CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Custom closed cooling system (Glenwood issues)

July 26 2013 at 3:49 PM
Paul  (no login)

Response to Re: This thread has my undivided attention

Okay now you're talking my language.

Years ago I actually purchased two complete Glenwood systems for my 38 Express. Upon delivery of these beautiful castings it was evident that I had purchased something that would take more of a custom application than I was prepared for at the time. The aft end of the riser was in physical contact with a motor mount, it was not necessarily as high of a lift as the stock iron 427 risers, and the flow ports were VASTLY smaller and only one-way. Tt would have taken a complete re-engineering of the system to make those work on the cruiser.

[linked image]

Now 10 or more years later I finally found a use for one set of the logs, and I'm using them on a 427-powered Lancer project.

I can give you some pointers about the Glenwood system, and first off the bat is the fact that it is a one way system, not a "down and back" system like the iron Chris Craft systems. Water flow is also VERY REDUCED from the CC system which relies on velocity to keep from seeing spikes in temp.

Also, with the Glenwood, be sure you are feeding from the lowest point of the exhaust log to assure you are not creating an air bubble (that would be on the discharge end of the exhaust and not the front side). An air bubble in an aluminum exhaust can lead to melt-down.

[linked image]

[linked image]

I have taken specific measures to open up the system for higher flow for this very reason. Also, the use of the standard PRV (pressure regulator valve) is still recommended, because that valve servwes a purpose with the closed and standard systems, similar but not identical, one big issue being the priority feed to areas where air bubbles are not wanted. Your heat exchanger side will need a pressure bleed off capability to dump overpressure.

Ideally you will be modeling your aluminum system to a stock iron closed system, using some of the old components like the PRV. If not, then you will need to find some on ebay and still follow the concept. The Glenwood risers (if you are, in fact, even using risers and not down-pipe discharge ends) have multiple points of opportunity for that final pass through the system before it is dumped out the tailpipes.

Study the standard system diagrams carefully. I seriously do not think you are going to be able to run "all" the water through the exhaust logs so there may need to be some way of splitting up the flow. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with.

[linked image]

Now not to hijack the thread, back to your Q conversion. The routing of plumbing lines is a challenge when using all the stock iron components, but it is much bigger if you are going with the Glenwood exhaust. Never-the-less, it is doable. The Q intake is cast so a Chris-Craft Q type thermostat housing bolts to it. You will need an older style F-type thermostat housing to bolt to your aluminum intake.

Sounds like a fun project and a very cool motor you are working on.
Looking forward to seeing the photos and all.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature