CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

DUI ( Davis Unified Ignition ) Installation on the 427

August 13 2013 at 10:09 AM
Paul  (no login)

Response to They needed blown out !

As noted, the closed cooling 427 is a much easier swap because the plumbing castings are out of the way. You can see from the photos what I had to do to re-route things. For a moment I thought I might have to have a custom fabrication made, but I ended up being lucky enough to be able to do this myself with little more than a pipe cutter, torch, flux, and solder. The plumbing I installed is freely supported by rubber on both sides, no hard connections, this is necessary to assure long live in a vibration environment. All solder joints were very carefully sanded with 1000 grit paper and heavily fluxed to assure a very strong joint.

As for the actual distributor itself; well it is a drop in with ONE WIRE HOOK UP.
The voltage is so hot I actually opened up the plug gap to something like .052"

Here is a series of photos showing the basic process one must go through to do this swap on a STANDARD COOLING MOTOR.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

REALITY CHECK TIME, UHHH OHHHH, DANG THING WON'T FIT !!!!
Note there is a physical contact with the plumbing casting and the throttle plate assy.
This distributor is very large, contains the coil, everything.
[linked image]

So on that cold winter night I retreated back to my shop where I have a pair of 427 motors. I took a Standard Cooling casting and turned it sideways to see if that might work, and it did !!!!!!!!! I mocked up the copper connections and the modified throttle plate assy, and just went back to the boat and hooke everything up. Two photos below are of my spare engine in the shop.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Here is what has to be done for the Standard Cooled 427 to use one of these big distributors.
[linked image]
[linked image]

After initial size set-up, I decided to add collars at the ends. This adds strength and also helps close the gap nicely between the copper and the inside surface of the hose.
[linked image]
[linked image]

And then the throttle plate had to be cut out (Photo below is from my spare 427 in the shop).
Let the cutting and griding begin!
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Actual work progressed in the evenings during March. Not exactly warm and cozy down there.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Here you can see from this video, no green on any of the hills, as it was still winter time in Tennessee.
Just out doing a test run. This was with the old fuel pumps (little did I know one was starting to fail).
I think this photo was taken on March 9, 2013. Not exactly a warm day, but hey any day on the water is a GOOD DAY !

(same video below, two alternatives to view it)
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Dogsharks/media/305E0EA1-E598-4A01-AEC8-0095696E3EFF-15586-0000119DE9FBE190.mp4.html

http://www.youtube.com/embed/HSCGjIaQAvY?rel=0

The transformation to electric fuel pumps was a very positive one. During this transformation I discovered one of my carbs will fire up the motor instantly and the other one won't unless I hold the choke closed manually. Odd, and I think the reason is the offending carb has a bad accelerator pump inside, we'll see because it will be coming apart sometime soon happy.gif

Here it the thread on how I instlled electric fuel pumps on the 427 big dogs.
Note: I used a LOW PRESSURE CARTER fuel pump on stock Carter carbs. You do NOT want to use anything more than 6 psi on these carbs or you will have to use a pressure regulator and that is just one more thing that can go wrong.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1373732088/My+electric+fuel+pump+system++%28+UPDATED+photos+%26amp%3B+narrative+%29

For now the engines run well but I am still rebuilding some spare carbs. I'll soak and rebuild both at the same time. May as well have a good one waiting to go.

Regards,

Paul
FXA-38-3004-R
Original 327 power

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Aug 13, 2013 1:14 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature