes. Some had cast-in intakes and rear vents. Some had potmetal intake AND exhaust vents. The main hull below the rub rail stayed essentially the same externally, modified for Transdrive or Inboard at the plant. The topsides, however, were a seperate piece that was easy to change, and there are minor variations from one model to another depending on the year of manufacture. The early Corsair had a pretty high raised nose rail, and I think I see that on your boat. Also, some of the Corsair boats did not have the fully operable windshields, but had an individual lower piece that would open up. Your boat has the fully operable glass and that would suggest it is a 1965, 66, or 67 model to me.

Very cool, let us help you in any way we can.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature