CHRIS CRAFT COMMANDER FORUM ® .......A photo-intensive technical reference file and ongoing newsletter regarding the original fiberglass Chris-Craft Commander series. This is an independent not-for-profit and non-commercial web site, not affiliated with the Chris Craft Commander Club ~~ or ~~ Chris-Craft Corporation. Our mission here is to "have fun and share information" about the Commander series (and those associated fiberglass boats on the Chris-Craft family tree) for your individual personal use, and by doing so help promote the good name of Chris-Craft, and help preserve, restore, and appreciate Chris-Craft boats. The main reference feature is the ever expanding MASTER INDEX File which contains what we believe to be the world's largest collection of documentation photos and technical information on the Chris-Craft Commander line of boats, (like these original brochure scans, featuring the iconic first 38 Commander styled by Fred Hudson, and many of the great Dick Avery renditions that followed) , (a huge collection of Chris-Craft 427 tuning and specification information), and a few words about how to use the forum.

We extend to you a cordial "WELCOME ABOARD !" Come on in, make yourself at home, we are a friendly group of enthusiasts, and we also appreciate the classic Chris Craft Roamer, Corsair, and Lancer boats too , as they are all on the same family tree and share much in common !

This forum is registered as chriscraftcommander.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Random, rambling observations and the power of intention

December 13 2011 at 10:35 PM
Chris Wade  (no login)

Paul and The Forumators:

I had to condense these thoughts and ideas into one random thread in and effort to conserve some bandwidth. HA! Never......
1) Paul, in reference to the monthly update, thanks for your contribution to the hobby. As always, you are the man! This place is invaluable to those of us temporarily and/or happily on the outside of the asylum looking in at boatnuts and their Commanders, Lancers and other C.C.
2)The video of varnish being applied seems to illustrate that even Carlo was somewhat profit driven. A fortune spent on the facility, but not an ACBS caliber painter to be found on the staff...Seriously though, awesome vid. I think everyone benefits from seeing that interesting historical moment in the birth of a Riva!
3)Nice to hear from Steve Smith of "Smith's C.P.E.S. Developing an email rapport with him the last couple of days, after running into him on "Thee Forum"
4)Watching Jerry add another CCC to his fleet makes me realize just how rich with friends I am . You have all heard the saying, "I don't need a boat , I have a friend with a boat". Well, I have a friend.....he has so many Commanders nobody knows for sure just how many he has. Especially Nadia....kidding, believe it or not, she has a short leash on Jerry otherwise he would own the whole dang marina and even more Chris Crafts!
5)Finally the last thing to share...I have been lamenting the lack of Commanders within an 80 mile radius of my home base to work on. (I'm hoping in the future to change that!) And then along came something interesting. The proprietor of a local woodworking store that I know has started a reproduction build of a step-hull hydroplane Gold Cup racer!! I have volunteered to help him bend the chines and sheer clamps in a week or two. That should quench my thirst for nautical activity for a while. Man, I hope he lets me help varnish!!!! happy.gif

Thanks Forum, CW

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(no login)

Random rambling baaack

December 14 2011, 3:16 PM 

Hi Chris,

First of all the work on the Gold Cupper sounds fabulous, and that brings the next question of "which one is it"?

Secondly, the CEPS thread is great, but I honestly would never use the stuff on a mahogany speedboat brightwork, as I fear the worst when it comes to removal during a necessary restoration. As Kevin found out, coating one side of his was a mistake, and people even shy away from using polyurethane on woodies because it is brittle, will crack along plank lines, and it is pure hell trying to remove it. The CEPS seems to be a product to be used on a "non-heirloom" type boat, where the act of application is intended to be the last. I have posted a couple questions for Mr. Smith and I certainly want to learn more about his thoughts, at such point in time he is willing to discuss them.

best,

Paul

Respond to this message   

cwade
(Login wadecon1)

Good Point

December 15 2011, 10:01 PM 

Good Point Paul, I have been thinking about the cpes from that perspective and it certainly does bring up a good question. It would suck to make the job of stripping to bare wood an even SUCKIER job! I gotta call Kevin and hear more about his experience.

My pal may have over stated the description of the boat he is building a little bit. I have been researching the plans he sent me to review. It is a Zephyr 16 design taken from A.A Apel. Haven't found out much more yet. Gold Cup Racers were much larger I thought. He said he will be powering her with a 1939 falthead ford v8. It is none the less a very sweet design and I am thrilled to help and participate. Hmmmmmmm? I wonder if it would out run a 23'Lancer with Big Dog power? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to index  

Contact the Chris Craft Commander Forum
chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com

©2005, ©2006, ©2007, ©2008, ©2009, ©2010, ©2010, ©2011, ©2012, ©2013, ©2014, Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., ®, also known as ChrisCraftCommander.com. and the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc.; Information and intellectual property on this not-for-profit non-commercial site may be copied for individual personal use, but any other reproduction or use requires written approval. Any entity who mines this site for names, material, or their other commercial/financial benefit in any way is subject to copyright and intellectual property law; the integrity of this site will be aggressively protected. The material here is for individual personal use and is not to be otherwise used or reproduced. Chris Craft is a registered trademark of Chris-Craft. Neither Chris-Craft nor any subsidiaries of Chris-Craft shall bear any responsibility for the chriscraftcommander.com content, comments, or advertising. Chris-Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is independent from Chris-Craft Corporation, and not affiliated with the Chris-Craft Commander Club in any way; it is an independent educational-based not-for-profit entity that is intended to share free information and have fun. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied.