We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !
Thank you for your thoughts and good work coming up with ideas for me and my family. Each of your responses are why I asked my question to this forum - lots of knowledgeable and passionate boaters.
Since I am going to be river based for the next few years I'm not likely to do a sportfish - though we have some catfish and carp on the Ohio that could fill the back deck. Think I need the extra below deck space a sportfish or convertible does not supply.
So Paul, you are correct in your suggestion, though I will regrettably have to find one that does not offer the "Cute Readhead" as you suggest in your photos. I think that would blow the "Buy a Bigger Boat Deal" with my wife and cost me way more than the boat cost. It does show what I want to do with the boat - great times with friends and family.
So with that said, there are many 41, 45, and 47s on the market. I have a spreadsheet with 80 boats of this size that have reasonable listings. Interestingly there is not a great price difference between these 41, 45, and 47'. Good ones fall in a narrow price range and ones needing work fall in a narrow price range. I think I prefer the ones from the 70s versus the ones from the 80. Just don't trust how much the engineers "stripped" out of the materials in the mid-80s and they look well, mid-80's. Main negative to the 70's is the 2 twin beds in most of them.
So a few more questions to the group:
* How hard is it to change a 2 twin master configuration to a queen or king?
* Positive and negatives to the 41, 45, and 47 in "Your Humble Opinions". Speed, handling, efficiency, etc.
* Quick things to look for to tell a good one from a bad one on the listings? I would like to minimize the travel to see these and paying for surveys by weeding them out online, phone and email.
* Max reasonable hours on a gas and diesel engine?
* How much different are interior aesthetic renovations on an older boat versus a house?
* I know this is the "Commander Forum", but any thoughts on Roamers? Paul has made some "Honorary Commanders" so they have to have some positive items.
Thank you all very much and I look forward to reading the replys. It should get very interesting.