CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Return to index  

Edelbrock 1409 PCV drilling and tapping

July 26 2012 at 12:52 AM
Paul  (no login)

Hi guys,

DISCLAIMER:

Unfortunately a disclaimer of this nature is necessary due to the fact that we are delaing with a fuel delivery source and this information is sent out over the internet with little or no control. For these same reasons I will not be a part to any recommendations to modify a fuel pump (or in this instance, any recommendations to modify a carb), I hope everyone can understand the need for the following disclaimer becuase it is there for a reason, and that is to provide notice this is a potentially dangerous or costly thing to do, and if you elect to do so you proceed at your own risk.

The following photos and text documentation is provided in the best of faith and to provide information to my fellow boating enthusiasts.
This procedure may not be in conformance with USCG laws or safety regulations, so this information is NOT a recommendation or suggestion, it is only a documentation regarding what I did with my carb for my own personal use. Since there is NO assurance the actual carb body I drilled into is the same as the one someone else may have, and no assurance the manufacturer did not change the internal or external casting, neither I, the Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., nor anyone directly or indirectly associated with this forum shall assume any liability for carb damage, any consequential damage and/or claim in the event someone takes this information and elects to proceed on their own by drilling into a carb.

Thank you,

Paul
Forum host/moderator

Since I have a couple 1409 Edelbrock carbs and may be going for more in the future, I decided I would drill and tap one for a proper PCV installation just to see how it was done, and to also document it so other people here on THE FORUM could use it as a reference. Photo below is compliments of TS Clymer, showing the standard method of hooking from the valve cover mounted PCV valve with a copper tube to the carb.

[linked image]

If the PCV system is not working on these motors you will get a real stench on board, and the fumes will build up inside the sump, making acid and potentially being explosive in the event there is a fuel leak.

[linked image]
The standard Carter AFB carb as provided on the 427 engines has a fitting tapped into the aft side of the carb which is intended to hook up to the PCV system. The photo above shows the fitting as installed in a Carter AFB marine 625 cfm carb.
The Edelbrock #1409 marine 600 cfm carb is a clone of the original AFB and although not identical, it is nearly identical but with some improvements. The carb is not drilled for the PCV system so we have to do that ourselves if we are going to hook things up properly and control fumes, oder and run the system as intended by Chris Craft.

The 1409 has a nice dimple on the front where you can drill. I called Edelbrock and the tech guy was rather set in reciting the company position like a recording machine, saying they tested the carb without the PCV system and it was therefore only certified with the EPA yadda yadda, and he did not want to hear anything about the merits of controlling the odor and fumes that come from a crankcase. He was of absolutely no assistance in helping, yet Edelbrock cast in a dimple where we are given the big hint and a wink to drill for the PCV system.

So I decided to remove the old fitting from the old Carter and drill a new hole so the original fitting could be reinstalled. Here are the drill and the tap that I used to do this.

[linked image]

[linked image]

First thing I did was to tape up all the openings in the 1409 that might get bits of metal from drilling and tapping, then I went right to the drill press and gently started drilling deeper and deeper into the carb body until the hole penetrated into the chamber Edelbrock has also left us for this very operation.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Once the hole was opened up and viewed from the underside of the carb and from the backside, I used some WD40 which serves as a very nice cutting oil for aluminum and ran the tap inside gently screwing it in, and backing it out, then in a little deeper, until the new threads were cut nicely.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The new fitting was tested for a fit, the tap was run again just to remove any additional loose material, a vacuum hose was hooked up from a shop vac to get any filings, and in went the fitting just like the original AFB.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The 1409 was put back on the intake manifold and is now ready to receive the original PCV system hook up.

[linked image]

In the thread that follows we'll take a look at the underside and note why we did not elect to drill the spacer or use a tap somewhere in the intake manifold (that would potentially cause a lean condition in one cylinder).

Regards,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on May 9, 2014 3:22 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.