CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common ! Just start by posting a note introducing yourself to the group, that's all it takes here (we don't ask for or retain any personal information here, because our intention is to just "have fun and share information".

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

* 1966 Corsair Brochure ( Scans ) PART - I ( Chris Craft Commander family tree)

February 7 2007 at 7:10 PM
Paul  (no login)

This is the first of the scans from the Rob DaPron collection. Thanks to Rob for sharing this info with the forum !

A chriscraftcommmander.com EXCLUSIVE !
You're not going to read this anywhere else, becuase it's not on the net anywhere else ! happy.gif

This is an important part of Chris Craft Commander family tree, and an equally important part of Chris Craft fiberglass history. This is an important saga in the Corsair role in developing the Commander 19' SS or XK-19, or the 23' Commander, at the Cortland, New York (Thompson) Plant. There are several smaller (outboard and i/o) models that were built during this time frame, but for now we're concentrating on the larger boats that were in the Chris Craft Commander immediate family tree.

In 1962 CC acquired the Thompson Boat Co. of New York and they immediately started construction on a factory on the adjoining lot, with intentions of getting into the fiberglass sport boat business. Two years after the aquisition, as we know, the 1964 fiberglass 38 Chris Craft Commander Express was first introduced. Prior to this, however, CC was busy at work on smaller boats (too), and this series of scans shows the boats that came out of the Thompson/Chris Craft/Corsair division at Cortland.

The boats eventually evolved into the Lancer line, which is a direct and immediate relative of the 19' Commander SS (which used a cut down Lancer hull) and the 23' Commander (which used the 23' Lancer hull).

Chris Craft not only got a complete division they could dedicate to fiberglass boats, they also got all of Thompson's extensive knowledge of the inboard/outboard business which they marketed under the name of "Transdrive".

Regards, enjoy,

Paul

printer11083.jpg

printer11084.jpg

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on May 16, 2012 6:38 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

1966 Corsair Brochure ( Scans ) PART - I I

February 7 2007, 7:18 PM 

This boat, the 20' Corsair Sea-V Inboard, is almost identical to my 1966 Sea Skiff, but without the (optional) side rails, and the aft air vents which are shown to be cast into the fiberglass on this boat. The starboard side vent is identical to my 1966 fiberglass Skiff. Interior trim is also different.

This appears to be "the first" promo material for the new 23' Lancer. Power is listed as a 150-hp V6. This boat is significant in Chris Craft Commander history, because it is an early and direct relative of the 23' V-drive Commander.

Regards, Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

1967 Corsair Brochure ( Scans ) PART - I

February 7 2007, 7:23 PM 

From the Rob DaPron collection!

The 1967 Cover photo goes to the very sporty 17-1/2' Sport-V Tansdrive. A sophisticated performance boat with respectable power and speed rating, and very nice sharp lines. This boat developed the hull construction techniques and further developed the transdrive setup that Thompson Boat Co of New York had been using in their wood boats, and it was the predecessor of the 19' 1969 Commander Super Sport (which used a V-drive, but also came in the transdrive configuration too).

Next up the line was this 18' Sea-V Transdrive

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Feb 8, 2007 5:03 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

1967 Corsair Brochure ( Scans ) PART - I I

February 7 2007, 7:29 PM 

On these photos, look closely and you will be able to tell they are THE SAME photos used for 1966, but the clamshell vents have been air brushed in, and the cast in place vents of the year before have been air brushed out!

A further development of the 23 Commander hull, this 23 Lancer came with a nifty hardtop design and an optional V8

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Feb 7, 2007 7:30 PM

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

1967 Corsair Brochure ( Scans ) PART - I I I

February 7 2007, 7:33 PM 

And now, the first of the real photos showing the 23' Lancer. Note the power options now which include a single 150-hp V6, a 185-hp 283 V8, and a very interesting pair of 120-hp motors. The twin engine job would have been quite the (rare) boat !!

printer11095.jpg

printer11096.jpg

printer11097.jpg

[linked image]

Regards, Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Oct 24, 2011 2:08 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Here is the first and ONLY 17-1/2' model I've ever seen for sale

May 15 2007, 2:23 PM 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-17-5-Chris-Craft-Fiberglass-Boat-w-Trailer_W0QQitemZ270119375768QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31271QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1966 17’-6” fiberglass Corsair ( here’s a rare piece of CC history ! )

This is an historically significant and interesting find. You won’t see ANY of these anywhere. They’re virtually transparent in the marketplace now, and I have never seen another one for sale.

It’s an early Corsair with V6 power and the transdrive unit. Personally if it were me, I would have to change out the transdrive unit for a modern Volvo or other type of outdrive. The old transdrive would potentially be a problem, but who knows, it may still work just fine.

The boat has ALL the identical hardware to my 1966 20’ inboard fiberglass Sea Skiff restoration project. The same windshield hardware is being used, the same torpedo cleats, same ventilators, same steering wheel, same Morse gear selector, same cheap vinyl on the dash, same very rare nose light hardware, and the same rare-as-heck rub rail.

Looks like it’s Commander blue too!

For the avid fiberglass collector…………………

Regards,
Paul

Here's the boat in CC marketing brochures, under way. Very Cool.

edit comment: last image added from brochure archives, Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on May 2, 2008 6:57 PM

Respond to this message   
Howard
(Login HowardEchols38)

This is an education, thanks !

February 8 2007, 11:22 AM 

Paul, this is some great stuff here. Thanks for posting it, and many thanks to Rob for sending it in. These are some great boats, and it is very interesting how they have a place on the "styled in fiberglass" family tree.

Howard

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Glad you liked it, more to come !

February 8 2007, 12:43 PM 

I agree, Howard, this is some very interesting history. The Chris Craft Commander lineup was predominantly with the larger boats, but there is a very important part of Commander history with the smaller "sport boat" divison too. It was a strategic part of CC marketing, and it helped them dominate the marketplace with very high quality and attractive products.

Regards, Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

1963 Chris Craft Corsair ( and Eaton Dearborn Marine power option charts )

February 8 2007, 12:49 PM 

Here's a look back in time, to when Eaton Dearborn Marine was furnishing power to a variety of boat builders, including Century, Thompson and MFG (as shown on the image below). In essence, Eaton was furnishing power to Chris Craft at this time, as Thompson had just come under Chris Craft ownership.

This is not unlike the Ford 289-powered Sunbeam Tiger, which eventually became part of Chrysler Corp through acqusition, and Chrysler found themselves selling a Ford product. It's also not unlike the BMW powered Range Rover of more recent times, that Ford got through acquisition, and found themselves selling (and warranting) a BMW motor. Since Ford supplied the basic motor to Eaton and Chris Craft, this wasn't much of an issue.

regards, Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Twin engine Lancer (photo)

February 9 2007, 5:40 PM 

Here's one from the archives, thanks to Rickard. Twins in a boat this size would be a lot of fun.

Respond to this message   
Rickard
(no login)

Lancer 23 with twins

February 9 2007, 6:49 PM 

Hi Paul

The picture you posted is a Lancer 25 with twins and below is a 1968 Lancer 23 with twins:

[linked image]

Regards

Rickard

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jun 6, 2009 8:20 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Thanks for the correction

February 9 2007, 9:22 PM 

I appreciate the correction, because we strive to promote "good information" here. Hope you are moving along well with your project.

Regards, Paul

Respond to this message   

Paul
(Premier Login FEfinaticP)
Owner

1963 Missing Link ( Corsair / Commander family tree ) ??

June 5 2009, 7:33 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

Here is the link to more photos and discussion
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1193674715

Regards,

paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Another missing link, 1963 Thompson, by Chris Craft, ( transition from wood to glass )

July 24 2009, 5:18 PM 

Here is a rare find I just picked up on ebay!

We've done quite a lot of forensic research and this is a very interesting find!

This boat has "THE LOOK" of the fiberglass boats that soon followed, and some very interesting features too. Wow, imagind finding one of these in some barn stashed away somewhere! Talk about RARE !!!!!!!!!!!

This was right at the point when Chris Craft, under the ownership of NAFI, began getting things ready for fiberglass production. For all practical purposes, 1964 was the first year, certainly the first year for the 38 Commander, but also pretty much the first year for Cortland NY to be producing fiberglass too. Yes, there are some early ones, that must have been almost hand made in every way. Again, very rare these days.

Check it out, and call me if you see one of these at a boat show somewhere!!

[linked image]

Note, this boat has the identical windshield as the 20' fiberglass Sportsman (Sea Skiff) and 20' Corsair that followed a few years later. It also has the same flagstaff too!

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

February 1964 Motor Boating Magazine, wood and fiberglass Corsair ad ( scan )

May 27 2010, 4:48 PM 

Here we have the first 20' fiberglass Sea-V hull being featured with a 140-h.p. V-8 Transdrive,
along with a fiberglass XL-175 also with the same 140-h.p. V-8, the extremely rare
15' Corsair Jolly Boat designed by Dick Avery, and a wood Sea-V in 18' and 20' length
both with Transdrive. This is right at the very onset of Chris Craft fiberglass boat development,
and literally right "at" the point when Chris Craft unveiled our first 38' Commander.
Interesting stuff !

Regards,

Paul

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
dane
(Login hoipalloi)

need help

November 26 2017, 6:11 PM 

i just picked up a 15 foot corsair, 1964 tri hull cant find info on it the dash board is molded up high and the wind shield is mounted on top the bow is steped down about 6 inches from the gunnel out is raided for 90hp thank you

Respond to this message   

Craig Judge
(Login craigjudge)

Sounds Like a Corsair Jolly

November 27 2017, 1:15 PM 

Same hull as the Castaway but with a different cockpit layout. I have pictures and can upload later. If it is, it's a 66-69

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

1964 Corsair ( Brochure scan )

February 8 2007, 12:54 PM 

Not much out there at the moment for 1964, but here is an odd one. Chris Craft, through Thompson, was offering a foam sandwich panel boat, which shows up in the 1966 brochures on the very small dinghy sized boats. I imagine this design offered a very solid construction UNTIL it delaminated and got water saturated. In any case, this is an interesting view of a 1964 Corsair we don't often see.

printer11098.jpg

Thankfully, Chris Craft didn't build the full size Commander with a foam sandwich panel hull !!

Regards, Paul

edit comment:
Additional info on the 1964 Corsair model year added
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1170345594

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jun 5, 2009 7:30 PM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

1965 Corsair ( Scans ) XL-175 Sunlounger

June 19 2007, 1:29 PM 

Bill Basler, Executive Director of the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club just sent me a note saying he just acquired a boat similar to the one shown in the photo. I congratulated him on the acquisition, because this is a true collectable.

Regards,

Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Jul 18, 2007 10:58 AM

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

The rest of the 1965 Corsair line up ( Scans !! )

June 19 2007, 1:51 PM 

Regards, Paul

This message has been edited by FEfinaticP on Nov 26, 2007 7:50 AM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, ©2015, ©2016, ©2017, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied. Search Feature