CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Update from the KIMBERLY ANN, still on the way home from Bay Harbor.

June 29 2010 at 2:07 PM
Paul  (no login)

Just got a call from Al, he's stuck in Harbor Beach right now, and said someone walked over and told him they recognized the boat from it's exposure on the wide world web. Al also said they have a live cam at this place, I just looked it up at the address noted below (it's a little jumpy) and there's the KIMBERLY ANN docked. Al said he may have to stay a day or two due to winds that are picking up, etc., so hopefully things will settle down. The pathway in red shows the travel distance so far, and the green shows the route yet to be traveled.

http://www.huroncounty.com/?HARBOR_BEACH_WEBCAM&page_id=6

[linked image]

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
anonymous
(no login)

Re: Update from the KIMBERLY ANN, finally arrived home !

July 7 2010, 3:13 PM 

Well Al and Kimberly are back home finally. They had to wait out some rough weather and finally had a glass smooth surface to run on, and they ran for 11 hours straight at something like 25 kts.

I heard of the danger they experienced coming through Mackinac and the Grays Reef area, and a trawler had lost both engines and was in trouble in some pretty testy weather on the way to Bay Harbor, but Al and Kimberly made it through in good shape. Looking at the charts I see this is a pretty shallow area and if you don't know what you're doing at the helm it could get pretty scarey in rough weather. Take a look at this!
[linked image]

regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Also returned to port

July 7 2010, 3:35 PM 

We also arrived safely in Sturgeon Bay about an hour ago from a couple days on Washington Island. Time to start working hard on the 19 SS.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

It was quite a trip for you guys....

July 8 2010, 6:35 PM 

Hey Mike,

Our trip was a whirlwind of 5 days, but you had a lot more fun than we did. While I was sitting in the Chicago Airport waiting on a delayed flight, you were on the boat, tough duty!

We were very pleased to see you and Sue, and the fine 35' Commander you brought to the show. I especailly liked the nifty bar setup you have, ha, that is something to strive for! It may not seem all that important to you guys at the moment, but it is quite the coup to have a fiberglass Commander being invited to a Bay Harbor show, and even getting into a Bay Harbor show at all. This event sort of broke the ice for the Commanders I think, and I can tell you for sure that ACBS and CCABC both took note of this in a big way. In September there will be more focus on the fiberglass Commander, so you have done your part to help this series break into the antique and classic boating appreciation and recognition.

During discussions with some of the top guys at ACBS, who I hold in very high regard, they referred to our boats as "non-wood". I grinned, and asked them to parse their lips in order to say the letter "F", followed by the entire word "FIBERGLASS", and told them they should learn to say it, ha. One of the guys chuckled, then grimaced, and said something like "that's not going to happen". Knowing his particular background doing world class exquisite wood boating work, I don't hold it against him at all, but the movement nationwide and internationally too is to finally recognize these glass boats now that some of them are getting to be 40+ years old. The Dick Avery designs are way under-rated and under-appreciated, and my bet is those designs will speak loudly for themselves as time goes on, and people will appreciate them for what they are. If we can give all of that a boost, so much the better. I appreciate your help doing this, really appreciate seeing such a nice 35 in the harbor, and I saw many people looking the boat over carefully.

Of great importance, the judges for this event also looked the boat over very carefully, and I explained what it was.....an Avery designed 35-foot Commander Sports Cruiser! The Commander is coming into it's own. Would you believe............I know for a fact that at the upcoming ACBS ANNUAL MEETING they are even preparing an award for "THE BEST FIBERGLASS COMMANDER"

It wasn't but 10 years or so ago that Curt Radford was snubbed and turned away from entering a "wood boat show" because his Commander was glass. Now fiberglass Commanders were actually invited to Bay Harbor, and now again to the ACBS Annual Meeting. Sometimes things move slow, but in ten years there sure has been a shift in perception, along with all of us and all of our boats also getting older at the same rate!! happy.gif

Keep us posted on your 19' Commander project!

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

The Fiberglass Commander finally beginning to get it's due at the highest level of boating

July 8 2010, 8:02 PM 

Hey Mike,

I know you have the program, but for the others who may not realize the significance of the show, here it is in print.
The mere mention of fiberglass Chris Craft Commanders at an event like this is earth shaking in boating circles!

This is why I put so much thanks to you and Bill Policastro for showing the Chris Craft Fiberglass Flag in such a fine matter. I will bet you many of those collectors didn't know a 23' Commander even existed, nor did they know what a Sports Cruiser was? Exposure like this will help in some small way to assure the appreciation factor stays alive, maybe it will actually catch fire?

