* Old Girl Getting new life.January 15 2012 at 12:10 AM
|Greg42sf (no login)|
My girl is sick! She started pukeing up white smoke at an idle while at temperature. That is not good. I have old 871 tti detroits in her gut. Last October the transmission went on the port side. Allison gears are not being made anymore. I fixed her with a 25 year old gear. Re sealed and pressure plates of course. The day we test drove her she was acting up. The results are in. 6 cylinders with broken rings. ( for those who know) there is no cross hatching anywhere in this motor. 3 cylinders with heavy scratching, one cylinder looks like it was sand blasted. O yea one cylinder is soaked in oil. Apparently that is what happens when the head cracks. What is truly amazing is that I ran it home. It still runs. Wow! What else can I ask of her anyway 1978 4500 hours never been majored. That is 34 years old !
We live in a disposable world. I can buy Cummins new factory remans with a transmission for the quote of the rebuild. Of course the Cummins is not installed. Well it looks like I am going to have a busy winter and spring. Repower time.!!1 I am going to put a new heart and soul into the old girl. I will keep posting the progress. My best goal is to be in for the 4th of July. Ok guys start taking bets and put 100 on me. Wait a minute I need that 100. Donation will be gladly taken. Ha!
I will try to post the progress and all the pain and tears. Major surgery comming up.
Last spring I took off the old windsheild on the bridge and put up Costa glass. check it out.
Got to go fishing this summer What a Blast!! 65lb long fin tuna.
|This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on May 15, 2012 4:37 PM|
This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Feb 28, 2012 2:49 PM
- Beautiful boat...........well worth repowering ! - Paul on Jan 16, 2012
- Step 1 - Greg Kay on Jan 30, 2012
- Good going Greg, nice find !! - Paul on Jan 30, 2012
- Cummins 8cta - John Austin on Jan 31, 2012
- Step 3 - Greg 42sf on Feb 6, 2012
- Picked up engines - Greg Kay on Feb 12, 2012
- Unloading complete - Greg Kay on Feb 15, 2012
- There OUT! - Greg Kay on Feb 15, 2012
- Naked and clean - Greg Kay on Feb 19, 2012
- Stockings by the fire place - Greg Kay on Mar 5, 2012
- Painted engines - Greg Kay on Mar 5, 2012
- New bedding for engines - Greg Kay on Mar 13, 2012
- paint paint paint - Greg Kay on Mar 23, 2012
- On the down hill side - Greg Kay on Mar 27, 2012
- Progress! - Greg Kay on Apr 2, 2012
- Progress update - Greg42sf on Apr 30, 2012
- Are we at step 2 yet? Prgress update - Greg42sf on May 8, 2012
- Splashdown - Greg42sf on May 14, 2012
- Working on some glitches - Greg42sf on May 22, 2012
- Repower Madness - Terry Hart on Feb 5, 2012
- Final follow up to repower performance update - Greg Kay on Feb 25, 2013