CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Transitional history at Chris-Craft in Cortland, New York

March 11 2014 at 9:37 AM
Paul  (no login)

Response to Interesting view

When Chris-Craft acquired Thompson in 1962 they (Chris-Craft) kept building wood boats at the Thompson plant. The fiberglass plant was built across town (in Cortland, New York) and for a period of time Chris-Craft was marketing the same basic boat side by side, in wood or fiberglass. The traditionalist could get a great boat in wood, the guy who was a bit more maintenance conscious would look at fiberglass closely.

Since I wasn't there at the time, lol, I understand the Ford small block motors with Eaton outdrives that were prevalent in the Thompson line before CC acquired them, were probably just used up and then there was a transition over to the Chevy small block power Chris Craft had used since 1959. Thompson had not been using outdrive for very long but they absolutely and very clearly beat CC to the market and had gone through a learning curve as to how to do it, etc. Therefore during this transition period the boats built at the Thompson wood boat plant are going to be pretty darn rare. The wood boat production facility remained in business during an overlap time also, so there are boats out there like the one we are discussing today, that "look" almost identical to the fiberglass version that followed.

I always thought CC took a mold off one of the wood hulls but Chris Smith said they did not, and said the hull was styled and molded in Michigan. In any case, whoever did the styling on that one obviously paid huge deference to the Thompson heritage and style, which in my view was a good thing and the right thing to do from every vantage point.

finding a user boat in reasonably good condition like this is very special. It shows the wear over the years but it is still basically intact and mechanically operational. I think it would be of interest at the Mount Dora (now Tavares) boat show in Florida where may of the most knowledgable people in North America congregate each springtime to start off the season. I have seen some rare boats there, the WaterCar being one, with a vertically mounted Crosley motor, but this one would be of equal interest too because since the early 1980s and being an organizer (on the international board of directors at ACBS and charter member/president of an ACBS chapter) and having organized and attended many events, and having seen untold thousands of boats............I have never seen the first one of this kind nor have I ever seen an Eaton outdrive. happy.gif I dare say there are many others in this same, ahem, cough, cough, boat. happy.gif

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature