CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Phil..........if you decide to drill and tap yours, call me. (Glenwood aluminum exhaust )

July 29 2013 at 11:34 AM
Paul  (no login)

Response to Re: Custom closed cooling system (Glenwood issues)

I have the drill bit and the tap..........you can use em.

A tip from our machinest of the group, Glenn Feilhauer, is to use WD40 as a tapping lubricant.
WD40 may not have the best reputation for some functions, but it works well in this application.
Using care it can be done. It would have been better if I had found a way to build a plywood vise that would clamp the pieces securely so they could be placed under a drill tower and do it right, but I did mine by hand. It worked for me, but not without risk of cracking or otherwise boogering up a nice aluminum piece. Here are a couple more photos.

The Glenwood exhaust log is engine specific, but the parts that bolt to the log is a system of "one size fits all". In otherwords, you have two choices at the eventual final discharge point from aluminum to rubber hose. For smaller motors it is fine to use the appendage they give us, but for the 427 (and your hi-po motor?) I found it necessary to open it up.

Photos should be self-explanatory.....
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Cutting the ends off is easy, reaming out the inner lip is the tough part, and be prepared to work on it for a while.

Now for the drill and tapping part.
I was so concerned about changing the CC system which is reliant on FLOW that I was determined to be sure my logs and
risers would not be the weak link in the system, so I put in larger size fittings.
These are still very small compared to the size of the stock CC system, so those PRV pods will likely get a workout at
higher rpm. Since there is only one water pass through the system, I am hopeful it will take the flame of a 427 howling
in anger.

The large drill bit will follow the existing hole, but you can see the "drill bit chatter" here is due to the fact that it was hand
held and not done properly with a drill tower and a secure piece. If I were going to do this again, I would get some 2x12 or other
suitable wood pieces and use long bolts to clamp the piece at the angle I wanted, and then find a way to secure it under a drill tower.
That would give a nice smooth bit entry instead of the crude way I did it holding the piece between my knees on a bed of pillows and heavy
canvas cover to keep from scratching up the aluminum. Thankfully I had speed control on the drill bit and used extreme care, and it worked.
[linked image]

Going a little deeper here, exploratory drilling.
[linked image]

Finally opened up, naturally I was being very very careful
[linked image]

When it came time to tap, I lubed it up good and was VERY careful to work it back and forth without trying to cut it all
with one or two passes.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Interesting thing about the Glenwood risers, there are plenty of places to add another tap!
[linked image]

Lastly, when you select fittings you will have a choice of brass, stainless, or aluminum. I chose aluminum due to my running
in fresh water and a compatible expansion coefficient. In searching for fittings, and having some come in, returning them,
getting more in, returning those too, I eventually FOUND a brand (EARLS) that had a consistant inner flow. As you can see from
the photo, there are look-alike brands out there with the same finish on them, but they are not the same internally. I thought
"why would I drill and tap these pieces and NOT use the larger flow piece"? They are not inexpensive.

Photos below show the same 3/4" NPT threaded area, the fittings were both called 3/4" NPT but they obviously have a different outlet
size and differnt internal structure. I have a record of what I purchased in the event you or anyone else will ever need that. Since
you are going to be generating a lot more heat with your motor, you may (also) want to think about some of this. It's a great way to
get to know your riser up close and personal, and spend money on the boat too.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

As you get into your small block Q conversion project, we'll start up a dedicated thread to this, as I know there are a lot of people in
North America and elsewhere who are going to be looking at this information very closely. They are going to need new intakes
eventually, and they may also be interested in the performance upgrade they can get by installing a Performer RPM happy.gif

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature