Well I know its been a long time but the Lancer 427 project is still moving ahead. I do not get much time to spend, as this week-end I was out with my better half having fun doing lots of things but NOT working on a boat restoration project. So in the evening I was able to take care of one little detail and that was the darn dipstick tube.
Believe it or not, with virtually EVERYTHING about this motor being custom from the motor mounts, transmission, water intake and exhaust system, carb, intake, cam, you name it..........now the oil dipstick tube would not fit due to a conflict with the new exhaust system.
For some strange reason I ended up with several dipstick tubes in my parts bin from when I purchased two complete 427 motors years ago, so I took the rusty one and started bending on it carefully until it actually conformed to the new route it had to take. Once I was satisfied with that i took the nice new brushed and painted one and bent it to match, used a small o-ring and some RTV sealant and inserted it into the proper opening and fastened the topside to a new fitting I fabricated out of steel with two holes and a nice twist with a shot of high temp primer.
The original bend was there to work with the big iron exhaust system and this new system is totally different. I was able to re-use the same topside bolt hole and flange, by bending it slightly and using a new piece of fabricated metal to bridge the distance. The old one bolted directly to an exhaust bolt. Once you start changing the Chris Craft cooling system around, you end up with more issues than you can shake a stick at, and this is just one of many.
While I was at it I natually tested the oil sump and it read low. Hmmmm, that is odd so now I am taking this dipstick to the 38 Commander Express and I will compare it with the one on the motor, and see if the reading is the same, etc. The never ending saga of custom work. It is difficult enough to get one back in shape using all original parts. Doing custom work often shows the fact that it was custom when it is done, too, which I am trying hard to avoid the DONE IT MYSELF look.
I have four dipsticks in my shop now, two of the long ones for the starboard motors, and two short ones, and one of them has "427" actually empossed on the darn dipstick. Look here, part number 7878! Well heck that will remind me what motor I am checking at oil-check time.