CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

Respond to this messageReturn to index
Original Message
  • AHOUY FEELGOOD!
    • Chris Wade (Login wadecon1)
      Posted Aug 4, 2012 7:52 AM

Hello Doug, I am SO excited to here from the new skipper of the good ship "FEELGOOD". The 4x4 was the remnants of the forward sampson post installed at the factory. It was sacrificed when the bow pulpit was installed by a P/O. Good choice on the repower. When I had the boat, the SBC's were fine for my use, that is when I could coax them into reliability. I had cooling system issues that kept causing me to overcook them.

As for the aft deck, when I designed and built it, I wanted it to be replaceable. The sheeting is glued to the framing 3m 5200. A sealant cutter tool will be required the cut through the bond, otherwise you will rip the framing apart too! Remove the molding around the perimeter, go into the bilge and cut the 5200 joint, and pop it out. You will see the weak links in my design and you should correct them this time. I wish I wood have put more crown in the structure, and added scuppers in those forward corners where you step up onto the side decks.

I love to varnish, I hope you do too! The best advise I can offer about "Feelgood" She loves to be varnished, a refresher coat every year will pay off big time. Once you get her looking good again, you might as well by a case of Epiphanes or Captains and a lot of sand paper. Is the finish still okay or did they lose it?

Here are some photos in reference to this conversation. I have hundreds of photos of the boat. Feel free to email me any time. Where do you keep her these days?

Hope this helps, and look forward to hearing more. I LOVED that boat. The only reason I sold was that i hit the trifecta a few years ago....divorce, foreclosure and bankruptcy....all good now though! happy.gif

Yours Truly, Chris Wade

[linked image]
      [linked image]
      [linked image]
      [linked image]
      [linked image]
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)