[linked image]

Lolly, by the way, did a very masterful job of communication. She is a pro all the way, and I am sure that is why Bay Harbor has her in this position.
What a pleasure it was to work with her.

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

Bill Policastro made it home too !

July 8 2010, 8:06 PM 

Bill made it home on land, although he did not have to go too far, his Commander made a real impression at the show too.

[linked image]

I have to really hand it to Bill, he put forth a super-human obsession to get the boat repaired after scraping the underwater gear off just days before the show. Man he deserves some sort of an award for that. All you guys went way beyond any reasonable expectation. Pretty amazing.

Did I say thank you enough?
Well here's another THANK YOU to Mike, Bill, and Al.
You guys are a lot of fun to hang out with, even if we didn't have the biggest show in town, we had the most fun and made a difference too.
Remember, that money raised goes to charity.

happy.gif

Regards,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Supersidebar

July 8 2010, 11:35 PM 

It is the first thing Sue said we had to get when we saw one on Lorimers 47. supersidebar.com

We had a great trip and hope to get the 19 done for Sept.

Glad to help in getting the boats recognized. There are many that are in better shape than ours and all the models are special.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Paul
(no login)

I was impressed...........

July 9 2010, 11:21 AM 

...........and I appreciated the attitude adjustment too on board.
Although there were way too many distractions, boats, cars, motors, sounds, food, more boats,
people, cats, dogs, more dogs, weather, announcements, boat rides, sheesh, I sure did appreciate
the short time aboard with you and Sue, chilling out. Thanks again, good times!

I must say, I stood there in amazement when you dialed up a scotch!
[linked image]

As for the 19, good luck getting that boat done for the September show, that's a LOT of work.
That model is a pretty fast transport through the chop! You'll find you can cover a lot of water fast.
[linked image]

One thing I noticed with the little 20' Skiff project, after running a cruiser at cruiser speeds
for so long, I'm really having some fun with the Skiff at runabout speeds again. I have a much
faster boat (17' light weight wood CC Sportsman with V8 power, presently in the shop) but the
Skiff will cover 14 miles pretty nicely and that's the run we make to our favorite waterfront
restaurant. Making that same run aboard the cruiser would be fun, relaxed for sure, with all
the amenities, but sometimes speed is fun too. The Skiff rides like a limo, by the way,
so your 19 would be smooth as silk.

[linked image]
[linked image]

This boat is thanking you now, for taking ownership.
Anyone who will go to this extent is obviously obsessed with doing it right!

Regards,

Best,

Paul

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Together for good

July 9 2010, 5:56 PM 

The deck and hull have been mated for about a month. I think several tubes of 5200 will do the trick. Not much work has been done in the last few weeks but deck and hull sanding have started prior to the first coats of high build primer. The new decking has been cut and dry fitted along with most of the rear seat frame rebuild.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   
Dave Mehl
(no login)

The boat is thanking you now

July 9 2010, 6:24 PM 

Mike,

I think the boat will retun many good favors back to you for this level of work. Thanks for the photos, it is fascinating to see something like this taking place.

Dave

Respond to this message   
Tom Slayton
(no login)

Re: The boat is thanking you now

July 9 2010, 6:54 PM 

Yeah Mike, I don't think it's coming apart anytime soon. Once that 5200 sets up it would take a 55 gal drum of chemical release agent to break that bond. It also has a little flex built into it too. If you fasten with stainless steel (I can't tell from the photos if you have done so or if those are just drilled old fastener locations) that just gives it more strength. She's going to be a new boat when you get done with it.

Interested in the mechanicals, have you had a chance to test those? What are your plans. I would be tempted to pop em back in and run em, as they can always be pulled out for service and replacement later if necessary. The boat was running when you got it, right?

Tom

Respond to this message   
Mike W
(no login)

Fastners

July 9 2010, 7:12 PM 

Hull was riveted on and those holes were filled and new screws will be used. You can still get the same Taco aluminum rub rail. There were #8 bronze machine screws about every foot and those were replaced with stainless. Basically they were just used to pull everything together but have to add something.

Everything was stripped so there are no through hulls etc. The engine is a recent rebuild so it should be fine but I have to pull the risers to find a blockage. Not expecting any issues so it will go in at the end with the expectation that it will run. I did have it running briefly in the driveway with crummy gas. The tank has been reconditioned. The tranny is ready for shipment to be reconditioned but the shop is awaiting the gasket sets. We'll flip it over to work on the bottom. There were many bad pockets. Still a long way to go.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Update from the KIMBERLY ANN, still on the way home from Bay Harbor.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.